1. Joined
    30 Sep '04
    Moves
    09 May '07 08:48
    If I suspect that one of my opponents is using an engine, who should I contact (and how)? What are some common signs of engine use?

I know this was a big debate on the site awhile ago but I´ve just come back after a year away from the site, so I would appreciate some advice.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 May '07 09:27
    Originally posted by Evan Buntrock
    If I suspect that one of my opponents is using an engine, who should I contact (and how)? What are some common signs of engine use?

I know this was a big debate on the site awhile ago but I´ve just come back after a year away from the site, so I would appreciate some advice.
    Game Mods.

http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/comhub/volunteers.php
  3. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    09 May '07 09:41

Use feedback (link at the bottom of every page). Include your concerns and details of games.

Don't make public accusations in the forums - let the game mods do their job.
  4. Standard memberwinslow
    Please, argue w/ me
    Moves
    19 May '07 02:22
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Use feedback (link at the bottom of every page). Include your concerns and details of games.

Don't make public accusations in the forums - let the game mods do their job.
    you can never tell who is using a chess program sadly but you can do some research and make a logical deduction from that data. If I were experiencing such a question I'd be looking at the manner in which your opponent is playing and compare that to his/her rating. I'm a 1900 on yahoo! between all the cheaters and I still get smoked every now and again by giving a 1200 a shot at the big time. So I guess in effort to help you at least to avoid someone using a program is to not play someone quite so below your own rating. Another tell tale is, look at their winning streak and I'd definately research your opponents previous games. If he/she shows a win against a higher rated player like a 1400+ and then shows a loss to a 1200- player I'd be rather suspicious. Sometimes trusting your gut and using simple logic will keep you out of hot water and your BP down.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 May '07 09:42
    Originally posted by winslow
    you can never tell who is using a chess program sadly but you can do some research and make a logical deduction from that data. If I were experiencing such a question I'd be looking at the manner in which your opponent is playing and compare that to his/her rating. I'm a 1900 on yahoo! between all the cheaters and I still get smoked every now and again by ...[text shortened]... es trusting your gut and using simple logic will keep you out of hot water and your BP down.
    If you have suspicions you should notify the game mods with any evidence you have.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 May '07 10:43
    Originally posted by winslow
    So I guess in effort to help you at least to avoid someone using a program is to not play someone quite so below your own rating. If he/she shows a win against a higher rated player like a 1400+ and then shows a loss to a 1200- player I'd be rather suspicious. Sometimes trusting your gut and using simple logic will keep you out of hot water and your BP down.
    I'd disagree with pretty much all of this "simple logic".

D
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 May '07 20:594 edits

I'm having similar problems myself. Though (in the game in question) my own play has been oddly blunderous over the last half-dozen or so moves, that doesn't account for all of it. The opponent in question had generally been playing poorly throughout our game, and had also been losing game after game against others which that opponent has been playing simultaneously with our game. When our game began, the opponent's account was rated over 1400, and in the space of about a week the opponent's rating has fallen more than 100 points.

This opponent disappeared for a few days, and after returning, now suddenly has completely changed both the style and quality of play previously demonstrated, going from generally weak and largely defensive play, to suddenly playing very aggressively and using far-reaching and well-coordinated combinations and move sequences. I am now, suddenly, strongly reminded of a computer chess engine, and I've played against a number of strong chess engines in the past. A chess engine (the stronger ones) plays more like an advanced opponent, so that positional defects which might otherwise be relatively harmless (say, in the typical club-level game) are exploited to full advantage.

It's as if this opponent is trying to recoup some lost points with one big win (I'm rated 300 points higher). The problem is particularly annoying when playing someone who seems to switch to an engine at a critical point in the game: having already been conditioned to expect poor play from an opponent, one may become lax or at least take risks that one wouldn't have, had that opponent played like a chess engine from the start. Note also that my original challenge required opponents to have a rating between 1400 and 1700, and now this opponent has run his/her/its rating down by almost 150 points before resorting to cheating.
  8. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    25 May '07 23:09
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    [b]If I suspect that one of my opponents is using an engine, who should I contact (and how)? What are some common signs of engine use?

I'm having similar prob ...[text shortened]... onent has run his/her/its rating down by almost 150 points before resorting to cheating.[/b]
    There can be any number of reasons why a player could suddenly raise their game.
    I know my game varies a lot just based on how controlled I am about moving after coming back from the pub 😉

If you have serious concerns about a player though, you must take those to the game mods [feedback link at the bottom of every page] and let them deal with it. There is no sense in accusing people in the public forums.

As for ratings, the system is a statistical one, so the odd aberration introduced by an engine will soon smooth itself out in your rating (one has to hope that the majority of people here are fair in their games) just keep playing.
  9. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    26 May '07 01:25
    I recently dropped several games because I was taking exams and still moving all of my games on here... 170 point rating swing...
  10. Joined
    25 May '07
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 00:24
    In my opinion, you should not really worry about people using engines. Yes, I understand that you loose chess games and your rating goes down. But there are good things too. When you loose, you learn. The other peson, who used a program does not learn anything.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree