Forum Ban

Forum Ban

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
03 Nov 12

Australia

Moves
03 Nov 12
1 edit

Forum bans are normally issued by volunteer Forum Moderators for periods ranging from 1 day to (I think) 3 years. Length of sentence is based on severity of misdemeanour, as well as the number of previous bans given. I don't recall an indefinite ban ever being issued.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
03 Nov 12

Australia

Moves
03 Nov 12
1 edit

Many/most of us have never experienced a forum ban, and those that have rarely earn more than one. The process is that subscribers can click the "alert moderator" button if something annoys them, and enter their reason in the report which the mods see. Mostly the mods don't ban on their own account, they work off the Alerts Report and have to check the original posts/threads before they do anything. So if a ban of any kind has been issued, it has to have been bad enough to annoy at least two paying site members. Spamming - one definitiion is "posting frequently and irrelevantly in practically every thread, even if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion and are simply disrupting the dialogue with an empty link-only post" - is a bit like a small mole in an awkward spot. Mostly it doesn't bother you, but after you've bumped it 27 times in 10 minutes you're about ready to take a knife to it!

The unpaid moderators on this site do a good job in my opinion, it's a thankless task, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
05 Nov 12

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
05 Nov 12
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
It would be too easy for a group of people to get all their pals to 'go vote him \ her into a ban'...it has to be the moderators decision alone, without doubt !

Australia

Moves
05 Nov 12

Thumbs don't serve any useful purpose, and no moderator is going to trawl through pages of threads counting thumbs. Extremely unlikely! As I said mods respond to alerts (the other button) which show up in a special alerts report.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Nov 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Fortunately some are less temporary than others... but you already knew that.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
06 Nov 12

I did wonder if I'd been banned from the forum this afternoon lol...unable to get 'in' yet no announcement anywhere ?

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
06 Nov 12

You and Phlab are on "double secret probation", so watch your step! 😠

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
07 Nov 12

where is the alert moderator button??

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
07 Nov 12

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
where is the alert moderator button??
I suspect it's the exclamation mark after the thumbs buttons

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
07 Nov 12

Originally posted by venda
I suspect it's the exclamation mark after the thumbs buttons
I think alerting is a subscriber only 'privilege'...

Australia

Moves
07 Nov 12

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
I think alerting is a subscriber only 'privilege'...
It is. Nonsubs have to send feedback if they want to complain, or persuade a member to click the magic button. Probably just as well, if you think about some of the new people who wander on to this site. Bad luck for the good ones though.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by Kewpie
It is. Nonsubs have to send feedback if they want to complain, or persuade a member to click the magic button. Probably just as well, if you think about some of the new people who wander on to this site. Bad luck for the good ones though.
When I was moderating I'd suggested to Russ a way to grant alerts to longtime trusted scums. I still think it would be a good idea.