Why do people protest?

Why do people protest?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
10 Mar 08

Originally posted by yo its me
Good for you Starman. So many people protested about that and I wish I had been able to. It was a peaceful protest and yet they didn't take any note of it. Who actually wanted that war to start? No-one I have ever talked to thought it was about protecting people but money and Blairs' brainwashing from Bush.

Rant over. That really made me so mad that the government competly ignored everyone.
You're talking about protesting your own governments actions. Which is fine. I'm all for that.

This issue is about protesting another governments actions but doing the protest in your own country where the country you're protesting against will never know nor care about the fact that on March 10, 2008 you held up a sign with paint on it.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
10 Mar 08

Originally posted by darvlay
I don't think that's true. To many people it is a question of what's right and what's wrong. That's their moral set.
I was talking about people protesting in this case just to make themselves feel better. Not about whether the protest was right or wrong.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
10 Mar 08

Originally posted by uzless
You're talking about protesting your own governments actions. Which is fine. I'm all for that.

This issue is about protesting another governments actions but doing the protest in your own country where the country you're protesting against will never know nor care about the fact that on March 10, 2008 you held up a sign with paint on it.
Quiet possiable that nothing will come of it but nothing changed about this protest. Whatelse could the nation do? So frustrating.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
10 Mar 08
2 edits

Originally posted by yo its me
Quiet possiable that nothing will come of it but nothing changed about this protest. Whatelse could the nation do? So frustrating.
I think we, as western society, need to wake up to the version of Democracy that we currently live in.

"Democracy today means the freedom to discuss an issue without the power to influence the outcome."

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
10 Mar 08

I think we, as western society, need to wake up to the version of Democracy that we currently live in.

"Democracy today means the freedom to discuss an issue without the power to influence the outcome."
..unless you have money- but then you'll only be interested in money and so the wheel keeps turning...

W

DISCO!

Moves
10 Mar 08

How did slavery end?

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
10 Mar 08

Has anyone ever protested something that wasn't just signing a petition etc?

What was your reasoning for doing it?
I did a bit of road protesting when i was younger, with a D lock around my neck.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
10 Mar 08

In Toronto today, there is a protest parade winding its way through downtown. They are protesting the way China deals with Tibet. Many "Free Tibet" and "release prisoners" placards are being carried by people. Explain this to me:

What good does protesting in Canada do to make China change their mind about Tibet? No one in China is going to say to thems ...[text shortened]... nk will happen now that they walked through downtown holding signs.

Please explain.
Do you want them to burn down the embassy?

So, you apply different forms of pressure instead, basically telling China: "you don't want us to burn down your embassy, do you?"

S
🙏🏻

Some other realm

Moves
10 Mar 08

In Toronto today, there is a protest parade winding its way through downtown. They are protesting the way China deals with Tibet. Many "Free Tibet" and "release prisoners" placards are being carried by people. Explain this to me:

What good does protesting in Canada do to make China change their mind about Tibet? No one in China is going to say to thems ...[text shortened]... nk will happen now that they walked through downtown holding signs.

Please explain.
I think that the Dalai Lama, considering he is a refugee of Tibet, and works tirelessly to preserve Tibetan Culture, appreciates the compassion he sees demonstrated in Canada and all over the world. The root of buddhism and the Dalai Lama's work as a human being is compassion. Having this perpetuated is EXACTLY the heart of the matter. So the placards may seem silly, but the expression is important, I think.

S

Moves
11 Mar 08

Okay, your flag is from micronesia and i'll admit I have no idea if you are really from there or if micronesia was a part of that war.
Rather aptly, I fly the micronesian flag because I am protesting against patriotism. It suits me to fly the flag of a country I have never been to and know very little about because I think the notion of national identity is awful.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
Rather aptly, I fly the micronesian flag because I am protesting against patriotism. It suits me to fly the flag of a country I have never been to and know very little about because I think the notion of national identity is awful.
I agree that the concept of national identity is awful because it implicitly assumes a degree of homogeneity that doesn't exist.

That said, I don't think that the concept of national identification through the flag assumes the same thing. Being born and bred in Portugal, I feel that my country's culture is also a part (and just a part) of what I am. In that sense, I am Portuguese and I think that there's more to it than just my passport. But I agree that I'm not reduced to my nationality.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
11 Mar 08

And to oppose war in general.
Cue the RHP Right-Wing Idiot Squad:

[Idiot]
What will you do when the Immigrants take over Europe? Will the USA have to save your asses AGAIN?

USA #1!
[/Idiot]

SS

Moves
11 Mar 08

S

Moves
11 Mar 08

Originally posted by Palynka
I agree that the concept of national [b]identity is awful because it implicitly assumes a degree of homogeneity that doesn't exist.

That said, I don't think that the concept of national identification through the flag assumes the same thing. Being born and bred in Portugal, I feel that my country's culture is also a part (and just a part) of what I am ...[text shortened]... ere's more to it than just my passport. But I agree that I'm not reduced to my nationality.[/b]
That's fine, but personally I don't really think my country's influenced who I am to the extent that I consider myself English. As I've said before I'm not even sure what English culture is.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
11 Mar 08
1 edit

That's fine, but personally I don't really think my country's influenced who I am to the extent that I consider myself English. As I've said before I'm not even sure what English culture is.
That's crazy! It must have. Perhaps so subtle is it's influnce that you haven't even realised it?
Edit..I see what you're saying. Not that it hasn't influenced you but that you don't 'feel' English (whatever that is) right? Well then you must be feeling pretty free of any cultral identity?