General Forum

General Forum

  1. SubscriberHomer1Simpson
    The REAL UK Homer
    UK
    Joined
    23 Jan '10
    Moves
    131200
    08 Sep '15 09:59
    Which is the more useful in life? Intelligence or common sense? I'd rather have common sense as I think it is far more practible in life generally. How about you?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    08 Sep '15 10:03
    Originally posted by Homer1Simpson
    Which is the more useful in life? Intelligence or common sense? I'd rather have common sense as I think it is far more practible in life generally. How about you?
    They are not mutually exclusive so your question is vague at best.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    08 Sep '15 13:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    They are not mutually exclusive so your question is vague at best.
    Vague but practible.
  4. New Braunfels, Texas
    Joined
    22 Aug '07
    Moves
    68994
    08 Sep '15 14:34
    Intelligence. With the intelligence you can learn enough tips about common sense to get by.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    08 Sep '15 15:24
    Originally posted by Homer1Simpson
    Which is the more useful in life? Intelligence or common sense? I'd rather have common sense as I think it is far more practible in life generally. How about you?
    Welcome to Red Hot Pawn's General Forum. In reply to your interesting question: my own view is that we all have two options: a) Live and Learn; or b) Learn and Live. "Intelligence or common sense" obviously both play a significant role in making sound decisions during our lifetimes.
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    09 Sep '15 00:581 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Intelligence or common sense" obviously both play a significant role in making sound decisions during our lifetimes.
    The OP implied 'which one would you choose?' for a bit of fun. To offer an answer with the words "obviously both" in it, when just about every human being on earth would agree, whilst safely bromide and unoriginal on your part, is not much fun.
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    09 Sep '15 01:04
    Originally posted by Homer1Simpson
    Which is the more useful in life? Intelligence or common sense? I'd rather have common sense as I think it is far more practible in life generally. How about you?
    I propose "intelligence" is more practicable in life generally because, as Einstein said, common sense is a deposit of prejudices laid down in the mind before you reach eighteen, and it takes intelligence to recognize, understand, evaluate and if necessary transcend these prejudices. I've found that what is defined as 'common sense' varies as you move from culture to culture, and even as you move from place to place ~ and between groups ~ within a society, It takes rather more than the common sense you were inculcated with when you were younger to navigate all this.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    09 Sep '15 01:08
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Intelligence. With the intelligence you can learn enough tips about common sense to get by.
    Thumbs Up.
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    09 Sep '15 01:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Thumbs Up.
    Which would you opt for, given the choice, intelligence or common sense?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    09 Sep '15 01:51
    Originally posted by Homer1Simpson
    Which is the more useful in life? Intelligence or common sense? I'd rather have common sense as I think it is far more practible in life generally. How about you?
    “Common sense is not so common.” ―Voltaire, A Pocket Philosophical Dictionary
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7196
    09 Sep '15 12:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    The OP implied 'which one would you choose?' for a bit of fun. To offer an answer with the words "obviously both" in it, when just about every human being on earth would agree, whilst safely bromide and unoriginal on your part, is not much fun.
    Then again, explaining that the original question doesn't make much sense because the choices tend to go together (and so are the opposite of mutually exclusive) is valid.
    You might as well ask which is more useful, a left trouser leg or a right one. Sure, you can have one or the other - but most people wear both.
  12. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    09 Sep '15 12:05
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Then again, explaining that the original question doesn't make much sense because the choices tend to go together (and so are the opposite of mutually exclusive) is valid.
    You might as well ask which is more useful, a left trouser leg or a right one. Sure, you can have one or the other - but most people wear both.
    I'd say the left one, if pressed on the matter.
  13. New Braunfels, Texas
    Joined
    22 Aug '07
    Moves
    68994
    09 Sep '15 12:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    ...I propose "intelligence" is more practicable in life...
    Excellent answer.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    09 Sep '15 13:26
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Then again, explaining that the original question doesn't make much sense because the choices tend to go together (and so are the opposite of mutually exclusive) is valid.
    You might as well ask which is more useful, a left trouser leg or a right one. Sure, you can have one or the other - but most people wear both.
    Well said.
  15. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Joined
    09 Jun '14
    Moves
    10079
    09 Sep '15 13:50
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Well said.
    rather have a pork pie
Back to Top