1. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 16:39
    I need some help. Can anyone recommend a way to get rid of pop up ads? Is there one product better than another that can be downloaded to combat this? Sometimes I spend more time closing out ads than I do making moves. I would be willing to spend in the $20-50 dollar range if anyone knows of anything really good. Not very computer literate, could use some help here. Rgds., Bob
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 16:44
    Originally posted by Bobla45
    I need some help. Can anyone recommend a way to get rid of pop up ads? Is there one product better than another that can be downloaded to combat this? Sometimes I spend more time closing out ads than I do making moves. I would be willing to spend in the $20-50 dollar range if anyone knows of anything really good. Not very computer literate, could use some help here. Rgds., Bob
    I am a pop-up blocker. Right click the anoying pop ups right from your menu bar... right click and hit "c" for close.

You might also want to change your privacy settings so you are in control of all incoming cookies.

Other than that, perhaps somone will link you with a manual pop-up blocker.

P-
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 16:57
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I am a pop-up blocker. Right click the anoying pop ups right from your menu bar... right click and hit "c" for close.

You might also want to change your privacy settings so you are in control of all incoming cookies.

Other than that, perhaps somone will link you with a manual pop-up blocker.

P-
    Install the google tool bar. It includes a pop up killer. It is free, by a reputable company - and it works very well.

http://toolbar.google.com/

-Russ
  4. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 16:57
    I'd recommend ZoneAlarm.
    Download @ http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?lid=pdb_za1

The Freeversion should work for the pop-ups.

See also http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?id=8373

Gotti
  5. Joined
    08 Mar '03
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 17:00
    Some web browsers have this capability built into them (and are free).

Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org) lets you block all pop up windows. The browser can be configured to allow only the popups you want. I use Mozilla-Firebird and have no problems.

Maybe download this and try it out?

Cheers
    Laz
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 17:07
    I have put on the Google toolbar, as recommended by Russ, I will see how that works for a while. If I still have problems i will try some of these other suggestions. Thanks to all who replied to this thread. Rgds., Bob
  7. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 18:11
    AOL 8.0 has pop up blocking built in but when I have to use Internet Explorer the Pop Ups get through... and I have Zone Alarm installed and active.

Andrew
  8. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 21:54
    Hi Bob,
    I've been using the Google tool bar for a few months now and am quite happy with it. I also find the built in search feature quite nice as it's "always on top"

Regards,
    Charlie
  9. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 22:28
    I don't think Zonealarm (at least the free version) has anything to do with popups; at least it doesn't block popups in my machine. I'd be surpriced to see a popup blocking feature in it as well... maybe it's just me but a firewall/popup-blocker sounds a bit like a toothbrush/toaster combination. 🙄

I myself use Mozilla, and have configured it to stop unwanted popups. Works without fail, I'm very happy with it.

-Jarno
  10. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    07 Feb '04 23:04
    [i
    I myself use Mozilla, and have configured it to stop unwanted popups. Works without fail, I'm very happy with it.

-Jarno[/b]
    Hi Jarno,

Off topic here, but I've been meaning to ask you, for my son in law's info...where in Finland are you? My son in law was born in Helsinki and his mother and youngest brother are living there now. He exports to Finland and Estonia.
    Regards,
    Charlie
  11. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    08 Feb '04 00:06
    Originally posted by chaswray
    Hi Jarno,

Off topic here, but I've been meaning to ask you, for my son in law's info...where in Finland are you? My son in law was born in Helsinki and his mother and youngest brother are living there now. He exports to Finland and Estonia.
    Regards,
    Charlie
    Hi Charlie,

I was born in Espoo, a city that's practically attached to Helsinki, and live downtown Helsinki nowadays. 🙂

-Jarno
  12. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Feb '04 03:39
    Originally posted by Russ
    Install the google tool bar. It includes a pop up killer. It is free, by a reputable company - and it works very well.

http://toolbar.google.com/

-Russ
    Yes, it is good and it does nuke those pop-ups (IE xx incl.) and it is free but it is also spyware along with the hotmail bar and IE's 'emoticon' download.
    Let the user of freeware beware of the spyware. 😏

the skeeter

13. Over seas
    Moves
    08 Feb '04 09:28
    I have noticed that when I use msn home page it's pop up city. I now use earthlinks home page. No pop ups. Never Ever!

http://start.earthlink.net/start?id=1

Mike
  14. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    08 Feb '04 09:34
    Use Netscape or Mozzila, in the preference settings you can block all pop ups.
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    08 Feb '04 13:00
    I have put on the Google toolbar, as recommended by Russ, I will see how that works for a while. If I still have problems i will try some of these other suggestions. Thanks to all who replied to this thread. Rgds., Bob
    Well, its been about 24 hours with the Google toolbar, not a single pop up ad yet.😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree