1. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '04 23:313 edits
    But Chess is just a game, anyone can play and do for fun, that's what this site is all about. It's not a "product"?!

RHP is the product, if anything, and that's why I think that everyone who enjoys the benefit of playing at this great site should happily subscribe and pay the token amount so that Russ and Chris can keep this site going for all of us.

Anyway, that's my two penneth, I'm not going to repeat myself ad infinitum. 😏
  2. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 00:441 edit
    exy you are being silly:
    do you think michael schumacher pays his entrance fee to see a grandprix race?
    did the gladiators pay to play in the coliseum?
    should elephants pay rent in the zoo?

grandmasters should never have to pay for rhp membership.
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 01:52
    For that matter, I'd give free memberships to anyone who has won a major tournament or regional championship if they'd allow their name and title to be shown on the site. It could only attract more paying members. Free membership to Kruphnedahpheweundikaniswalyniaphorganopop, the 2004 Elbonia Chess Champion! 😀
  4. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 03:00
    Originally posted by Exy
    Sorry - I really don't understand this - so I make movies for a living - so what I can just go to Amazon.com and order what I want up for free? What are you talking about?!

Also, Edmond "Ironman" Dantes is an IM and I don't believe he's playing here gratis. So what is all this about?
    Yes,if amazon thinks they will gain customers if they can use your name,they will pay you for that.It's called advertising.If you take free products as payment,all the better for them.
    About Dantes,well,he didn't use his title,now did he.maybe he never asked,maybe Russ and chrismo don't want to give free acounts,I don't know.Dantes doesn't HAVE to use his title.And Russ doesn't HAVE to give free accounts to masters.It's their choice.
    But I don't understand that you don't see the benefit of it.You must not be willing to see it.

Sir Lot.
  5. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 06:151 edit
    Originally posted by SirLoseALot
    Yes,if amazon thinks they will gain customers if they can use your name,they will pay you for that.It's called advertising.If you take free products as payment,all the better for them.
    About Dantes,well,he didn't use his title,now di ...[text shortened]... e the benefit of it.You must not be willing to see it.

Sir Lot.
    I do see your point.

I just think that the benefits of everybody paying their subscription for the upkeep and ongoing improvement of this site, regardless of their ability, far outweighs the benefit of having Grand Masters here for free.

Do you honestly think that people play at RHP to be beaten by Grand Masters? I think it's more likely that they come here to play for fun against players of a similar standard.

And that really is my final post on the matter.
  6. Joined
    22 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 06:231 edit
    Originally posted by Exy
    I do see your point.

I just think that the benefits of [b]everybody
    paying their subscription for the upkeep and ongoing improvement of this site, regardless of their ability, far outweighs the benefit of having Grand Masters he ...[text shortened]... lar standard.

And that really is my final post on the matter. [/b]
    Well I am about to get beat by the said Master. I too play for fun and am enjoying this game immensely.

I am happy to get beat by players of any standard 😀😀

Masters should get free subscriptions if RHP can use their names for endorsements. That makes good commercial sense.
  7. Joined
    23 Feb '03
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 08:211 edit
    Well you`re lucky. I don`t think he`s here to have fun as someone playing only 2 games has just deleted a challenge. Obviously a lowly 1193 rating is below him. If he wants a freebie he should feel oblidged to help and give a few pointers to lower ranked players.
    I say PAY UP 😠 or **** off.
  8. Joined
    22 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 08:27
    Originally posted by Paulie
    Well you`re lucky. I don`t think he`s here to have fun as someone playing only 2 games has just deleted a challenge. Obviously a lowly 1193 rating is below him. I say PAY UP 😠 or **** off.
    I say PAY UP 😠 or **** off

Good Quote there Paulie
    ROTFLMAO

You have a very good point though
  9. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 10:19
    Originally posted by Paulie
    [b]Obviously a lowly 1193 rating is below him. /b]
    hey paulie - chill out fella.

he can help out - i am sure bbarr and ironman want someone to beat them.

