1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 09:061 edit
    We are considering introducing a quarterly subscription option. If you are not a subscriber, we would appreciate your feedback on this.

- I am happy with my current ad supported free membership.

- I would be interested in a quarterly membership, even if the total annual cost was slightly more.

- If I choose to subscribe, I would opt for the current annual subscription option

[vid]23[/vid]
  2. Centurion
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 09:32
    Good day

I would like to stress the fact that I am happy with displaying ads and having free description. I am definitely interested in subscribing, but I am not sure that I will stick to a maximum of 6 games. I know there is a self limit option. But since 6 games max is good for me, I might just as well have it for free and you make your money by displaying ads to me.

Kind regards
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 09:33
    Originally posted by Russ
    We are considering introducing a quarterly subscription option. If you are not a subscriber, we would appreciate your feedback on this.

- I would be interested in a quarterly membership, even if the total annual cost was slightly more.

- If I choose to subscribe, I would opt for the current annual subscription option

[vid]23[/vid]
    I voted c) but I think the more options the better.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 09:40
    Originally posted by Patriot
    Good day

I would like to stress the fact that I am happy with displaying ads and having free description. I am definitely interested in subscribing, but I am not sure that I will stick to a maximum of 6 games. I know there is a self limit option. But since 6 games max is good for me, I might just as well have it for free and you make your money by displaying ads to me.

Kind regards
    Thanks for the feedback - the free/ad supported option will always remain. We just ask that people don't use ad blocking software when using the site.
  5. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 10:21
    I'd like to see a reduced subscription aimed at the more casual chess player - ie: people that don't want to play 100's of consecutive games, play in the Clan leagues, Sieges, etc...

Something with the usual forum benefits (avatar, recommendations, aleerting posts, etc...), a slightly higher game limit (maybe 15 - 20) and the option to join or start 1 Clan.
  6. Standard membertopbloke1
    TOPBLOKE
    LONDON
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 10:25
    I would be intrested to know how much it would cost for a quartly subscription. I used to subscribe but my account lapsed. Please keep me updated.
  7. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 10:30
    I'd be much more interested in a one off lifetime membership fee.
  8. Joined
    23 Jul '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 10:42
    no need for quarterly sub.--though with recession it might make a difference to some people. i paid my annual sub. yesterday[20th.] to the 2 co. company. really love your site and think it`s great value at that price. don`t know how many long domestic nights have been lifted by `red hot pawn`!.
  9. Joined
    29 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 11:05
    Happy with current set up of ads between the games and keeping it free. You guys are doing excellent for ametuers/learners like me and I am sure if your site does not remanin free, you will lot of base (starters wanting to play free) which would probably impact your business coming in from ads. So please keep as it is.
  10. Joined
    23 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 11:52
    I am happy with the current situation. The ads are OK and not aggressive, and the site offers simple pages so one's attention is not disturbed during a game.
    I don't see advantages in subscribing, since I am not ready yet for tournaments and other stuff. Six games are more than enough for me.
    However if the ads become more intrusive, or additional constraints are applied, I may have to reevaluate the situation and compare RHP with other options out there.
    I would like also to express my satisfaction about the great quality of the site and the services available for non-subscribers. Thank you for these efforts.
    albertgn
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 11:59
    dude i totally had a subscription before.. im low on money .. plus i find i get better games when i only play six at a time
  12. Standard memberAqeuro
    Eco-scientist
    Pacific Paradise
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 12:02
    RHP,

I have sent numerous emails on this subject over the last year. (I believe) I have offered a far better idea on membership that could (a) make much more money for RHP, and (b) attract in many more players from other chess sites. Not one message has ever been acknowledged.

In any event, membership should not come at the cost of RHP's ad-revenue (are you completely inept?) Ads are a way of internet life. No-one minds RHP paying its costs this way.

Now, some bright-spark comes up with "quarterly subscriptions" - Wow! What did you pay for that novel gem? Please, forget about marketing and go back to maintaining a first-class chess site - apart from the perfect belligerence, it's really all you're good at.

(And yes, I'm still pissed that no-one bothered to reply)
    Aqeuro
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 12:04
    Originally posted by Russ

[vid]23[/vid]
    Like most responders here, I am happy enough with the current arrangement.
    There was a non-sub trial tournament some time ago, which I entered. Found myself with six parallel games (and IIRC eight to begin with, as I had some games running when the tournament began), instead of my usual three or four, and my attention plummeted, and naturally, so did my performance. And, unfortunately, my enjoyment. So I have no reason to get a subscription for the extra games.
    What's left? Clans, sieges, ladders, none of which I am missing with great sadness; forum avatars and titles and similar details, which would be amusing, but are hardly worth shedding a tear over; and vacations. Being able to plan a vacation would be nice, but up 'till now I've been able to do without. I plan mine quite a while in advance anyway, so I can plan my games around them.

What might tempt me is if the &*#^#& banks would not add a surcharge to international payments, so that if I pay by money order or cheque (no cc or paypal here, mate, and certainly not over the "trusted" net to the "trusted" old USofA), either I or RHP has to pay 30% of the subscription fee to what are, after all, legalised fraudsters. But I don't see that changing any time soon.
    Perhaps I'll drop a postal order in the mail next time I'm over in Blighty, but I've no idea when that will be.

Richard
  14. Joined
    05 Apr '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 12:18
    I could vote more intelligently if I knew what the proposed quarterly fee was going to be.
  15. Standard member8D
    Fixer
    Detroit
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 12:59
    I have no problem with the current fees.

I just did not sign back up to stop myself from playing 40-50 games per month.

I need to do other things and I have no self control.

I like only having 5 games per month.

How about having a fee that allows 10 active games going? Or 20 and then a higher fee for the unlimited? That seems like a good idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree