1. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 21:49
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Tygert, here's a slightly different list which dovetails with yours. The biography of first of the top ten (with photos) is shown below: "10 People With The Highest IQ Ever Recorded" by Staff Writers

"The human brain is perhaps the most mysterious part of the body. It is so fascinating that it makes us wonder—what is there with it that makes some peo ...[text shortened]... vard Law School at 18."[/i]

http://opishposh.com/10-people-with-the-highest-iq-ever-recorded/
    We are looking at the same list for certain.
  2. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 21:53
    Originally posted by Agerg
    No embarassment here, one day, when you grow up, you'll realise the virtue in a simple "yeah, I could have worded that better, let me rephrase..." instead of insulting others for your own screw ups
    That's why there's an EDIT function. To correct badly worded sentences. You are clutching at straws as 1. I edited it after the first comment to clear that up. 2. You continued being rude after you read the edit which explains everything.
  3. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 21:56
    Anyway I don't time for this silly bickering and my thread has been sabotaged by trolls. Time to go to sleep and goodnight.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 21:58
    Originally posted by Tygert
    That's why there's an EDIT function. To correct badly worded sentences. You are clutching at straws as 1. I edited it after the first comment to clear that up. 2. You continued being rude after you read the edit which explains everything.
    I'm sorry but I have to ask this based on this post; do you think "education" has anything to do with IQ?
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 21:58
    According to the Stanford-Binet system, mine is 161. Is this good or bad compared to the average person?

EDIT: what is it like compared to the average chess player?
    I'm such a good chess player that I've learned to express my IQ in words. Strangely, the words are exactly the same, and in the same order, as Kafka's Metamorphosis. But without any punctuation whatsoever. There is no such thing as the average chess player, or the average person/insectoid, for that matter.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 22:00

1. William James Sidis (Photo credit: Wikipedia) "Born in America in 1898, William James Sidis was a wunderkind extraordinaire, gifted with an astounding IQ estimated between 250 and 300. This polyglot went to a grammar school when he was only 6 years old and graduated just within 7 months.

As if that wasn’t impressive enough, at the age of ...[text shortened]... vard Law School at 18."[/i]

http://opishposh.com/10-people-with-the-highest-iq-ever-recorded/
    Here's the rest of the story, Bobby, the facts before the mythology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis
  7. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 22:181 edit
    I escalated it? You were the one having a whole harangue over a simple misinterpretation of the question. A bit of an ignominy, don't you think? You are embarrassing yourself further by refusing to accept the correct meaning of the OP.
    According to the Stanford-Binet system, mine is 161. Is this good or bad compared to the average person?

What is the correct meaning? If I were to answer this based on the correct meaning my answer would be yes since the average test taker scores 98.45 and 161 is considered genius level.

I don't know what my score is yet as I just took it but I finished the test in about 20 minutes and I am sure I answered every question except two correctly. The two were comparisons of different images and they didn't load correctly.

Based on your results what do you think my score will be? IMHO this test has nothing to do with intelligence and can easily be aced by anybody who has a firm grounding in algebra.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 22:32
    164, but that's Fahrenheit.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 22:361 edit
    We are looking at the same list for certain.
    Yes, an oversight. In my opinion, the brief biographies and photos are worth visiting the site.
    Get some sleep. Thanks for stimulating a little activity in this dying forum. -Bob
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 01:152 edits
    Yes, an oversight. In my opinion, the brief biographies and photos are worth visiting the site.
    Get some sleep. Thanks for stimulating a little activity in this dying forum. -Bob
    The story of Sidis was pretty grim, for instance, getting fired from a calculation job because they caught him using his head instead of a primitive adding machine. He is said to have anticipated black hole theory 25 years before anyone else but ended up broken and collecting subway tokens for a hobby. He was basically run out of academia on a rail because nobody could stand him for being arrogant in the extreme. It's too bad he was so vocal about calling people stupid, extremely intelligent people at that. I often wondered how he would have done in chess had he taken it up.

My own IQ I think clocked in pretty low, only around 140, not very high on the real intelligence totem pole.

But Richard Feynman was reported to have an IQ of about 126 so IQ by itself is not a good predictor of success in the real world of science.

Unless you get to 190-200 area. That was the area of Leibniz, the German math guru who invented calculus independently from Newton. His sign for integration is used today.

I thought it pretty amazing that people had been sniffing around the idea of calculus, ancient math papers from thousands of years ago talked about cutting angles into smaller and smaller pieces and such but when it was finally invented for real, 2 people do it at almost the same time!

You look at people like Marylyn Vos Savant, and she was up there with one of the highest IQ's ever recorded outside of Sidis but you didn't see anything like Nobel prize work coming from her.

Someone asked her once, what have you done? She replied, well, I wrote a book...(in jest of course but the fact remains she didn't live up to her potential)

They say you can chart the strength of chess players by IQ but only up to an IQ of about 125, after that all bets are off.

A person's humility is as much valued as any IQ number. Feynman is one example, showing up at undergrad parties banging on a bongo drum, being a real person as well as a scientific genius.

That is how you should judge intelligence.

In the end, affability and humility is a better judge of character.

You can have a Ferrari engine brain but if you are just stuck telling people how smart you are you are just wasting your big brain, it has to be coupled with the real world in a meaningful way not just sliding through life content with just telling everyone about your Ferrari engine brain.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 01:54
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The story of Sidis was pretty grim, for instance, getting fired from a calculation job because they caught him using his head instead of a primitive adding machine. He is said to have anticipated black hole theory 25 years before anyone else but ended up broken and collecting subway tokens for a hobby. He was basically run out of academia on a rail because ...[text shortened]... ot just sliding through life content with just telling everyone about your Ferrari engine brain.
    Good post, but your 140... is not low.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 02:26
    The story of Sidis was pretty grim, for instance, getting fired from a calculation job because they caught him using his head instead of a primitive adding machine. He is said to have anticipated black hole theory 25 years before anyone else but ended up broken and collecting subway tokens for a hobby. He was basically run out of academia on a rail because ...[text shortened]... ot just sliding through life content with just telling everyone about your Ferrari engine brain.
    "A person's humility is as much valued as any IQ number. Feynman is one example, showing up at undergrad parties banging on a bongo drum, being a real person as well as a scientific genius.

That is how you should judge intelligence.

In the end, affability and humility is a better judge of character."

Final word on the topic, sonhouse. You've raised the bar, at least for me. Thank you.
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 04:381 edit
    Feynman is one example, showing up at undergrad parties banging on a bongo drum
    YouTube
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 08:31
    The personalities of Einstein, Feynman and Dirac are compared at this site--

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt108858.html
  15. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 13:52
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm sorry but I have to ask this based on this post; do you think "education" has anything to do with IQ?
    I feel like after looking at the examples of Judit Polgar and Garry Kasparov, I feel like there must be a connection between mental exercise and IQ. Google Laszlo Polgar's education experiment he performed on his daughters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree