1. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 13:46
    I just timed one of them out. Not because I needed,or wanted,the win,but I consider what they do to be unethical. Either you're on vacation with no access to a computer,or you're not.
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 13:501 edit
    Originally posted by sundown316
    I just timed one of them out. Not because I needed,or wanted,the win,but I consider what they do to be unethical. Either you're on vacation with no access to a computer,or you're not.
    I agree - if you can get online then it wouldn't be a hardship for you to take your flag off while you're moving.

P.S. I hope it was a TWIN PEAKS chess club clan game, Sundown! 😉
  3. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 13:55
    Originally posted by Exy
    I agree - if you can get online then it wouldn't be a hardship for you to take your flag off while you're moving.

P.S. I hope it was a [b]TWIN PEAKS chess club
    clan game, Sundown! 😉[/b]
    Sorry,Exy,but it wasn't a clan game.
  4. Standard memberknight77
    The Knights rules
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 14:38
    Some people maybe lie about having a vacation
  5. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 15:00
    Originally posted by knight77
    Some people maybe lie about having a vacation
    Possibly,tho I think it's just a cheap way to get some free thinking time. Well,nothing is free.
  6. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 15:031 edit
    Possibly,tho I think it's just a cheap way to get some free thinking time. Well,nothing is free.
    I have had people abuse the vacation flag on me so many times that I have gone from being somebody who used to respect it and never time out to somebody who claims a win the minute the skull comes up.

I think there would be a lot less confusion and argument over time outs if the vacation flag was done away with and people learnt to use the time out / time bank settings correctly.
  7. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 15:39
    surely it depends what their vacation message says...

for example it may say "gone on holiday for 3 weeks, don't know quite when i'll next see a PC" it is reasonable to put the flag up.

on the other hand, vacation flag, no message, and still moving up MAP is slightly different...
  8. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 15:55
    This particular opponent only requested that he not be timed out,yet he showed up 2 times to move,while "on vacation". Couldn't be much of a vacation,I'm thinking.
  9. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 16:52
    I have an opponent who moves often now that he's on vacation,than when he wasn't...........😕
  10. Standard memberArther
    The Turtle Hermit
    Turtle Island
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 17:49
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I have an opponent who moves often now that he's on vacation,than when he wasn't...........😕
    yeah, probably finally has the time to play.😀
    I think some people may put up the 'on vacation' simply because they are on vacation, & not because they won't be able to get to a computer.
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 17:53
    It's a non sense,the vacation flag's purpose is for people who's not able to move due to holydays,business travels or whatever.
  12. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 18:011 edit
    Originally posted by Ravello
    It's a non sense,the vacation flag's purpose is for people who's not able to move due to holydays,business travels or whatever.
    As long as people using it realise that it doesn't stop the time out / time bank and it is at the discretion of their opponent as to whether they claim the win or not, then that's fine.
  13. Joined
    27 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 21:02
    I am surprised by some of the comments here. I recently went on holiday for ten days to the west of France and when I left I realised that I would be in danger of being timed out in a number of games. Well, c'est la vie, as they say. Whilst away I managed to find an internet cafe and, much to my wife's irritation, spent half an hour making moves in those games which were in danger of being timed out. I left my vacation flag on whilst making these moves and I don't think I contravened the spirit the game in any way. Am I wrong?
  14. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 21:13
    I think that if you had time to move then you had time to turn your flag off first. I can understand why people think it's suspicious when people move whilst their flag is on as there are a number of people who put the flag on to try and stall for time.

The thing is that if you know you're likely to go away some time soon it's easy to change your challenge settings to include a longer time bank and ask your clan leaders to do the same or put yourself off clan duty.

The vacation flag on it's own doesn't prevent players from being timed out so the best practice is to make use of the time settings before you go away.
  15. Joined
    27 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Jul '04 21:281 edit
    Originally posted by Exy
    I think that if you had time to move then you had time to turn your flag off first. I can understand why people think it's suspicious when people move whilst their flag is on as there are a number of people who put the flag on to try and stal ...[text shortened]... t practice is to make use of the time settings before you go away.
    I had no control over the time settings in these games as they were second round tournament games which I had no idea were even coming up.
    Are you saying that I should have turned my vacation flag off, made my moves, and then turned it back on. That is ridiculous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree