Why do people protest?

Why do people protest?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
11 Mar 08

Originally posted by yo its me
That's crazy! It must have. Perhaps so subtle is it's influnce that you haven't even realised it?
Edit..I see what you're saying. Not that it hasn't influenced you but that you don't 'feel' English (whatever that is) right? Well then you must be feeling pretty free of any cultral identity?
Yes, I mean obviously living here has influenced me in many ways, but not in terms of feeling like I'm a member of a national group.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
11 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by yo its me
That's crazy! It must have. Perhaps so subtle is it's influnce that you haven't even realised it?
Edit..I see what you're saying. Not that it hasn't influenced you but that you don't 'feel' English (whatever that is) right? Well then you must be feeling pretty free of any cultral identity?
He didn't say it hadn't influenced, just that the influence it did have was too small to be singled out as a dominant factor.

EDIT: Noticed your edit after this post. 🙂

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
11 Mar 08

Originally posted by Starrman
Yes, I mean obviously living here has influenced me in many ways, but not in terms of feeling like I'm a member of a national group.
Well maybe that is this nations identity? We are free from flag alegencies, the nation don't even know the words to 'old lang sign' every religion is welcome here and every view is listened to.
Perhaps we are the nation with no national identity?- the exception that proves the rule.

SS

Moves
11 Mar 08

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
11 Mar 08
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Haha!! My point exactually!

They all sing it in the pub at new years that's all I know- we don't have a song that English do we? i expect we do. God save the Queen?!!
I found it on UTube (now that I have the right spelling! Ha!)
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=eG3afAIi6IQ

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 08

Originally posted by Starrman
That's fine, but personally I don't really think my country's influenced who I am to the extent that I consider myself English. As I've said before I'm not even sure what English culture is.
Fair enough.

Moves
11 Mar 08

Moves
11 Mar 08

N

The sky

Moves
11 Mar 08

I am curious, why do you ask? Do you think it would have changed his perspective? I have been living in Norway for more than eight years now, and I am still as anti-patriotic as ever and still don't think that being German defines me.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Nordlys
I am curious, why do you ask? Do you think it would have changed his perspective? I have been living in Norway for more than eight years now, and I am still as anti-patriotic as ever and still don't think that being German defines me.
Why do people confuse patriotism with love for one's country? It's not the same.

I learned to really love my country after I left it. Maybe CFT had a similar experience.

Moves
11 Mar 08

Moves
11 Mar 08

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 08

The first step is to make people aware you're upset. If that sort of protesting doesn't work (in this case to get the Canadian government to be less friendly with China, maybe), you exert pressure. Civil disobedience. Blocking passageways; letters to representatives; there are a lot of things you can do.

But you should let the country know that you're upset first!

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
11 Mar 08

Leaving one's nest enlightens, and a lot.

And I'm not speaking about tourist stuff, but really abandoning your birth place (where you are safe and know the unwritten social rules), and facing a complete new environment where everything is alien.

It opens the skull, as old people say.

N

The sky

Moves
11 Mar 08

The language? The kind of songs, literature etc. they grew up with (but on the other hand, I don't know most of the music my German peers grew up with, so that doesn't really help)? I really don't know.

Here in Norway, I have been part of some conversations where people started to make references I didn't understand that most people that were part of the conversation did understand. It would be easy to say that this was because I am German. But then what about the younger colleague who didn't understand it because she was too young, or the colleague who had grown up in Oslo who didn't understand it because it was a Northern Norwegian thing? Also, would it make me patriotic if I'd feel that being German is a major part of being me?