1. Standard memberHomer1Simpson
    The REAL UK Homer 😁
    Here, obviously!
    Moves
    08 Sep '15 09:59
    Which is the more useful in life? Intelligence or common sense? I'd rather have common sense as I think it is far more practible in life generally. How about you?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Sep '15 10:03
    Originally posted by Homer1Simpson
    Which is the more useful in life? Intelligence or common sense? I'd rather have common sense as I think it is far more practible in life generally. How about you?
    They are not mutually exclusive so your question is vague at best.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Sep '15 13:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    They are not mutually exclusive so your question is vague at best.
    Vague but practible.
  4. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    08 Sep '15 14:34
    Intelligence. With the intelligence you can learn enough tips about common sense to get by.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Sep '15 15:24
    Welcome to Red Hot Pawn's General Forum. In reply to your interesting question: my own view is that we all have two options: a) Live and Learn; or b) Learn and Live. "Intelligence or common sense" obviously both play a significant role in making sound decisions during our lifetimes.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 00:581 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Intelligence or common sense" obviously both play a significant role in making sound decisions during our lifetimes.
    The OP implied 'which one would you choose?' for a bit of fun. To offer an answer with the words "obviously both" in it, when just about every human being on earth would agree, whilst safely bromide and unoriginal on your part, is not much fun.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 01:04
    I propose "intelligence" is more practicable in life generally because, as Einstein said, common sense is a deposit of prejudices laid down in the mind before you reach eighteen, and it takes intelligence to recognize, understand, evaluate and if necessary transcend these prejudices. I've found that what is defined as 'common sense' varies as you move from culture to culture, and even as you move from place to place ~ and between groups ~ within a society, It takes rather more than the common sense you were inculcated with when you were younger to navigate all this.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 01:08
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Intelligence. With the intelligence you can learn enough tips about common sense to get by.
    Thumbs Up.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 01:26
    Thumbs Up.
    Which would you opt for, given the choice, intelligence or common sense?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 01:51
    “Common sense is not so common.” ―Voltaire, A Pocket Philosophical Dictionary
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 12:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    The OP implied 'which one would you choose?' for a bit of fun. To offer an answer with the words "obviously both" in it, when just about every human being on earth would agree, whilst safely bromide and unoriginal on your part, is not much fun.
    Then again, explaining that the original question doesn't make much sense because the choices tend to go together (and so are the opposite of mutually exclusive) is valid.
    You might as well ask which is more useful, a left trouser leg or a right one. Sure, you can have one or the other - but most people wear both.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 12:05
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Then again, explaining that the original question doesn't make much sense because the choices tend to go together (and so are the opposite of mutually exclusive) is valid.
    You might as well ask which is more useful, a left trouser leg or a right one. Sure, you can have one or the other - but most people wear both.
    I'd say the left one, if pressed on the matter.
  13. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 12:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    ...I propose "intelligence" is more practicable in life...
    Excellent answer.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 13:26
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Well said.
  15. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    09 Sep '15 13:50
    Well said.
    rather have a pork pie

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree