Castling Bug?

Castling Bug?

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tacoma, WA

Moves
24 Jan 07

Game 3034784

Help! Did RHP just allow an illegal castling move or am I overlooking a rule making this castle legal?

c
¯\_(^.^)_/¯

Moves
24 Jan 07

Originally posted by kingarthur
Game 3034784

Help! Did RHP just allow an illegal castling move or am I overlooking a rule making this castle legal?
There seems to be nothing wrong with that castle.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
24 Jan 07
1 edit

Game 3034784

It looks like a illegal castle to me. It clearly is crossing over a check of your bishop on e-4. I would stop the game and send in feedback with the game id and explain the problem. Or wait until someone else responds to this post that knows more about RHP and what to do in a case like this. It's a first one on me 😲

DS

Moves
24 Jan 07

Originally posted by KingDavid403
It looks like a illegal castle to me. It clearly is crossing over a check. I would stop the game and send in feedback with the game id and explain the problem. Or wait until someone else responds to this post that knows more about RHP and what to do in a case like this. It's a first one on me 😲
As long as the KING doesn't pass through an attacked square it's ok. The rook can.

c
¯\_(^.^)_/¯

Moves
24 Jan 07

Originally posted by KingDavid403
It looks like a illegal castle to me. It clearly is crossing over a check. I would stop the game and send in feedback with the game id and explain the problem. Or wait until someone else responds to this post that knows more about RHP and what to do in a case like this. It's a first one on me 😲
The King did not cross check, only the rook passed through an attacked square which is a legal move I believe.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
24 Jan 07
4 edits

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
As long as the KING doesn't pass through an attacked square it's ok. The rook can.
Really, I didn't know that. Learn something knew everyday 🙄 Interesting. 😉 And here I thought I knew how to play chess 😳 I at least thought I knew how the pieces could move anyway. 😳 Maybe it's time I do read a chess book. 😲

Moves
24 Jan 07

Game 3034784

White's castling was perfectly fine and legal. Black's bishop didn't control any of the squares that the King passed through, so there isn't a problem.

Tacoma, WA

Moves
24 Jan 07

Originally posted by David Tebb
White's castling was perfectly fine and legal. Black's bishop didn't control any of the squares that the King passed through, so there isn't a problem.
I'm not sure what is meant by control of the square. Can you please explain further. I thought my white bishop on e4 should have prevented a queenside castle by exercising control over the b1 square?

Tacoma, WA

Moves
24 Jan 07

Ah...I understand the rule now. That was a first for me. I thought I knew all the rules of chess.

L

Moves
25 Jan 07

Ah...I understand the rule now. That was a first for me. I thought I knew all the rules of chess.
Don't feel bad....from Wikipedia:

"Viktor Korchnoi, in his 1974 Candidates final match with Anatoly Karpov, famously asked the arbiter if castling was legal when the castling rook was under attack. The answer was in the affirmative, and Korchnoi ended up winning the game. It is actually a beginner's question, since the legality of a move is basic and essential knowledge."

I believe stress was what caused Korchnoi to ask such an elementary question, since he had to be aware of it.