1. Joined
    20 Nov '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 23:11
    6145235 - this is the game.

I'm white and I believe my opponent is in checkmate, but for some reason it says opponents move....

Have I missed something????
  2. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 23:28
    Originally posted by Diner Hank
    6145235 - this is the game.

I'm white and I believe my opponent is in checkmate, but for some reason it says opponents move....

Have I missed something????
    Have I missed something???? Yes! It's a game in progress so I or no one can say much. But there is a move your opponent has to not be in checkmate. en passant.
  3. Joined
    20 Nov '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 23:40
    Just looked it up. After all these years of playing, I never knew this existed. Thank you very much. Also, I plan on letting my opponent know if he does not know about en passant already. Once again, thank you.
  4. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 23:55
    Originally posted by Diner Hank
    Just looked it up. After all these years of playing, I never knew this existed. Thank you very much. Also, I plan on letting my opponent know if he does not know about en passant already. Once again, thank you.
    😉
  5. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 01:43
    Hey KD, let me ask your opinion. If this had been an OTB game, would you, as a bystander, have said what you did to one of the players? This situation has come up many times and I've always seen it as an outsider helping in an active game.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 01:47
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Hey KD, let me ask your opinion. If this had been an OTB game, would you, as a bystander, have said what you did to one of the players? This situation has come up many times and I've always seen it as an outsider helping in an active game.
    every player has a right to know the rules. anyway he would've seen why it wasn't mate after his opponents next move. you really see a problem with KD here?
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 02:011 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    every player has a right to know the rules. anyway he would've seen why it wasn't mate after his opponents next move.
    No, every player has a responsbility to know the rules or his game could suffer. Suppose the opponent in question didn't know en passent either. He had thought he was checkmated, but then he reads this thread. The information that was given had the potential to change the game's outcome. Again would you do it as a bystander in an OTB game?
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 02:38
    No, every player has a responsbility to know the rules or his game could suffer. Suppose the opponent in question didn't know en passent either. He had thought he was checkmated, but then he reads this thread. The information that was given had the potential to change the game's outcome. Again would you do it as a bystander in an OTB game?
    this isn't otb. but isn't there a match referee in otb tournaments? if this came up he would be called and would explain the rule.

plus this is obviously just a friendly game, the guy even said he would pm his opponent to tell him what he needed to do to continue the game.

i'm shocked you see a problem here.
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 04:094 edits
    I did what I thought was right in this situation. This isn't a tournament game or any game that's in a competition. I felt a little uneasy saying what I said, but I said it to help out. It's done. If RHP staff have a problem with it they will notify me or kick me and I will live just fine with it. I was only trying to help.
    And how it changes the outcome of the game I can not see. It's the only move that can be made next in this game.
    If it was a OTB game and I was a bystander, I wouldn't say anything. I would let the REFS handle it.
    Thanks tev33 for the understanding and support.
  10. Joined
    23 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 12:32
    I don't see anything unfair about this post, specifically because neither player knew about it, and it was thought to be a website glitch. In a real game, I wouldn't mention it. If one player lays down his king, that's his choice. When there's the question of a website malfunction, I think some clarification is in order.

That's just me, though.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 13:421 edit
    KD made a big mistake telling the problem with the game.

To handle this situation right, someone should first say, "Sorry, we are not able to comment on a game in progress".

Next, you may be able to say something like "Review ALL rules on chess and with luck you may find the problem".

Flat out saying that the problem is en passant is commenting on the given game in progress. (someone already said Knowing the Rules is the key, not being TOLD the rules in the middle of the game. I totally agree with that.)

Telling the user to review ALL rules ensures them there is no bug at RHP. Asking for help is simple enough when you don't know something, but the answer shouldn't be flat out given in this situation. Explain about games in progress (no comments), and tell a user to review the rules (we are allowed data and book learning here at RHP) is fine.

As for this situation, seems KD is giving advice to the opponant of the player asking questions about a game in progress... so an advantage is not given to the player asking about a game, but now perhaps given to the player who might not know all the rules.

P-
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 13:49
    I see the game is now over...

Game 6145235

I wonder if chuck hatfield even knows his option there. Recently, a 1600 player was asking about this rule.

P-
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 14:501 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    KD made a big mistake telling the problem with the game.

To handle this situation right, someone should first say, "Sorry, we are not able to comment on a game in progress".

Next, you may be able to say something like "Review ALL rules on chess and with luck you may find the problem".

Flat out saying that the problem is en passant is commenting on about a game, but now perhaps given to the player who might not know all the rules.

P-
    As for this situation, seems KD is giving advice to the opponant of the player asking questions about a game in progress... so an advantage is not given to the player asking about a game, but now perhaps given to the player who might not know all the rules.

First off I didn't give anyone advice in this Game. And whatever it seems to you no one got coached by me or was told were to move next by me or got some advantage in this game by me.

Yes maybe I should have just told him to read the rules of the Game and left it. But according to what you're saying here even to say that would be helping or cheating by referring them to the rules and telling them the answer to their question is there.
    And in NO way was I intending to help or coach or cheat someone in this game.
  14. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 15:392 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I see the game is now over...

Game 6145235

I wonder if chuck hatfield even knows his option there. Recently, a 1600 player was asking about this rule.

P-
    I wonder if chuck hatfield even knows his option there.

Well with all the advice and advantage you're claiming I gave him he sure should know.🙄
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 16:20
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    [b]I wonder if chuck hatfield even knows his option there.

Well with all the advice and advantage you're claiming I gave him he sure should know.🙄[/b]
    Only if he read this thread.

Do you know if he did? I doubt it, I see this user has never posted in the forums, so I doubt they read the forums.

Do you dispute what I've said about games in progress? What's with the spinning eyes face? Explain what's so kookie.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree