1. UK
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 05:25
    Originally posted by Exy
    Grrr.... Anti-Rec - Anti-Rec!

They don't abuse the flag - they abuse the good nature of those people here who have stated they will not time out opponents who have their vacation flag on. Now, does that make it clearer for you to understand?
    It's still something that makes no odds. So long as they continue to move then the opportunity will not arise.

If they do not move, and you feel the need, and you have noticed them "abusing" the system, then where is the problem in timing them out?

I play a fair amount of games, Only a very few times have I seen anyone move under the flag. I find it hard to believe that this abuse is so widespread as to actually have an impact, but then maybe I just don't notice it as much. Who knows.
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 06:181 edit
    A fair amount of games - 27 in progress? Hmm... try 124 (a drop for me recently). 🙄

That's not meant as a brag, just by way of comparison. I haven't lost a game through time out since I subscribed to the site. I always click "remind" when my opponents have run into their time banks but once the flag falls and the skull appears I claim the win and I say so in my profile.
  3. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by sundown316
    This particular opponent only requested that he not be timed out,yet he showed up 2 times to move,while "on vacation". Couldn't be much of a vacation,I'm thinking.
    I think it's best to think twice about timing people out if they have moved whilst their vacation flag is up.

I managed to make a few moves on vacation in Italy when I had some spare time and wandered into an internet cafe in Pizza. At the time I thought this would be a nice way to keep my games moving for my ops. However I set my vacation flag when I went off to Italy because I didn't realise I would be able to do that. I don't think that what I did should be considered an abuse of the vacation flag!

Personally I don't time people out, even if all their time is up and they are not on vacation, unless I have obviously won and it's just a matter of some mechanical moves until checkmate. I have fun here when I win games by good play, and I get no satisfaction in winning by timeout. The only exception has been one game where the guy had not moved for about 3 months with his vacation flag on as I thought that he should have mentioned how long his vacation was going to be in his profile if it was going to be that long.

Of course this doesn't apply to RHP members who can play only a limited number of games at once, I would expect them to time people out more readily. It might be better if games where the op was timed out were not counted as active games when you tried to start a new game.

If you agree with that please rec this post and I'll stick it in its own thread as a site idea.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 17:36
    Originally posted by Exy
    So, you're happy being a soft touch, more fool you. Good luck in all your games.
    Less a soft touch, more someone who is not bothered by things out of my control... the flag exists, people use it/abuse it as they wish, let them get on with it. More fool those losing sleep over it.

If losing a game 'cos someone 'abused' the vacation flag meant my family were gonna be hurt, or I'd lose my house then fair enough I would have a problem with it. As it stands though the worst that will happen is that my 'rating' will drop. Big deal.
  5. UK
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 17:52
    Originally posted by rhb
    Less a soft touch, more someone who is not bothered by things out of my control... the flag exists, people use it/abuse it as they wish, let them get on with it. More fool those losing sleep over it.

If losing a game 'cos someone 'abused' the vacation flag meant my family were gonna be hurt, or I'd lose my house then fair enough I would have a problem with it. As it stands though the worst that will happen is that my 'rating' will drop. Big deal.
    Indeed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree