Banned???

Standard memberOleander29
Help 23 Mar '12 03:32
  1. Joined
    11 Nov '11
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 03:32
    My friend (beatlemania) was apparently banned from the website for no reason? Or was there a reason...? He shouldn't have been that I know of... Can you please let me know what's going on, or reinstate him?
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 07:52
    I don't understand it either. Have you tried sending feedback? Normally they won't tell you, but if he's a friend and you can contact him by other means then he may be able to communicate through you.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '11
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 10:24
    Yep, I sent feedback, PM'd Russ, and posted here. Everything I can think to do. Russ responded and said they're looking into it, and that it might well be an accident.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 11:36
    This is almost certainly an accidental action, we are trying to establish how this happened - most likely during a flush out of spammers that we got wrong.

We know of one other account that has the same problem.

If anyone knows of an opponent mysteriously banned in the last 48 hours, please let us know so we can rectify it and contact the player. Thanks.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 12:021 edit
    Ok, we know what happened here.

We banned the sender of spam messages asking for contact at an email address.

What went wrong is that some people replied to these messages, which made THEM appear like the spammer when we did our queries.

We will try to reverse this ASAP.
  6. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 13:26
    Ah man, I got a skull sitting there against beatle (because of the ban thing). I guess I'll wait for the smoke to clear. 😛
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '11
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 15:53
    Glad you figured it out! I see beatlemania is now listed as being on vacation, and heKs now longer showing 'banned'. However, he says he's still not able to get in.

Thanks for mentioning th skull, Monty, you're probably not the only one. Is it possible, Russ, that if he timed out on any other games, that those could also possibly be reinstated? I mean, it wasn't his fault...

Any chance this spammer is the same one who was plaguing utherpendragon?
  8. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 16:10
    The poor chap, he'll have loads of skulls to fend off the very moment he can get into his account...one trusts that's why his flag has been thrown up for him...with 300+ games ongoing, he should be given a weeks 'free' flag time just to cope with it all !!
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 16:15
    Originally posted by Oleander29
    Glad you figured it out! I see beatlemania is now listed as being on vacation, and heKs now longer showing 'banned'. However, he says he's still not able to get in.

Thanks for mentioning th skull, Monty, you're probably not the only one. Is it possible, Russ, that if he timed out on any other games, that those could also possibly be reinstated? I mean, ...[text shortened]... 't his fault...

Any chance this spammer is the same one who was plaguing utherpendragon?
    If you are in communication with him, please tell him to delete his site cookies. This is very important.

A quick fix would be to use an alternate browser temporarily until the above is done.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 16:16
    I can see he is now moving.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '11
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 17:04
    Yeah, he was able to log in at chessatwork, and I told him to come and read the forums.
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 22:40
    That'll teach him to respond to strange females propositioning him on the internet .... 😀
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '11
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 03:18
    Yeah, I know - I asked him WTF... 😛 As far as I know everything is back to normal but I haven't spoken to him since this afternoon.
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '12 14:38
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    That'll teach him to respond to strange females propositioning him on the internet .... 😀
    Bravo!

This is a lesson that needs to be learned by many more people. On the 'net, there is no such thing as "sceptical enough".

Richard
  15. Subscriberbeatlemania
    Purveyor of Potatoes
    Here
    Moves
    26 Mar '12 16:281 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Bravo!

This is a lesson that needs to be learned by many more people. On the 'net, there is no such thing as "sceptical enough".

Richard
    Indeed. >.>...<.< But thankfully, all is now well. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree