What toys did you grow up with?

What toys did you grow up with?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
25 Sep 15
1 edit

Promoted by a comment elsewhere I thought this might be a nice non-controversial topic.

What games or toys do you strongly remember at certain ages?

Early age stuff:
I had a massive gun called a Jonney 7 when I was about 7 and I loved some robots called Zeroids when I was about 10. I also remember a race track game called Minic (before ScaleXtric).

Anyone remember these?

Moves
25 Sep 15

Space Hoppers

'Chopper' bikes

Chemistry sets (LOL)

F

Moves
25 Sep 15

Lego.
Meccano.
Hornby model trains.
Airfix kits and soldiers.
Cluedo & Colditz.
Strategy & Tactics (magazine) board games.
Grundig reel to reel tape recorder.

Also:

Cricket bat.
Horse.
Guitar.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
25 Sep 15

Football.

However, if you wish to keep a thread non-controverial, I will
not tell about how at the age of 5 I managed to sneak into my
older brother's room and check out his adult mags.

F

Moves
25 Sep 15

Originally posted by divegeester
I also remember a race track game called Minic (before ScaleXtric).
I had one of those sets... in fact two or three sets joined together plus extra straights and stuff which allowed the design of superb circuits - although I seem to remember having to enhance the power in some way to support the length of the track.

Moves
25 Sep 15
4 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Lego.
Meccano.
Hornby model trains.
Airfix kits and soldiers.
Cluedo & Colditz.
Strategy & Tactics (magazine) board games.
Grundig reel to reel tape recorder.

Also:

Cricket bat.
Horse.
Guitar.
Ah soldiers! Yes the ones I had were about 3 inches high and the Germans were a blue/grey and the Brits green. There was an Africa Corps set which were imaginatively sand coloured. I also remember having some military vehicles but these were a different scale. I used to take mine to my friends house and have battles. Happy days.

Edit: how many typos can I make in a single post!!

Moves
25 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
I had one of those sets... in fact two or three sets joined together plus extra straights and stuff which allowed the design of superb circuits - although I seem to remember having to enhance the power in some way to support the length of the track.
Yes they around in the 1960's. Smaller than scaleXtrix which I seem to remember came out in the 1970s.

Moves
25 Sep 15

Star Trek annuals.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Sep 15
1 edit

Promoted by a comment elsewhere I thought this might be a nice non-controversial topic.

Early age stuff:
I had a massive gun called a Jonney 7 when I was about 7 and I loved some robots called Zeroids when I was about 10. I also remember a race track game called Minic (before ScaleXtric).

Anyone remember these?
Nice topic.

I think this would vary between people who've grown up in different countries/regions, and there must be gender differences as well.

From as early as I remember, I had a room full of dolls and stuffed animals. As I got into school, more 'educational' toys and games (board games like Candyland and Chutes and Ladders, and of course card games like Old Maid and Go Fish). As I got older, I was given things not traditionally considered 'for girls', like a telescope and those little science kits (I even remember getting a train set when I was about 10) along with the more traditional bicycles and skates. And then I became interested in music and started collecting musical instruments and learning to play them all. Never learned the stringed instruments, though.

I think my father taught me chess around 8 years old.

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
25 Sep 15

all my generation had to play with was the great out doors

Moves
25 Sep 15

Originally posted by redbadger
all my generation had to play with was the great out doors
What are you Victorian?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Sep 15

Early age stuff:
I had a massive gun called a Jonney 7
OMG
The JohnySeven!

1. Detachable Pistol (caps)
2. Rifle (white bullets - easily lost)
3. Machine gun (rachet system on right of gun)
4. Grenade Launcher
5. Side launcher (red torpedo)
6. Rocket (front launch)
7. Rocket Grenade (looked like an ice-lolly and launched from either side or front)

Best prezzie ever.
I was 8 or 9.

Following year it was a chopper.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Sep 15

Originally posted by wolfgang59
OMG
The JohnySeven!

The British version did not have detachable stock and
was not called the OMA (One Man Army)

Australia

Moves
25 Sep 15
2 edits

My parents ran several businesses, and kids got in the way. Most of the time we had to play outside - bicycles, tree-climbing, and an old railway station bicycle-rack for a home gym. Inside the house it was only books (real ones from the library mostly, comics were frowned upon but we occasionally had them) and jigsaw puzzles and things like Snakes and Ladders. We had things like wood-chopping and working in the shop to do, as well as homework, so there wasn't all that much time for fun stuff.

I went to help out in a small country toy store at age 19, and remember being surprised to discover all the stuff that was available for kids to play with. I spent one Saturday morning alone in the store, happily playing with a GIANT box of Lego bricks (meant for sale per-piece) and every customer that came in that morning bought some! The whole box had gone by the time the shop owner came to lock up.

F

Moves
25 Sep 15

Star Trek annuals.
Blue Peter annuals (often acquired a year after they were published at jumble sales) although I was a Brit kid who rather straddled the Blue Peter v Magpie rivalry.