1. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '09 20:31
    why should a person be allowed to move while they are "on vacation"?

the whole idea behind "vacation" is that you can take a break (for whatever reason) without having to worry about your games timing out. But if you're making moves, then you're not taking a break.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jan '09 20:39
    Originally posted by Melanerpes

the whole idea behind "vacation" is that you can take a break (for whatever reason) without having to worry about your games timing out. But if you're making moves, then you're not taking a break.
    i agree with you.

Some people though might be called away and are not sure whether they can move or not (or have restricted internet, etc) but can manage the odd move.

i've done it myself but i can see how it can be abused so easily
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Jan '09 21:45
    This comes up often, so here we go.

Why do you want to slow games down? Someone may be on vacation (I weent to St. Martin) and every second day I would go to the Internet café to get a FEN and sit on the balcony to make a move on a new chess board I purchased ($12.00 Marble pieces wood case.)

Anyway, vacation is taken for any reason you like. I had a bad snow storm and there was a chance I might lose power for 3 days. I went on vacation. The power stayed on, I made moves.

For every user that abuses the vacation (remember, you only get 36 a year, so eventually they'll burn through it) there are 100 people using it proper. I only used 13 or so days last year, I pretty much forgot I had it. But changing the rule to say NO MOVES is only going to slow things down more when someone is using the vacation for the right reasons.

P-
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '09 22:21

no, the whole reason for 'vacation' is to give you a grace period from time outs, the name 'vacation' isn't accurate for what it's purpose is. i may have joined a 1/0 tournament thinking i have a lot of time in the coming weeks to finish the games but something happens and i might not be able to move every day in each game, so i put my flag up and continue to move when i can. what is wrong with that?

anyway what do you care you don't have any vacation period.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '09 22:56
    Originally posted by trev33
    no, the whole reason for 'vacation' is to give you a grace period from time outs, the name 'vacation' isn't accurate for what it's purpose is. i may have joined a 1/0 tournament thinking i have a lot of time in the coming weeks to finish the games but something happens and i might not be able to move every day in each game, so i put my flag up and continue to ...[text shortened]... what is wrong with that?

It involves one of my opponents. The FAQ wasn't particularly clear about the whole thing and I was wondering if there was a legitimate reason for being "on vacation" and still making moves. Some good arguments have been made.

It probably would be best to send a message explaining why you are taking "vacation" and how long it is likely to last - and if possible to warn in advance that a "vacation" is coming up and give your opponent the chance to delete a game that might sit there for weeks - this is especially important for non-subscribers who have a 6 board limit.

36 vacation days per year also seems like a lot of time -- I would imagine that most situations could be dealt with by just setting your time limits and-or time banks to high levels.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 07:09
    It probably would be best to send a message explaining why you are taking "vacation" and how long it is likely to last
    Any other information you expect your anonymous opponent on an online website to send you? What they had for breakfast, how the wife's headache was last night?

D
  7. ALG
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 07:28
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    This comes up often, so here we go.

Why do you want to slow games down? Someone may be on vacation (I weent to St. Martin) and every second day I would go to the Internet café to get a FEN and sit on the balcony to make a move on a new chess board I purchased ($12.00 Marble pieces wood case.)

Anyway, vacation is taken for any reason you like. I had ...[text shortened]... going to slow things down more when someone is using the vacation for the right reasons.

P-
    What is exactly the difference between vacation and timebank? I thought timebank was for if one is unable to move for a while
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 12:06
    [b]

It involves one of my opponents. The FAQ wasn't particularly clear about the whole thing and I was wondering if there was a legitimate reason for being "on vacation" and still making moves. Some good arguments have been made.

It probably would be ...[text shortened]... s could be dealt with by just setting your time limits and-or time banks to high levels.[/b]
    It probably would be best to send a message explaining why you are taking "vacation" and how long it is likely to last - and if possible to warn in advance that a "vacation" is coming up and give your opponent the chance to delete a game that might sit there for weeks - this is especially important for non-subscribers who have a 6 board limit.

we can leave a message when we go on vacation saying why we're on vacation and how long it is expected to last etc, some chose to use it and others don't. as a lot of people are playing a lot of games when we go on vacation we can't send an opponent a message saying we'll be away for x amount of days from whenever. the fact is that the site is geared to help subscribers the most as we are paying to help the site run. of course non-subs are important to but not in a matter like this.

36 vacation days per year also seems like a lot of time -- I would imagine that most situations could be dealt with by just setting your time limits and-or time banks to high levels

a lot of people would agree with you, personally i'd like to see an unlimited amount of vacation time so i never get timed out 😛
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 13:044 edits
    If you can get online to set your vacation, then you can also make a move while there.
    The system is abused.
    FACT.

If you say you know in advance when you will be away, simply set the games' timebanks correctly. 🙁

Most subscribers naturally love the unfair advantage they get over non-sub-scumbags. 🙄
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 13:201 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    If you say you know in advance when you will be away, simply set the games' timebanks correctly. 🙁
    I entered a Tournament 1134 in June 2006. It is still going. At that time I couldn't tell the future 18 months ahead.
    Tell me: How can I set my games' time bank properly 18 months in advance?

On the other hand - I think that the rules should be the same for subs and non-subs. No advantage in a single game, weather you're a sub or not.

I once proposed my idea of "seald moves concept" and got much critics of it. This concept would make it perfectly fair for everyone. I don't dare to propose it again though...
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 15:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

I once proposed my idea of "seald moves concept" and got much critics of it. This concept would make it perfectly fair for everyone. I don't dare to propose it again though...
    And I won't bother telling you your idea slows games down more over spite against a few users abusing the system.

P-
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 15:41
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    And I won't bother telling you your idea slows games down more over spite against a few users abusing the system.

P-
    I like the idea of a "sealed move" concept - where a game would be "adjourned" for a specific amount of time.

I would propose that these "adjourned games" not count towards the 6 board limit during the time they are adjourned. It would be kind of like baseball's disabled lists which allow teams to bring in another player to fill the roster spot. There would probably have to be a temporary exception to the 6 board limit to allow an adjourned game to resume (or some other resolution to this issue)

I would also propose that there should be some way for games to be simply deleted if both players agree - it wouldn't be draw - it would just be as if the game never occurred. So, if you needed a break, you could probably get some opponents (where the game is early and-or very even) to agree to drop a game rather than sit through a lengthy "vacation" or "adjournment"
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Jan '09 16:01
    I like the idea of a "sealed move" concept - where a game would be "adjourned" for a specific amount of time.

I would propose that these "adjourned games" not count towards the 6 board limit during the time they are adjourned. It would be kind of like baseball's disabled lists which allow teams to bring in another player to fill the roster spot. There ...[text shortened]... o agree to drop a game rather than sit through a lengthy "vacation" or "adjournment"
    I would suggest paying for a great service.

P-
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 16:56
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

On the other hand - I think that the rules should be the same for subs and non-subs. No advantage in a single game, weather you're a sub or not.
    If everything is equal between subs and non-subs, then there would be no reason to become a sub?
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 19:05
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    If everything is equal between subs and non-subs, then there would be no reason to become a sub?
    I didn't say that. The difference should remain outside the games. 6 game limit, no tournaments nor clans, no avatars, etc...

But from the point where a game starts, the conditions should be the same between a sub and a non-sub.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree