RHP pgn emails

Standard membergumbie
Help 01 Oct '04 10:00
  1. Standard membergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 10:00
    Does anyone know how I have to modify rhp pgn emails so fritz can understand them?

When I try to put them in a database fritz just gets everything mixed up.
  2. London
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 13:39
    Originally posted by gumbie
    Does anyone know how I have to modify rhp pgn emails so fritz can understand them?

I've had this problem as well - apparently it has to do with the way white space is handled in the email.

My (less than perfect) solution - use an intermediate chess program like GNU Chess/Winboard to open up the pgn, then save individual games in separate pgns. Fritz is able to recognise the new files.

Luc
  3. Standard membergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 14:20
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I've had this problem as well - apparently it has to do with the way white space is handled in the email.

My (less than perfect) solution - use an intermediate chess program like GNU Chess/Winboard to open up the pgn, then save individual games in separate pgns. Fritz is able to recognise the new files.

Luc
    Thanks for the reply. I'll be able to use this system for my favourite games at least.

I'll try and come up with something for the other 1200 I've got sitting there!
  4. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '04 03:27
    I had this problem. It is because of word wrapping. I loaded the files into a text editor (textedit will do) and examined each PGN data section.

If a bracketed line is split, rejoin it. Likewise for castling moves and the final score.

For example (showing only the errors, elipses for correct parts):
    [GameId "517588
    "]
    ... 0-
    0 ...
    ... 1-

becomes:
    [GameId "517588"]
    ... 0-0 ...
    ... 1-0

I hope this helps.

5. West Virginia
    Moves
    25 Oct '04 00:09
    It would be nice if the developers would, in the program which generates the html for the "email PGN to you" links, add an html break tag after each "]" in the beginning and again after each, say, 6th move or so.

I think this would straighten out the wrap problem which, it seems, many including myself have to edit around to add our games into our databases.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Oct '04 09:52
    Originally posted by Drax946
    It would be nice if the developers would, in the program which generates the html for the "email PGN to you" links, add an html break tag after each "]" in the beginning and again after each, say, 6th move or so.

I think this would straighten out the wrap problem which, it seems, many including myself have to edit around to add our games into our databases.
    I suggested b4, that all that is needed is a view all pgns link on there. It would just load up all your game's pgns on screen, and then u could copy and paste them without worrying about formatting.

Another solution is to generate a simple .pgn (text) file, and email that. You don't have to worry about web formatting then, and the mails would be the same size, and it lessens the fiddling the user has to do on his side, ie: instead of selecting all pgns, copying, opening text file, pasting, saving, u just download the .pgn file and rename it whatever u want.

With regards the html break tags, they mess up some chess programs aws well, ie: Chess Genius for the pocket pc.
    D
  7. London
    Moves
    26 Oct '04 20:431 edit

Have you tried the "PGN fixer"? http://www7.brinkster.com/obyrne/rhp_pgn_fixer.htm

I wrote this a while ago; it may or may not fix your problems - please let me know if it doesn't.
    Hosting is courtesy of gregoftheweb, who wrote the famous RHP Ratings Calculator, to which the PGN fixer is linked.

I could also send you a Perl program that could do a bulk fixup job. [Perl is a free programming language that's quite easy to install on any computer that you're likely to be using.]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree