1. Joined
    21 May '07
    Moves
    23 May '07 10:25
    Is it ok during rhp games (or correspondence games in general) to use a board to assist with thinking about moves? Note I am *not* asking about using a chess engine. I mean setting up the game on a real chess board then playing both sides myself, unassisted by anything else, as an aid to visualisation and planning of moves. Essentially using the board to play out scenarios rather than playing them out just in my head.

I have read the terms of service and nothing I could see seems to rule this out. However since I have just started here I want to make sure I am not planning to do something that is frowned on.

Thanks.
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 May '07 10:40

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    21 May '07
    Moves
    23 May '07 11:55
    I didnt realise the analysis feature let me project moves into the future. I thought I could only replay previous moves. Thanks!!
  4. Joined
    22 Apr '07
    Moves
    23 May '07 17:40
    I have found that the Analysis Board allows projecting future moves, but it does NOT allow me to save the notation for each variation I consider. Is thre a way to copy the variation onto the notebook on the game site? It doesn't copy and paste for me. Thanks, Peter
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 May '07 18:37
    Originally posted by pkrones
    I have found that the Analysis Board allows projecting future moves, but it does NOT allow me to save the notation for each variation I consider. Is thre a way to copy the variation onto the notebook on the game site? It doesn't copy and paste for me. Thanks, Peter
    pkrones,

Consider getting WinBoard at http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html

You can paste pgn in and copy it out to a text document.

Next, you can copy the desired moves to your notebook. You might consider saving each PGN in a game folder on your computer and the notebook would be irrelevant. I don't use notebook at all anymore.

There is a lot more this tool can help you with, like setting up fen positions and more.

P-
  6. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    24 May '07 23:25
    Originally posted by Deece
    Is it ok during rhp games (or correspondence games in general) to use a board to assist with thinking about moves? Note I am *not* asking about using a chess engine. I mean setting up the game on a real chess board then playing both sides myself, unassisted by anything else, as an aid to visualisation and planning of moves. Essentially using the board to play ...[text shortened]... tarted here I want to make sure I am not planning to do something that is frowned on.

Thanks.
    not that it matters, but it's not like anyone could stop you if it was illegal😕
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 May '07 02:25
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    not that it matters, but it's not like anyone could stop you if it was illegal😕
    Deece is very capable of stopping himself. Otherwise, he wouldn't have asked.

P-
  8. Joined
    22 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 May '07 02:07
    Thank you, Phlabibit! I will check oit out tomorrow. That would make the site a whole lot easier to use. As you know, when moves sometimes have days between, one can really lose the flow! - Peter
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 May '07 15:14
    Originally posted by pkrones
    Thank you, Phlabibit! I will check oit out tomorrow. That would make the site a whole lot easier to use. As you know, when moves sometimes have days between, one can really lose the flow! - Peter
    The notebook facility is also handy if you're playing for a certain combination.

D
  10. Joined
    21 May '07
    Moves
    31 May '07 00:25
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Deece is very capable of stopping himself. Otherwise, he wouldn't have asked.

P-
    Yes. Stop it or you will go blind.
  11. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 17:55
    i do this...

how about using chess books... during the entire game? don't laugh someone here told me that's acceptable, though i disagree..
  12. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 18:20
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    i do this...

how about using chess books... during the entire game? don't laugh someone here told me that's acceptable, though i disagree..
    Here you go, from the Terms of Service which you can check at the bottom of the page....

" 3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials. "
  13. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 18:41
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Here you go, from the Terms of Service which you can check at the bottom of the page....

" 3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials. "
    yeah i saw that, thanks.
  14. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 06:06
    i didn't realize that i was allowed to think
  15. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 06:181 edit
    The only time I used a board I spent a few hours working out a win with a king and 2 bishops.

Then promptly forgot how I did it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree