1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 13:31
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to vote and post comments. It is much appreciated.
  2. Joined
    09 May '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 13:32
    Originally posted by Russ
    We are considering introducing a quarterly subscription option. If you are not a subscriber, we would appreciate your feedback on this.

- I am happy with my current ad supported free membership.

- I would be interested in a quarterly membership, even if the total annual cost was slightly more.

- If I choose to subscribe, I would opt for the current annual subscription option

[vid]23[/vid]
    I had a yearly subscription before. I enjoyed being part of a clan, playing siege etc...
    But it gets too overwhelming quickly. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee to be able to join a clan (a private one that does not challenge any other clans). like 1 buck a year.
    We have lots of subscribers to redhotpawn at my company and we would like to play a private tournament.
  3. Joined
    07 Jul '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 13:49
    I believe that you need the yearly membership model, for you to have continued business.
    However I dont think I am buyer for the current price.

I would maybe go for a 3 or 5 year membership at the current price of 1 year membership. A quarterly membership is definitely a waste of time. Why would anyone do that?

Also, other playing online sites have grandmaster giving video tutorials and tons of news content as part of the membership package and I don't see anything like that here.
  4. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 14:41
    If subscribed I know I'd go over 300 as happen before... I don't mind the adds at all and am more than happy to keep my 6 games or less...will subscribe again when ready to take on the other benefits (opening practice, clubs and forums on particular openings-theories) ... price is good and worth it...

You may find that the actual attractive is the extra benefits once you get used to them... NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ADDS
  5. Joined
    17 Jul '10
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 15:05
    I agree with gaborbarla for price. there are some free chess website and I think current price is too high for subscribe services.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 15:10
    Originally posted by vaistro
    I'd be much more interested in a one off lifetime membership fee.
    Me too, but I think the price should be age related.
  7. Joined
    25 May '10
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 15:13
    i was to vote, however i didn't because none of the options fits to my opinion. surely i'm not 'happy' with ads that come with the free membership but i'm not going to ever pay for any web entertainment... on the other hand, always i like to be able to choose and in this case the more means the better. thus, although i'm not going to use it, i think that another paid option is quite good idea.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 15:21
    Originally posted by Russ
    Thanks for the feedback - the free/ad supported option will always remain. We just ask that people don't use ad blocking software when using the site.
    I use ad blocking software so I don't have to see the ads. It is called subscription.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 15:24
    Originally posted by gaborbarla
    I would maybe go for a 3 or 5 year membership at the current price of 1 year membership. A quarterly membership is definitely a waste of time. Why would anyone do that?
    I have the answer for this: To avoid the 6 games limit.

When your quarterly period is about to end, you start a massive amount of games. These you can end in due time, perhaps it will take six months to do that. Then you subscribe for another three month period. And when this period is about to end, you ...
  10. Joined
    03 Jan '09
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 16:17
    it is time for red hot pawn to introduce live chess.
  11. Roseburg, OR
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 16:538 edits
    I think the current fees are fine and I wouldn't subscribe for a quarterly fee when a year would be cheaper.

I think for some it might be ideal if they wanted just a short time on the site or didn't have the money for a longer subscription. But in the long run I think it would be a waste of time.

It has been said that the quarterly fee would avoid the six game limit, even though that is a true statement, the same can be said for a yearly membership which would still be cheaper.

Some like the six game limit with and the free membership. Those who don't, already have a subscription. Maybe a small monthly trial fee would be better instead of a quarterly fee for those who want to test the site to see if they want a longer subscription.

The ads are part of the way you maintain the site, a minor inconvenience at best. There are many chess sites on the internet, in my opinion, the top 5 are, Red Hot Pawn, Chess.com, Chess Here, Chess World.net, and GameKnot. All have ads for non-paying members with a game limitations. I would suggest that you look at each site and see what they offer the members for free, and, for a yearly subscription. Some offer a monthly fee as well, not all, and some are just overpriced for what they offer.
    I wish you luck in whatever you decide.
  12. Joined
    12 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 17:51
    I am also one who is a free user, but would not sign up quarterly.

A thought to consider: 90 days at a move per day means 45 moves of chess. So unless a game starts within the first few days of a membership, it will have a high probability of lasting longer than the subscription period. What is the situation then?
  13. Joined
    09 Mar '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 18:46
    the price to suscribe is to hight I suscribed at Plastic Bishop cause it was ten dollars a year and the only thing RHP offers more than PB is the live Blitz games, but that is not enoug for me to pay the Sixty dollars a year whats with that thats unreal.
  14. Joined
    10 Jun '10
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 18:51
    ..."We are considering introducing a quarterly subscription option. If you are not a subscriber, we would appreciate your feedback on this".
    What?!
    Please, I do live in a impoverished corner of the world! How I will manage to pay the fees?! By which mean?! Bank, Credit Card?! No, please!!!

Though, I am happy with my current ad supported free membership.

You're doing a philantropic job! Thank you indeed.
  15. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 20:09
    Stop automatic renewal of membership and I'll rejoin. This is a great site, but I'm not giving anybody permission to take money from my bank account in a year's time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree