1. rebel city
    Moves
    21 May '14 10:20
    Don't ask me what I think about it, all I can say is that I wish the world cup was not taking place in Brazil.

For info to those who may not know, in Brazil we have 3 religions: Soccer, Samba and Cachaça (Br rhum from sugar cane juice, main ingredient of the caipirinha), but I can't help feeling a bit worried about this one and only hope that everybody will have an nice and enjoyable time, with Brazil winning at the end and be Champion for the 6th time. 😉

If anyone interested, please check the link below:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/brazil
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 May '14 10:232 edits
    Why not in Brazil?

And Brazil won't win, see [threadid]24331 [threadid] "Predictions for 2104".
  3. Joined
    21 Mar '14
    Moves
    21 May '14 10:30
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    Don't ask me what I think about it, all I can say is that I wish the world cup was not taking place in Brazil.

For info to those who may not know, in Brazil we have 3 religions: Soccer, Samba and Cachaça (Br rhum from sugar cane juice, main ingredient of the caipirinha), but I can't help feeling a bit worried about this one and only hope that eve ...[text shortened]...

The home pressure will ensure that the Brazillian team will give its best shot on the cup and Brazil at its best is unstoppable.

Look at the way India did in 2011 Cricket world cup, the home fans ensuring its win.

So be happy for hosting the world cup and the opportunity to welcome a few million guests.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 May '14 10:36
    Originally posted by bindaschess
    The home pressure will ensure that the Brazillian team will give its best shot on the cup and Brazil at its best is unstoppable.

Look at the way India did in 2011 Cricket world cup, the home fans ensuring its win.

So be happy for hosting the world cup and the opportunity to welcome a few million guests.
    There is a saying in Germany: "There are about 80 million people who know better than the team manager"
    I presume the same is true for Brazil. The home pressure could be disastrous if they have a bad start...
  5. rebel city
    Moves
    21 May '14 13:002 edits

With regards to my comments above, I am not referring to the Seleção, on the contrary, from the little I know, I believe it is a much better one than we've had in recent past, and I will be eating my nails just like all other 198M back home.

However, the world cup event is more than just soccer and sport, it is BIG MONEY. I will make myself brief by quoting a passage of an article in the Economist dated May 2014, which I find, reflects what this 2014 WC represents to the Brazilian people.

So the total effect on South Africa's economy should be roughly the same, with about 93 billion rand ($12.4 billion) injected, most of that having been generated before this year. Tourism should account for 16% of the final total. Much of the rest will come from the central government's spending on infrastructure.

Very nice for South Africa, perhaps. But South Africans themselves are grumbling about the eye-wateringly large amounts of money that FIFA, the world football body that is the monopoly organiser, is poised to make, even though South Africa is bearing most of the cost. FIFA is responsible only for the prize money paid to the teams along with the cost of their travel and preparation, which amounted to just $279m in Germany, where the tournament last took place, in 2006. This week FIFA said it would contribute an extra $100m to the South Africans to ensure that all the facilities are ready in time.

Yet the event's main direct benefits, from television and marketing rights, all go to FIFA. According to Citi, the research arm of Citibank, FIFA's profit in Germany came to $1.8 billion, equivalent to 0.7% of South Africa's GDP. FIFA will recycle much of that money into football development worldwide. Nonetheless, even a bit of it would help clear up some of the country's festering shanty towns.
    Unquote

P.s. I would like to add that if 1/3 of the funds invested by the Brazilian govt in infra-structure had been directed to health, education, housing, to mention the basics, us Brazilians today would be number 1 jubilating about the world cup. 🙂
  6. rebel city
    Moves
    21 May '14 13:071 edit

For info to those who may not know, in Brazil we have 3 religions: Soccer, Samba and Cachaça (Br rhum from sugar cane juice, main ingredient of the caipirinha), but I can't help feeling a bit worried about this one and only hope that eve ...[text shortened]...

I will check the predictions but must say I will be happy if Germany wins, not only because Germany is part of my culture and background but also, because it is not Argentina. 😉

My father' big idol was Beckenbauer, whom he used to compare to Pelé and Garrincha. 🙂
  7. Joined
    21 Mar '14
    Moves
    21 May '14 13:31
    This report of E&Y on the world cup will be interesting to read.
    http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/Sustainable_Brazil_-_World_Cup/$FILE/copa_2014.pdf
  8. rebel city
    Moves
    21 May '14 14:321 edit
    This report of E&Y on the world cup will be interesting to read.
    http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/Sustainable_Brazil_-_World_Cup/$FILE/copa_2014.pdf
    Nice, optimistic estimate from E&Y, pity that it is completely outdated (2010). Not only plans changed since then and costs increased considerably, but bad planning, corruption, etc. combined with increased social unrest, does not seem to help towards the ambitioned economic boom.

Please don't take me wrongly, nothing I want more than my country to provide a remarkable spectacle, and specially some benefit to the large majority of the population who once again has been neglected for the sake of other political and economic interests.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 May '14 18:44

Every government says that hosting these events, such as this and the Olympics, are a great investment for the country. I think it's complete BS; if they are so certain it's a good investment, then it shouldn't be too hard to demonstrate how via the maths. Never seen it. Backhanders, rich developers and political donations.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 May '14 19:07
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Every government says that hosting these events, such as this and the Olympics, are a great investment for the country. I think it's complete BS; if they are so certain it's a good investment, then it shouldn't be too hard to demonstrate how via the maths. Never seen it. Backhanders, rich developers and political donations.
    Did you see how much they 'estimate' the giro starting in Belfast was going to bring into the economy over the next 10 years?

Think the thing cost 4 million to come here which isn't a huge amount but considering the population here it's not cheap.

I was at both the starting and finishing points... nothing going on to make any money. Nothing. If they can't cash in during the days it's here what do they plan to do when it's left?

Don't get ,e wrong it was great to see but why sugarcoat it into trying to make people think it's going to make money?

Same with all sporting events.
  11. rebel city
    Moves
    23 May '14 21:40
    My original intention with this thread was to use the world cup, through the Guardian excellent link, to attract the attention to the geographical and cultural location, Brazil, with all its beauty and complexities. I didn't succeed due to my own inner social / political frustrations.

For info, the Brazilian flag will fly out of my window during the cup, and time allowing, I will be watching the games in the pub right next door to my house. 🙂
  12. In your face
    Moves
    23 May '14 21:50
    I just hope all the stadiums don't collapse. I don't care who wins it, as long as no one dies. 😕
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 May '14 22:05
    Ireland will win it 😀
  14. In your face
    Moves
    23 May '14 22:29
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Ireland will win it 😀
    More chance than Ingerlund doing it 😞
  15. rebel city
    Moves
    24 May '14 00:211 edit
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    I just hope all the stadiums don't collapse. I don't care who wins it, as long as no one dies. 😕
    I fully agree and hope the same 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree