1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    416032
    23 Dec '10 05:142 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Recently made my third subscription, it's a great site.

    I'd be interested in getting a better rate though, perhaps a loyalty scheme etc?

    Also a rhp version of the gbaway script (for subscribers use only) would be useful
    I think the rate is very good.

    They probably should be charging more here if anything!

    I hate to burst your bubble Pal, but I believe the gbaway script is also being used for you. 😛
  2. Santiago
    Joined
    06 Aug '04
    Moves
    233535
    24 Dec '10 02:16
    Originally posted by khawarizmi
    I had a yearly subscription before. I enjoyed being part of a clan, playing siege etc...
    But it gets too overwhelming quickly. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee to be able to join a clan (a private one that does not challenge any other clans). like 1 buck a year.
    We have lots of subscribers to redhotpawn at my company and we would like to play a private tournament.
    Can't you just set up a Club rather than a Clan. If your work colleagues are subscribers you can set up a tournament in the Club. All subscribers will be eligible.

    The purpose of Clans is to challenge other clans. You can't set up a tournament among clan members.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    416032
    24 Dec '10 04:02
    Originally posted by Hopster
    Can't you just set up a Club rather than a Clan. If your work colleagues are subscribers you can set up a tournament in the Club. All subscribers will be eligible.

    The purpose of Clans is to challenge other clans. You can't set up a tournament among clan members.
    Why can't you set up a tournament among clan members?
  4. SubscriberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Joined
    19 May '05
    Moves
    139162
    27 Dec '10 12:04
    Originally posted by Russ
    We are considering introducing a quarterly subscription option. If you are not a subscriber, we would appreciate your feedback on this.

    - I am happy with my current ad supported free membership.

    - I would be interested in a quarterly membership, even if the total annual cost was slightly more.

    - If I choose to subscribe, I would opt for the current annual subscription option

    Vote 23
    I can foresee possible problems with clan memberships with quarterly subscriptions.
  5. Joined
    23 Dec '10
    Moves
    648
    27 Dec '10 13:16
    someone else earlier in the thread was along the same lines as me, I had an account a few years back, paid subs (I think it was monthly subs or something similar then) and then RL kicked me in the face and I became homeless/jobless so the subscription wavered. only recently remembered about the site so thought I'd pop over and check and discovered yearly subscription or nothing at all. I like the site but despite having a full-time job I never seem to have the money spare for a subscription as I have a family to support and I'm the only 'breadwinner' in the family at present. a quarterly option would be good in my opinion. although I'll probably end up buying a yearly in a couple of months when i get my bonus to be honest.
  6. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    17848
    27 Dec '10 15:23
    Originally posted by LaverD
    someone else earlier in the thread was along the same lines as me, I had an account a few years back, paid subs (I think it was monthly subs or something similar then) and then RL kicked me in the face and I became homeless/jobless so the subscription wavered. only recently remembered about the site so thought I'd pop over and check and discovered yearly sub ...[text shortened]... 'll probably end up buying a yearly in a couple of months when i get my bonus to be honest.
    I've said it many times but $40 is a lot of money in some parts of the world and there are many members here representing such. In order to 'persuade' them to subscribe you have to make the payments low...and if that means month by month then so be it. Other members have concerns about such folk 'stacking up' games, getting say 100, and then letting their membership fall, only renewing when the need arose to stack yet more. I don't think it would be that hard to limit a partial annual membership, in any way thought appropriate...but surely the true means of persuading membership is finance and if money is forthcoming then any partial payment may persuade the owner to open up this route. Other annual subscribers may not be happy and may threaten closing their accounts...maybe there should be some benefit from paying the full subscription in comparison to those only partial, limited by whatever means. This is the case with the one off 'donation' subscriber from the instigation of the site, they still have adverts in place but have all the other benefits. Perhaps, in this case, a 'silver' and 'gold' etc membership could be considered with all the comparitive benefits listed ??
  7. SubscriberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Joined
    19 May '05
    Moves
    139162
    27 Dec '10 17:20
    I think a bi-annual subscription option is a better idea. Just my opinion.
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Joined
    04 Sep '04
    Moves
    245624
    27 Dec '10 18:10
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I don't think it would be that hard to limit a partial annual membership, in any way thought appropriate...
    Why should a partial annual membership be limited?

