Why do people protest?

Why do people protest?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
kiss me

i'm an ugly frog

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by uzless
It's a question of what good does it do. If it doesn't do any good, then why do it?

Remember that kids game/song that went, "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands" and then we'd clap twice...? As if to say, "hey look everyone, I'm happy..and to show everyone I am a happy, I am clapping my hands!"

Well, this seems just the same except the wo ...[text shortened]... ng something...when in reality they are just holding up signs and going for a walk.
sort of like your doing now by asking this question in an obscure chess site forum?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by ancientfrog
sort of like your doing now by asking this question in an obscure chess site forum?
sort of...well not really, no actually not at all.

Try again.

a
kiss me

i'm an ugly frog

Moves
13 Mar 08

You could always follow them around with your own signs that say "STOP MEANINGLESS PROTESTING THAT WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!!"

I gave you two exclamation points so you can show how frustrated you are at them. Do you like?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
Do you want them to burn down the embassy?

So, you apply different forms of pressure instead, basically telling China: "you don't want us to burn down your embassy, do you?"
That would be an empty threat. No one in Toronto is going to try to burn down the chinese embassy.

I don't think the Chinese government feels any pressure from Torontonians holding up signs with paint on them.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by ancientfrog
You could always follow them around with your own signs that say "STOP MEANINGLESS PROTESTING THAT WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!!"

Nah, I just put a bunch of plastic toy chinese tanks on the road in front of the parade and dared them to keep walking

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
13 Mar 08

So, what is the point of protesting in your own country about what is going on in another country?
That's easy. Putting pressure on your country to be more active with respect to that problem.

R
The Rams

Moves
16 Mar 08

Imagine someone named China starting to slap you across the face. You, Canada, start to protest.

Now imagine China starting to absolutely slaughter you. And you, Canada, remain silent!

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
16 Mar 08

Yesterday I saw a bunch of protesters with signs against the Church of Scientology. I was already a block past them when I figured out what the signs were about, because the protesters were all clustered together in a really odd spot. I don't understand protesting a cult or religion. Are they going to change their beliefs because you wrote on a sign CO$?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by Ramned
Imagine someone named China starting to slap you across the face. You, Canada, start to protest.

Now imagine China starting to absolutely slaughter you. And you, Canada, remain silent!
Ok, i've imagined it.

Now what does that have to do with anything? China is not slaughtering anyone in Canada. Canada (government) is not silent on Tibet.

I don't see how your story applies.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by pawnhandler
Yesterday I saw a bunch of protesters with signs against the Church of Scientology. I was already a block past them when I figured out what the signs were about, because the protesters were all clustered together in a really odd spot. I don't understand protesting a cult or religion. Are they going to change their beliefs because you wrote on a sign CO$?
It's called "Tokenism".

Soo popular these days. It's doing something that makes you feel like you are doing something when in fact you really aren't doing anything of any substance.

S
🙏🏻

Some other realm

Moves
18 Mar 08
1 edit

You are using the classic argument that for issue X, there are alot of people who don't know about issue X so they need to be informed.

I wish I could find the study online but researchers basically exposed this argument as flawed when they asked Christians why they believed in god. Over 70% said it was because they felt a strong personal connection to go .

So, the parade is to get more "membership" if you will. Self serving indeed!
I think you need to go to the library and educate yourself on the history of Tibet. You will find that March 10, the original post date by you, was the anniversary of Tibet's uprising in 1959 against the Chinese and the subsequent exile of the the Dalai Lama. This IS a significant day for many, many people! This is a tradition to "parade" as a means of raising awareness year after year that Buddhists have been robbed of their human rights and the Dalai Lama's struggle as leader of Tibet's government in exile to gain better conditions for the people of Tibet. And above all, compassion for all human beings, Buddhist and otherwise.

Unfortunately, these peaceful protests turn ugly and people get hurt because of intolerance and ignorance.

I honestly think if you did some serious reading on this subject, you would gain an understanding as to why there are protests and "parades" on behalf of the struggle of Tibetan people. Like any subject, learning about them gives you insight.