you and i don't need mr chile master man - we can be reliably beaten and taught good lessons by mere 2000 players.
    the effect of the masters trickles down the tree.
  10. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 11:021 edit
    Woah! Chill please people! The guy asked a simple question and you've jumped on him like a ton of bricks. How about being civil?! Maybe if someone explained that no freebie system exists but that if he likes the site maybe he'd like to subscribe then he'd agree and become a valuable member of RHP

As for whether masters etc should get free memnbership, I think that is for C&R to decide. Yes it could be good advertising for the site (I remember some kid compaining that "theres no masters at this site, it's crap, I'm leaving" ), but at the same time C&R built this site as a labour of love so decisions that might change the spirit of the site are down to them. As always I'm sure they'd appreciate your input but keep it calm please.

Jorquerino,

No hablo ningunos español entonces tendré que usar a un traductor también. Bienvenidos a RHP, esto es un sitio muy bueno para jugar en. No pienso que han dado a los socios gratis a maestros antes, pero el sentido gratis de preguntar a los jefes de sitio. De otra manera por favor siéntase gratis de quedarse y jugar unos juegos y si le gusta el sitio piensan suscribirse si usted puede permitírselo.

Jon
  11. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 12:11
    Reading all posts I can not decide which point of view I can concur with. As every member has to pay this little amount to keep the best chess site on the net running I would say .. master or not pay the bill ...

But .. as I too would like to see RHP gaining more paying members it would be a good idea to "convince" Masters to join the site WITH their full name "exposed" ...

You know what ... maybe I can sponsor a Master to join, but has to join my clan of course 😉
  12. Joined
    06 Jun '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 16:13

Reading all posts I can not decide which point of view I can concur with. As every member has to pay this little amount to keep the best chess site on the net running I would say .. master or not pay the bill ...

But .. as I too would like to see RHP gaining more paying members it would be a good idea to "convince" Masters to join the site WITH their full name "exposed" ...

Originally posted by NicolaiS
    You know what ... maybe I can sponsor a Master to join, but has to join my clan of course 😉

Hello again:
    I did not accept the challenge of Paulie by the time by only moved. The week much I will not be able to enter and a time of 3 days by moved is "rapid" for my.
    That it is a clan? Good, if the offer goes in serious I I can play by its clan since until the moment the administrators have not pronounced themselves 🙂
    If paulie wishes to play I will accept its challenge to more time by moved.
    Greetings
  13. Joined
    23 Feb '03
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 16:32
    Ok i`ll try again.
  14. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 18:10
    Originally posted by Exy
    I do see your point.

I just think that the benefits of [b]everybody
    paying their subscription for the upkeep and ongoing improvement of this site, regardless of their ability, far outweighs the benefit of having Grand Masters here for free.

Do you honestly think that people play at RHP to be beaten by Grand Masters? I think it's more likel ...[text shortened]... [/b] against players of a similar standard.

And that really is my final post on the matter. [/b]
    I don't think that everybody paying would be better than handing masters free accounts.The mass of players they can attract will by far outweigh their own subscriptions.
    Not that I understand the why and how,I play here 'cause I like the site,and I couldn't care less if there are any masters.
    But most people do.It seems to be the common view that a site without masters is a crappy site (see belgianfreak's example).
    Just try to imagine how many people would want to be part of this site if they knew Kasparov or Kramnik or Morozevich,etc... play here.The site probably couldn't even handle the amount of people joining all of a sudden.It is as strange to me as,I assume,it is to you,but that's the way it is.

Sir Lot.
  15. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    07 Jun '04 18:371 edit
    A title with some other chess organization is impressive, however....

If it were up to me I would give a free account only to those who have worked their way up to the top of the player tables here at RHP. Members who have put in the time and effort to get to the top deserve some type of benifit. They didn't just come in, sign up and expect a free ride. They worked right here at RHP to get to that position and that would be a small reward for their efforts.

Maybe for those who make it to the top five positions, give a free two month extension on their subscription renewal date for every month or part of a month that they are listed in the top five.

Something similar could also be offered as a prize for the winners of tournaments.

Titled players from other organizations should be able to work their way up to the top and win some tournaments here without too much difficulty, don't you think?

just my thoughts.....
    Marc

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree