1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 17:381 edit
    2013 Poll (Red Hot Pawn Pluses and Minuses)

Features you and your friends like; and those you'd like to see. I, especially, appreciate the "Preview before post" Feature. Disclosure of Thumbs Liked and Disliked, similar to Facebook's hidden but cursor touch revealed identities would (not only be nice) but would in my view stimulate even livelier conversation, approximating face to face. Overall, chess.com and Gameknot don't even come close to RHP. (gb)
  2. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 18:26
    This is one of the most thoroughly thought out, most functional web experiences I have ever had. I am recommending this site to all I meet.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 18:33
    I like the clientele. Maybe chess is magic.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 21:52
    tinyurl.com/CrapForum
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 22:05
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]2013 Poll (Red Hot Pawn Pluses and Minuses)

Features you and your friends like; and those you'd like to see. I, especially, appreciate the "Preview before post" Feature. Disclosure of Thumbs Liked and Disliked, similar to Facebook's hidden but cursor touch revealed identities would (not only be nice) but would in my view stimulate even livelie ...[text shortened]... imating face to face. Overall, chess.com and Gameknot don't even come close to RHP. (gb)
    .[/b]
    Why are you so obsessed with the 'Thumbs' feature?

How would you knowing who has 'liked' and 'disliked' one of your posts "stimulate even livelier conversation"?
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 05:07
    Why are you so obsessed with his obsession?
  7. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 05:19
    like!
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 05:293 edits
    Originally posted by apathist
    Why are you so obsessed with his obsession?
    I have simply asked one question about it. I don't think that can be described as "obsessed". But I am fascinated by how anyone could become concerned by the 'Thumbs' feature on a forum like this one. Very few people use it compared to the number who could. I cannot see how any significant meaning could be attached to a few 'likes' and 'dislikes' registered in this way especially when people seem to express their conflict/support for each other so openly in their posts on this General Forum anyway. The suggestion that these 'Thumbs' being no longer anonymous would "stimulate even livelier conversation" is utterly baffling. And so that's why I asked.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 09:442 edits
    "Features you and your friends like; and those you'd like to see. I, especially, appreciate the "Preview before post" Feature. Disclosure of Thumbs Liked and Disliked, similar to Facebook's hidden but cursor touch revealed identities would (not only be nice) but would in my view stimulate even livelier conversation, approximating face to face. Overall, chess.com and Gameknot don't even come close to RHP."

Brief window before this eight year old laptop dies on me again. Service later today, I hope. Seems some incidental fog has rolled in on little ghost feet regarding the Facebook Feature in view. Their "Like" is the equivalent of our "Thumbs Up". It communicates a member's objective appreciation for the substance of the post (nothing whatever to do with the individual responsible for the post). FB's Features don't include "Thumbs Downing" as an option. Instead, individuals originally giving the post a "Like" may at any time reverse their decision. "Unlike" then appears in the small box beneath the content. Identities are open handedly shown. Why not? We're talking Friends-to-Friends. It works!

Apparently the site's, now, extraordinarily wealthy founders never considered any such Cloak & Dagger concealment as being in the overall best interest of its membership. The facinating and entertaining Hollywood Movie, "21", explores the founder's brilliant conceptual breakthroughs while at Harvard; his incredibly blunt confrontations with faculty and hostile attorneys; his trial launch of a brand new social networking system; and his own unconventional, somewhat nerdy weird social life within the fraternites.

He, himself, is presently available for routine communication by message. Sent him one, myself, the other day to express my thanks for the site and pleasure with the movie. Believe he's the youngest billionaire plus in the world as we speak. Net of it, why spawn negativity with secrecy? What do we gain by allowing posters the option of hiding? Wouldn't its elimination channel sentiments into the open light of day as posts to busy and enjoyable forum threads? Hope this helps. Sorry for the lengthy post but was pressed for time. (lol)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21_(2008_film)
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 10:19
    Wouldn't its elimination channel sentiments into the open light of day as posts to busy and enjoyable forum threads?
    When you say you think it would "stimulate even livelier conversation", are you hoping that this "livelier conversation" would be about who exactly has given what kinds of thumbs to whom? Is that what you mean?
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 11:44
    RHP and 21 are related? I give a thumb-waggle.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 13:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    When you say you think it would "stimulate even livelier conversation", are you hoping that this "livelier conversation" would be about who exactly has given what kinds of thumbs to whom? Is that what you mean?
    Not quite, much rather about the substance or lack of relevant substance of the post. See a movie you like, you let its identity be known to your friends. See one you don't like, you tell then to save their money. Take this thread, for example: it already reflects thirty one (31) thumbs to only ten posts. Seems to stand to reason that forty one posts or a factor of 4x for this and all other threads would increase member interest and participation; enliven these forums; and do wonders for the site's advertising revenues. (it's flashing, again
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 13:39
    Not quite, much rather about the substance or lack of relevant substance of the post. See a movie you like, you let its identity be known to your friends. See one you don't like, you tell then to save their money. Take this thread, for example: it already reflects thirty one (31) thumbs to only ten posts. Seems to stand to reason that forty one posts or ...[text shortened]... en these forums; and do wonders for the site's advertising revenues. (it's flashing, again
    You've dodged my question again. You said it would "stimulate even livelier conversation" if the 'Thumbs' were not anonymous. How so?

Let's say you started a thread about yourself and about your feelings when you get 'thumbs down'. And then let's say a few of the people here who don't like the way you start threads to talk about yourself because they find it dreary... let's say they give you 'thumbs down' for this latest thread of yours, and their names are visible. How would their names being visible "stimulate even livelier conversation" about you?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 14:241 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You've dodged my question again. You said it would "stimulate even livelier conversation" if the 'Thumbs' were not anonymous. How so?

Let's say you started a thread about yourself and about your feelings when you get 'thumbs down'. And then let's say a few of the people here who don't like the way you start threads to talk about yourself because they find How would their names being visible "stimulate even livelier conversation" about you?
    (updates and a second boot took, I hope) Unintentionally, FM. Am trying to reach you but the waves seem to be experiencing static. Here goes. Deterrent's the key. An awareness of butt nakedness would cause even the most belligerent coward to pause and thimk at least once in the life of any given thread. The pent up Pentium Energy must go somewhere. So, it seems within the realms that fewer thumbs might mean more mouths speaking unafraid. And enjoying the new green grass the way milk cows do in spring. Also seems that, within or without one of those cyberized realms, fewer bad boy thumbs and more replies might enhance the forum experience for those in need of a social fix or larf.[/ink]
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 14:56
    (updates and a second boot took, I hope) Unintentionally, FM. Am trying to reach you but the waves seem to be experiencing static. Here goes. Deterrent's the key. An awareness of butt nakedness would cause even the most belligerent coward to pause and thimk at least once in the life of any given thread. The pent up Pentium Energy must go somewhere. So, ...[text shortened]... replies might enhance the forum experience for those in need of a social fix or larf.[/ink]
    So basically you want to scare fellow posters into not giving your threads a thumbs down, the label of coward implies that there is something to be afraid of.

The whole point of a voting system, of which the thumbs button is rudimentary example, is that the views of the voters are expressed without fear of adverse repercussions. The best way to ensure this free expression is anonymity.

Only a dictator would favour any other system, the best way to deal with the systematic and therefor meaningless use of the thumb option is to ignore it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree