What toys did you grow up with?

What toys did you grow up with?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
25 Sep 15

Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
Lots of wooden toys, some made by my father. Corgi die-cast cars. I remember a brilliant Fisher-Price cash register -- my sister's kids actually played with it the last few times they came over to England. An Aerobie and one of those three-pronged foam boomerangs. Tennis and badminton equipment. Lots of Commodore 64 and, later, Amiga 500 games and Mac software. And many, many books.
I thought toys arrived to England until the 90s and, before that, you
people played with knives and empty pint glasses. What a refreshing
discovery.

Über-Nerd

Moves
25 Sep 15

Ah, books. I discovered Jules Verne about age 8 and read everything I could get by him at the library.

N

Moves
25 Sep 15

Originally posted by Seitse
I thought toys arrived to England until the 90s and, before that, you
people played with knives and empty pint glasses. What a refreshing
discovery.
I thought you Americans ate your toys, along with everything else.

N

Moves
25 Sep 15
1 edit

Originally posted by moonbus
Ah, books. I discovered Jules Verne about age 8 and read everything I could get by him at the library.
My favourite author was Roald Dahl. I also loved John Wyndham, especially The Chrysalids and Chocky.

Moves
25 Sep 15

A GB free forum.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
25 Sep 15

I thought you Americans ate your toys, along with everything else.
Those yanks really do that. I witnessed it!

Luckily I am not one, boyo.

N

Moves
26 Sep 15

Originally posted by Seitse
Those yanks really do that. I witnessed it!

Luckily I am not one, boyo.
Are you a Welsh-Mexican Muslim?

Moves
26 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
Blue Peter annuals (often acquired a year after they were published at jumble sales) although I was a Brit kid who rather straddled the Blue Peter v Magpie rivalry.
Me too although I think overall I preferred Blue Peter.

I also had the Dr Who annuals up to 1976

Moves
26 Sep 15

subbuteo was a football game I never got fully into but was fascinated by the different sets, league edition, championship edition, World Cup edition etc.

http://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Sep 15
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
Promoted by a comment elsewhere I thought this might be a nice non-controversial topic.

What games or toys do you strongly remember at certain ages?

Early age stuff:
I had a massive gun called a Jonney 7 when I was about 7 and I loved some robots called Zeroids when I was about 10. I also remember a race track game called Minic (before ScaleXtric).

Anyone remember these?
My dear parents sacrificed to provide their four sons and one daughter gifts at Christmas and on our birthdays: Toy Soldiers; an Army Doctor Set; War II Model Planes; a Chain Driven Tricycle and story books with pictures are a few of the ones I remember from the age of three to five.

Note: Thanks for "a nice non-controversial topic.".

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
26 Sep 15
1 edit

Deep south, US, 1950's.

Toy soldiers, toy cowboys and Indians, Tinkertoys, Lincoln Logs, marbles, tops, yo-yo's, bb gun, and bicycles.

I now see the common factor in all of them was <I> had to make things happen and that might be the best thing about them. 😉

edit: Also this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/249236886/vintage-tudor-tru-action-electric?ref=related-1

Still remember the buzzing sound and spending 30 minutes trying to get a touchdown because the pieces never went in the direction you pointed them.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Sep 15

Originally posted by MontyMoose
Deep south, US, 1950's.

Toy soldiers, toy cowboys and Indians, Tinkertoys, Lincoln Logs, marbles, tops, yo-yo's, bb gun, and bicycles.

I now see the common factor in all of them was <I> had to make things happen and that might be the best thing about them. 😉
Great memories....

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Sep 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Great memories....
I remember my first bicycle: a red J.C. Higgins, single speed w coaster brake, front basket, and fenders.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Sep 15

Originally posted by moonbus
I went through that phase too, until I discovered Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov and Heinlein.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
26 Sep 15

Are you a Welsh-Mexican Muslim?
Just your average ranch dressing-drinking Samoan.