1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 15:43
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    When I was an undergrad I remember taking the MBTI.
    I was an ENFJ...I remember feeling content with the assessment. Not thrilled...but content.

Is this WoP test based in science and peer-reviewed research?
    About as much as the Mostly Bull$&₩÷ Triteness Inventor, and therefore a little less than Dungeons & Dragons' alignment system.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 15:47
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Validity of the MBTI has been seriously challenged.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die
    Sounds like the Freud whiners getting their bloomers in a twist again if you ask me.

I'm on the Carl Jung side of the fence so I'm of the opinion that it's a valuable tool.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 15:54
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Sounds like the Freud whiners getting their bloomers in a twist again if you ask me.

I'm on the Carl Jung side of the fence so I'm of the opinion that it's a valuable tool.
    No matter which side of the fence you're on, to me it's all about smoke and mirrors.🙄
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 16:04
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    No matter which side of the fence you're on, to me it's all about smoke and mirrors.🙄
    I like that!

Freud was a pathfinder... and he "smoked" cigars and Jung furthered the science even investigating the symbolism associated with "mirrors".

Definitely relevant GBS. 😛🙂
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 04:161 edit
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Eh, you're always gonna get those people who think psychology isn't a "real" science, or that it's all nothing but "mumbo-jumbo".

Many years ago I made decent extra money drawing up horoscope charts for people. Now THAT'S some real "mumbo-jumbo".
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 04:25
    I like that!

Freud was a pathfinder... and he "smoked" cigars and Jung furthered the science even investigating the symbolism associated with "mirrors".

Definitely relevant GBS. 😛🙂
    It's easy to be a pathfinder when you don't know where you're going and neither does anybody else. The best thing he pioneered was the analysis. He thought most mental processes were best viewed through a sexual lens, though, and the sad thing is he never really figured out how wrong he was.
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 13:29
    It's easy to be a pathfinder when you don't know where you're going and neither does anybody else. The best thing he pioneered was the analysis. He thought most mental processes were best viewed through a sexual lens, though, and the sad thing is he never really figured out how wrong he was.
    I don't know that he was completely wrong. Certainly suppressed memories of childhood sexual abuses do sometimes manifest markedly in adults.

I prefer to think that Freud identified a sliver within the broad spectrum of abnormal psychology.

"First steps upon the moon" so to speak.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 17:49
    Eh, you're always gonna get those people who think psychology isn't a "real" science, or that it's all nothing but "mumbo-jumbo".

Many years ago I made decent extra money drawing up horoscope charts for people. Now THAT'S some real "mumbo-jumbo".
    Oh I didn't mean to say that it wasn't science because the mind is, after all, associated with a very real part of man's biology (the brain).
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 19:53
    I don't know that he was completely wrong. Certainly suppressed memories of childhood sexual abuses do sometimes manifest markedly in adults.

I prefer to think that Freud identified a sliver within the broad spectrum of abnormal psychology.

"First steps upon the moon" so to speak.
    Abuse is another thing entirely. Any abuse leaves scars on us that can run deep.

This isn't the same thing as saying that women are naturally neurotic because they really just wish they were born with a penis.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 19:59
    Abuse is another thing entirely. Any abuse leaves scars on us that can run deep.

This isn't the same thing as saying that women are naturally neurotic because they really just wish they were born with a penis.
    Realising he had entered the wrong thread, Ghost quietly departs.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 14:261 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Realising he had entered the wrong thread, Ghost quietly departs.
    goad,

Realising you had entered the wrong thread and leaving quietly would have meant not saying ANYTHING!! 😛 Then no one would have even knew you were here! 😉

-VR
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 13:54
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    I have read the book (as noted in the current reading thread) and now did the test on the authors website.
    http://www.wisdomofpsychopaths.com/personality-test.php

These are my results:

Neuroticism: Low
    Extraversion: High
    Openness to Experience: Very High
    Agreeableness: Low
    Conscientiousness: Low
    Persuasiveness: Very High

It seems I score quite a bit extreme...

Edits: I do have a problem with formatting issues 😉
    for the record in a bigger big five test I scored:

Neuroticism: Low
    Extraversion: average
    Openness to Experience: High
    Agreeableness: average
    Conscientiousness: Low

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree