1. Joined
    06 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 08:13
    Can anyone please answer a couple of questions for me as I am new to chess. If a pawn initially has two moves, then why can I not take an opponent's piece with the pawn, ie opponent's bishop atB5 my pawn at A7 I thought first move one square to A6 then diagonal toB5 to take the bishop. Why would this move not be allowed.
    Secondly, if my opponent makes a move on on the list of game moves the move appears as 0-0 instead of say BF1-D3 what does this mean. Many thanks, Ian Game 2535233
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 08:31
    Originally posted by surfingian
    Can anyone please answer a couple of questions for me as I am new to chess. If a pawn initially has two moves, then why can I not take an opponent's piece with the pawn, ie opponent's bishop atB5 my pawn at A7 I thought first move one square to A6 then diagonal toB5 to take the bishop. Why would this move not be allowed.
    Secondly, if my opponent makes ...[text shortened]... ears as 0-0 instead of say BF1-D3 what does this mean. Many thanks, Ian Game 2535233
    I recommend 2 things. Learn the rules of chess in the FAQ, and learn algebraic chess notation.

D
  3. Joined
    06 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 10:34
    Many thanks for that Ragnorak, I found the FAQ section which has been a help in answering my questions. Ian
  4. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 17:54
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I recommend 2 things. Learn the rules of chess in the FAQ, and learn algebraic chess notation.

D
    Or people could just be kind, supportive and helpful in a forum meant to be, rather than just say "go look it up yourself'.

Did you get your questions answered? Any more? You will find most people to be a little different than Ignarak(EDIT) Ragnorak hopefully - especially in the help forum.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 19:07
    Originally posted by impatient
    Or people could just be kind, supportive and helpful in a forum meant to be, rather than just say "go look it up yourself'.

Did you get your questions answered? Any more? You will find most people to be a little different than Ignarak(EDIT) Ragnorak hopefully - especially in the help forum.
    Did you miss surfingian's thank you post for directing him to the answers? He'll have learned more about the game, than if I had just answered his one specific question. I didn't say "go look it up yourself", I told him where he could find the answers to his questions.

And for your information, the sticky thread at the top of the help forum was my idea.

I have just suggested an amendment to MCA's plan, and have written an updated section for the FAQ, entitled "How do I get a Profile/forum Picture?", trying to get a team together to have the FAQ updated within a month. Thread 52809

I have been a beta tester on this site, and have suggested numerous ideas in the Site Ideas forum which Russ has implemented.

I was one of the most active helpers in the help forum when I had more time.

I dunno why you launched this attack, but if you want to flame me, try to do it in General.

D
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 19:51
    Did you miss surfingian's thank you post for directing him to the answers? He'll have learned more about the game, than if I had just answered his one specific question. I didn't say "go look it up yourself", I told him where he could find the answers to his questions.

And for your information, the sticky thread at the top of the help forum was my id ...[text shortened]... why you launched this attack, but if you want to flame me, try to do it in General.

D
    how do i get rid of a game where the time has run out?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 19:56
    Originally posted by johnnight1
    Just skull him out (click on the little skull icon) and collect your win and the rating points.
    Then you can delete the game or do whatever you want with it.
  8. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 20:091 edit

And for your information, the sticky thread at the top of the help forum was my id why you launched this attack, but if you want to flame me, try to do it in General.

D
    Attack? Someone sensitive a little? I am sure you are all the things you claim, but surely this isnt the first time you have been told you lack qualities such at being supportive, pleasant, etc. Those are personality traits, not expertise re: chess accomplishmenst that you are so proud of. Its called being nice, rather than just cold blunt.

Notice FabianFans helpful response above? A little more pleasant response than "Go read the FAQs".
  9. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 20:141 edit
    Originally posted by johnnight1
    balls - i must have taken ages to write that and now its totally pointless 🙁 - ignore this post
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 20:43
    Attack? Someone sensitive a little? I am sure you are all the things you claim, but surely this isnt the first time you have been told you lack qualities such at being supportive, pleasant, etc. Those are personality traits, not expertise re: chess accomplishmenst that you are so proud of. Its called being nice, rather than just cold blunt.

Noti ...[text shortened]... FabianFans helpful response above? A little more pleasant response than "Go read the FAQs".
    Get lost impatient. No one here cares what you think.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 20:50

Noti ...[text shortened]... FabianFans helpful response above? A little more pleasant response than "Go read the FAQs".
    You're entitled to your opinion.

The fact that surferian thanked me for taking the time to respond to his question is enough for me.

Re: Personality traits, you'll have trouble finding a hissy fit from me because I got timed out in a game in which I agreed on the time controls.

And I especially liked your post..."Name calling is used by some at a poor replacement for rational intelligent thinking, when one is not able to do so. I think you have made it real clear who is the immature one here". Seems quite apt considering your initial post in this thread.

D
  12. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 20:54
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Get lost impatient. No one here cares what you think.
    You obviously care what I think, otherwise you wouldnt have responded!

I am always amazed how chess snobs defend their right to be a__hol__. Dare to suggest that there may be somemore pleasantness on th site and all the jerks come to the support of the other jerks. Somehow you all think it is cool to be jerks and think it elevates you to somesort of elite status. I think most people see you for who you really are - self -important chess snobs who most likely are 300+ lb fat slobs who have no life other than rotting away in their own stench at their keyboard. Like the bullys at school who turned out to be losers while the rest of us learned manners and civility and had well rounded lives, and didnt feel a need to be rude to other people just to feel more important ourselves.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 21:01
    Originally posted by surfingian
    Many thanks for that Ragnorak, I found the FAQ section which has been a help in answering my questions. Ian
    No worries, surfingian. Glad to have been of assistance.

D
  14. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 22:08
    You're entitled to your opinion.

The fact that surferian thanked me for taking the time to respond to his question is enough for me.

Re: Personality traits, you'll have trouble finding a hissy fit from me because I got timed out in a game in which I agreed on the time controls.

And I especially liked your post..."Name calling is used by some at a ...[text shortened]... the immature one here". Seems quite apt considering your initial post in this thread.

D
    I dont think anyone has any idea what you are talking about.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Sep '06 23:49

D
    Rec'd, for a helpful contribution

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree