Scoring

Standard membervik19
Help 19 May '12 18:45
  1. Joined
    26 Apr '12
    Moves
    19 May '12 18:45
    Hi everybody! I'm new of the site, and even if I have read the related FAQ, I have some doubts about scoring, maybe someone of you can explain me how it works. After 5 rated games system gave me a quite high score that is, on my opinion, exagerated.
    My first game was a draw against an opponent that was rated 1451: result my rating went down from 1200 to 1190! But isn't a draw against a stronger opponent a positive result anyway?
    Second game I won against an opponent rating 1181 and my score jumped to 1451!!! Almost a 300 jump!
    Third game I won against an opponent rating 1281 and my score went up again to 1516
    Fourth game I won against an opponent rating 1156 and I reached 1570
    Fifth game I won against an opponent rating 975 and my score went down to 1559!
    Now, while I have 5 games running, and none finished, my score is 1522.
    I understand that 5 rated games are too few to give a reasonable score, but this seem to me really erratic and I don't understand how it works.
    Cheers
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 May '12 19:50
    Originally posted by vik19
    Hi everybody! I'm new of the site, and even if I have read the related FAQ, I have some doubts about scoring, maybe someone of you can explain me how it works. After 5 rated games system gave me a quite high score that is, on my opinion, exagerated.
    My first game was a draw against an opponent that was rated 1451: result my rating went down from 1200 to 1190 ...[text shortened]... onable score, but this seem to me really erratic and I don't understand how it works.
    Cheers
    Have you noticed the "p" by the side of the rating value?
    This means provisional and there is no point taking any notice of your rating until you have completed 20 rated games.
    The equation will work after this.
  3. Joined
    26 Apr '12
    Moves
    19 May '12 20:44
    Hi Dave thank you for answering. Yes I noticed the p and I know that my scoring cannot be accurate before the 20 games limit, but nevertheless it seems to me that some socring variations are not right. For example how it is possible that the score goes down after a winning game or while I'm playng and I have not completed any game?
    Anyway I'll wait and see.
    Cheers
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 May '12 21:19
    Originally posted by vik19
    My first game was a draw against an opponent that was rated 1451: result my rating went down from 1200 to 1190 ...[text shortened]... onable score, but this seem to me really erratic and I don't understand how it works.
    Cheers
    I thing your graph may be confusing you. The first bar shows you at 1200 although the graph reaches down to 1190. Click on this first bar and it will show your rating as 1200.If you click on second bar, it shows your rating as 1451 (your first game :draw v 1451). Next bar shows your rating as 1516 . You get rating of 1581 (opponent rating +400) for second game. Thus 1581+1451/2=1516. The rule of thumb for first five games is opponent rating +400 for win, opponent rating -400 for loss, opponent rating for draw. You then get an average
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 May '12 23:38
    The FAQ explains it all quite well if you read it carefully. In practical terms, any rating with a "p" is regarded as an indication only because of the way it is calculated. Because you've had only wins you have a high "r" rating, but by the time you get to 20 games it will have settled somewhere near its real level. Just keep playing ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree