1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 17:17
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    I drive a Citroen Berlingo (2003)
    I saw in the reviews it gets over 50 MPG, is that true for yours? I have a commuter car, a hyundai Accent and it gets barely 34, 50 would be great!
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 17:231 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I saw in the reviews it gets over 50 MPG, is that true for yours? I have a commuter car, a hyundai Accent and it gets barely 34, 50 would be great!
    Miles per Gallon is not really a measure I take... I need about 5.5 litres per 100 km (Diesel) if that is of help 😉

PS I found a calculator for that: It's 47 MPG roughly.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 17:40
    I have a htc, which was downhanded trice until it arrived at me a year ago, am I still qualified to take part in the discussion?

Oh I think I would not give 100 € for a phone.
    My newest (2nd only and purchased in December) cell phone is an LG flip phone that the salesperson "had to go back to see if we have them anymore". He appeared with it (the last one) and blew the dust off the box. It functions very well as a telephone and is...well adequate is probably a stretch...an OK camera, though I really don't use it as a camera. If I'd wanted a camera I'd have bought a camera. My camera does not function as a phone. 🙁 I guess in the world of "hi tech" I am an amoeba eh? 😉
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 20:50
    I drive a Citroen Berlingo (2003)
    Yeah...
  5. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 21:55
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    No I can't say that; but unfortunately I'm an Apple junkie. The missus and I have all apple devices all linked via th cloud etc
    stay away from Apple, your wallet will appreciate it
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 22:00
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    My newest (2nd only and purchased in December) cell phone is an LG flip phone that the salesperson "had to go back to see if we have them anymore". He appeared with it (the last one) and blew the dust off the box. It functions very well as a telephone and is...well adequate is probably a stretch...an OK camera, though I really don't use it as a came ...[text shortened]... camera does not function as a phone. 🙁 I guess in the world of "hi tech" I am an amoeba eh? 😉
    Old things, old models function just as well as new ones - they don't give you new experiences, that's all. 🙂
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 23:111 edit
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Old things, old models function just as well as new ones - they don't give you new experiences, that's all. 🙂
    It seems the function of the device as a telephone is just an option anymore. Small tablets with a phone function added as a convenience.
    I love the apps on my galaxy. One, as a ham looking for 2 meter repeaters (thousands of them across the US but what frequency, codes and such and where?) there is an app that hooks to GPS and looks up a data base of repeaters and says how many miles away, the frequency, splits, codes, the works.
    Also an app for what WIFI is active near the phone. Another that is a magnetic field strength detector, and a compass. As well as 'Ok google' and all that plus camera and video, etc.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 00:041 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    It seems the function of the device as a telephone is just an option anymore. Small tablets with a phone function added as a convenience.
    I love the apps on my galaxy. One, as a ham looking for 2 meter repeaters (thousands of them across the US but what frequency, codes and such and where?) there is an app that hooks to GPS and looks up a data base of rep ...[text shortened]... trength detector, and a compass. As well as 'Ok google' and all that plus camera and video, etc.
    Do you know if there's an app that can do spectrum analysis? We're trying to locate a rogue land-based transmitter which is interfering with marine radio frequencies.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 00:10
    We're not known as "rip off Britain" for nothing.

Generally electronics has been £s for $s here for years. It "sucks", to use a common Americanism.
    If you don't like UK numbers, how about ours?
    $1,829 AUD. At current exchange rates, that's USD1460, or GBP 1105. or EUR 1228.

Apple isn't a camera anymore, it's a fashion accessory, like a Tag Heuer or Jimmy Choos. Conspicuous consumerism for the wannabe rich.
  10. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 10:26
    Originally posted by @wycombe-al
    And so will the zChinese slave laborers
  11. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 15:161 edit
    I've finally turned into my Dad.
    ie "What??? A thousand quid for a telephone???"
    Back in the 80's he took one look at my spanking CD and cassette-based stacking stereo system and said "What??? Three hundred quid for a wireless???"
    Ah, how we evolve.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 22:04
    I have a htc, which was downhanded trice until it arrived at me a year ago, am I still qualified to take part in the discussion?

Oh I think I would not give 100 € for a phone.
    I just bought a phone for 15 bucks.
    Will not buy into touchscreen. I hate that crap.
    Why people need to walk around with virtual mini pc's in their pockets is beyond me.
    I guess some of you 'need' it for something ...
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 22:311 edit
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    Do you know if there's an app that can do spectrum analysis? We're trying to locate a rogue land-based transmitter which is interfering with marine radio frequencies.
    Ah, you need to go on an old fashioned transmitter hunt, what freq? Around 2 meters? If so you make a little yagi like maybe 3 or 4 element, simple job, and hook it to a receiver, and go around in your car, triangulate the position on a map then turn the buggers in to whatever you call your FCC. Or cops whatever. You could make it a fun day, picnic at the end, bring some beer and such🙂
    I made one once out of coat hanger wires and a broomstick. It worked pretty good considering.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '17 03:12
    Originally posted by @wycombe-al
    I've had iPhones for several years now and find them to be excellent equipment. My extended family all save money and use the Samsung brand. I've looked carefully at these models and have decided that for me the saving isn't worth the loss in various functions and connectivity with our other apple devices.
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 07:03
    I've had iPhones for several years now and find them to be excellent equipment. My extended family all save money and use the Samsung brand. I've looked carefully at these models and have decided that for me the saving isn't worth the loss in various functions and connectivity with our other apple devices.
    My wife's phone is still a Pay-as-you-go Motorola Razr.

She showed me a tiny picture on her screen the other day, and had much amusement when I tried to press the screen to enlarge it.

It's a scary thought that I bought this for her just before my son (11) was born, and the smartphone did not exist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree