Who are the more polite sex?

Who are the more polite sex?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read a book!

Moves
09 Sep 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Question: Why are some men threatened by anything new while women tend to be receptive?
Answer: Probably for the same reason some women are threatened by anything new while men tend to be receptive.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
09 Sep 15

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Answer: Probably for the same reason some women are threatened by anything new while men tend to be receptive.
Point proven.

F

Moves
09 Sep 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Yes, there are 'fake' polite people, and there are 'truly' polite people, but all of them are concerned with 'being seen' as being polite.
Where I live, politeness is deeply ingrained and lubricates human interactions in a complex (and changing) social landscape. Its internalization and application goes way beyond 'appearance's sake' and finds itself deep seated within individuals and thus helping to make communities tick - the mutual respect is real - and it helps them to resolve conflicts of interest through courteous treatment of individuals and it allows them to seek consensus.

Many if not most of these people are certainly not concerned only with 'being seen' as being polite. Countless millions of polite people are involved in a form and function of politeness that is positive and productive and these millions I mention are just in this country where I live, let alone dozens of other societies and cultures that are knit together in similar ways.

This sweeping statement of yours on page 1, whilst perhaps appealing to those with a cynical view of politeness, just seems too shallow and parochial to me. If it's true in the social environment where you live your life, then that is a pity.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
10 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
...Where I live, politeness is deeply ingrained and lubricates human interactions in a complex..
FMF has written a most excellent post; please read it.

I grew up in the deep South, US and what FMF describes is a true day by day account of how people interact. This is what is in our hearts. We want to live in harmony and have discovered politeness aids that desire.

I found this definition:

Politeness is the practical application of good manners or etiquette.

What part of that do you argue with?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Sep 15

Originally posted by MontyMoose
FMF has written a most excellent post; please read it.

I grew up in the deep South, US and what FMF describes is a true day by day account of how people interact. This is what is in our hearts. We want to live in harmony and have discovered politeness aids that desire.

I found this definition:

Politeness is the practical application of good manners or etiquette.

What part of that do you argue with?
Seeking his lead will only cause you to miss my point as widely as he did.

F

Moves
10 Sep 15
1 edit

Seeking his lead will only cause you to miss my point as widely as he did.
Why not address my response to what several people, not only me, have seen as being a flawed sweeping generalization on your part?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Sep 15

Originally posted by FMF
Why not address my response to what several people, not only me, have seen as being a flawed sweeping generalization on your part?
As I said in another thread, keep digging. Deeper. No, deeper. We'll tell you when to stop.

* whistling softly to herself *

F

Moves
10 Sep 15
2 edits

As I said in another thread, keep digging. Deeper. No, deeper. We'll tell you when to stop.

* whistling softly to herself *
Nope. This doesn't address it.

Do you live in some ghastly human environment where all politeness is only for 'appearance's sake'?

Has that human environment contributed to you so often seeming to be averse to discussing stuff properly or unable/unwilling to up for what you have said? 🙂