    You are either a member and enjoy the full rights of membership or you are not a full member.

    There should not be a halfway house.
  9. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    17848
    27 Dec '10 20:00
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Why should a partial annual membership be limited?

    You are either a member and enjoy the full rights of membership or you are not a full member.

    There should not be a halfway house.
    I did mention that there are many that feel 'they'll load up with games and then re subscribe when their gameload is running low'...effectively you could pay for 6mths a year and enjoy full subscriber benefits. How about those that subscribe on a 3 or 4mth system and immediately join a clan, take loads of challenges on but fail to pay for the rest of the year. They'll still be in the clan until there is an auto kick system..I can't remember the exact details but you recently mentioned the problems of clan members not renewing subscription but still playing and being allocated games ??
  10. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Joined
    04 Sep '04
    Moves
    245624
    27 Dec '10 21:24
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I did mention that there are many that feel 'they'll load up with games and then re subscribe when their gameload is running low'...effectively you could pay for 6mths a year and enjoy full subscriber benefits. How about those that subscribe on a 3 or 4mth system and immediately join a clan, take loads of challenges on but fail to pay for the rest of the ...[text shortened]... ms of clan members not renewing subscription but still playing and being allocated games ??
    A reason why members should be fully paid up.

    The site seems to be seeking more and more ways of membership subscriptions and failing to remove membership privileges from those that are no longer paying.

    Makes you wonder why we bother paying membership fees?

    This is probably one area where gameknot is far better organised, in that games are limited depending on your paid for membership. When a member fails to renew then they are unable to start/accept new games until they are back within the games allowed per their membership level.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '10
    Moves
    16357
    28 Dec '10 16:56
    Russ, A possible way to increase RHP revenue is to offer a "Premium" membership that would give such members extra features such as: a down-loadable database; colour options for the interface; a link to Chessbase programs that would automatcially safe the game to a selected database; more board and piece options; etc. = Mike
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    416032
    29 Dec '10 23:04
    Originally posted by adramforall
    A reason why members should be fully paid up.

    The site seems to be seeking more and more ways of membership subscriptions and failing to remove membership privileges from those that are no longer paying.

    Makes you wonder why we bother paying membership fees?

    This is probably one area where gameknot is far better organised, in that games are lim ...[text shortened]... start/accept new games until they are back within the games allowed per their membership level.
    What could be done is with quarterly membership, you would only be allowed a certain amount of games to play at a time.

    If someone has tons of games loaded up in a clan that they are playing out you know who is going to be first on the band-wagon crying about it....I'll be right behind you on that one. 😉
  13. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Joined
    08 Oct '09
    Moves
    29304
    12 Jan '11 16:35
    I do think the tiered sub model is effective- i.e. (using usd so feel free to convert to pounds/eur whatever)

    basic member 20 bucks a year- unlimited games.
    advanced member- join clans, clubs etc. 40 bucks a year (everything current except starting new clans/clubs
    premium member- ability to 1 button download your games, opponents/top player games- start clans/clubs, etc. 60 bucks.
  14. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    17848
    12 Jan '11 20:262 edits
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I do think the tiered sub model is effective- i.e. (using usd so feel free to convert to pounds/eur whatever)

    basic member 20 bucks a year- unlimited games.
    advanced member- join clans, clubs etc. 40 bucks a year (everything current except starting new clans/clubs
    premium member- ability to 1 button download your games, opponents/top player games- start clans/clubs, etc. 60 bucks.
    I think a good percentage of present members would opt your half price suggestion but this 'no clans' basic member option may have an impact upon many present clans and could present a lot of headaches with regard to ongoing clan challenges IF they are forced to leave. Presently the leader has to wait for all games to be completed before a member can be replaced.
    I rather feel though that options such as we've proposed ( basically a standard of membership that some of us have suggested here ) must be considered before the owners just make quarterly membership available...let's face it, if someone can just pay $15 for 3mths, have all the present benefits, but have no intention of paying further then he or she could just constantly abuse with massive gameloads...pay another $15 when their games drop below a certain level. Of course the owners could just ban such an individual after maybe the 3rd transgression BUT they've still paid into the all important kitty, $15 more than the present basic member, so would this happen, hmmm, I think so as other full paying subs would be just plain angry if constant abuses took place.
Back to Top