1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 16:33
    Now I would really like to know what difference any kind of life makes if there is no God. I don't know to start a new thread. Maybe, I'll just ask it here.

Now if God does not exist then what difference does it make that anyone lived, anything existed, how we behaved, what we "lived" for ?

Honestly. What difference does it make ?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 16:40
    Originally posted by sonship
    Now I would really like to know what difference any kind of life makes if there is no God. I don't know to start a new thread. Maybe, I'll just ask it here.

Now if God does not exist then what difference does it make that anyone lived, anything existed, how we behaved, what we "lived" for ?

"Meaning" is not to be found in eternity, but in the minutes and hours of every day life.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 16:40

The time is distant, distant into the future. The stars have all died out. The galaxies have expanded into the black of a cold dead universe. Nothing left but black holes, ashes, darkness spreading out forever.

Earth is long gone. Man and whatever evolved after man is long gone. Nothing but the cold blackness of empty nothingness as the cosmos spreads out into the frozen eternal night.

What difference does it make that you lived ?

What difference does it make how you lived ?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 16:42

Let me see....

How many people have lived and died?

How many of these people do we even remember?

When we die do we expect to be any different?

If we simply no long exist after we die, then our lives are little more than sand castles waiting for the tide to wash it away.

Even if you are remembered for something, how would you know? How would you benefit?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 16:431 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    "Meaning" is not to be found in eternity, but in the minutes and hours of every day life.

But in the end what difference did these few pretend meaningful minutes and hours mean ? They were just diversions. In the final analysis - "So What ? "

Now seems so meaningful to you. In the blackness of eternal frozen death what meaning did it have for you to pretend for a short moment that there was meaning ?
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 16:44
    Originally posted by rwingett
    After those minutes have passed, they mean nothing.

Your life is about as meaningful as a candle that is in the process of burning out. Once it is used up, what meaning does it have?

What benefit did the candle have in being consumed?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 16:511 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Let me see....

How many people have lived and died?

How many of these people do we even remember?

When we die do we expect to be any different?

If we simply no long exist after we die, then our lives are little more than sand castles waiting for the tide to wash it away.

Even if you are remembered for something, how would you know? How would you benefit?

Exactly. Since all will be forgotten, why should we care how we live now ?

If there is no God, no accountability, no reward, no punishment, no plan, no purpose, no memory, no hope ...

What meaning is there to life?

You have a few intelligent people typing away communicating over miles through technology questions of God and existence. And you have over in some barnyard a pig with seventeen or twenty flies buzzing around his sleepy muddy snoot.

What is the difference between the Internet talkers and the buzzing flies ? Both will die. Both will be no more. Both are freaks of nature and will dissolve back into the dust of this clod.

What meaning do the humans have over the flies ?
    What meaning do either ultimately have ?

All activity, all memory, all aspiration, all planning will melt into the blackness of absolute zero forever.

A lighter shade of pale.
    Waiting for Godot.
    Castles made of sand slip in the sea eventually.

What does it mean Eladar, without God ?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 17:011 edit
    After those minutes have passed, they mean nothing.

Your life is about as meaningful as a candle that is in the process of burning out. Once it is used up, what meaning does it have?

What benefit did the candle have in being consumed?

Why do they mean anything when they are passing if in a moment they will mean nothing ?

If before darkness and afterwards darkness, why not just remain in darkness ? Why was the candle lit ?

If we came from darkness and cannot but find our destiny in darkness, of what use is the lighting of the candle ?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 17:04

The Bible says over a dozen times in different ways that God or Christ will judge every man according to his deeds/works. What is your interpretation of the words 'every man'? Clearly for you it means 'some men'.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 17:10
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The Bible says over a dozen times in different ways that God or Christ will judge [b]every man according to his deeds/works. What is your interpretation of the words 'every man'? Clearly for you it means 'some men'.[/b]
    I think he means if you believe there is no God.

Yes, every man will be judged, but few will make it to heaven.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 17:132 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The Bible says over a dozen times in different ways that God or Christ will judge [b]every man according to his deeds/works. What is your interpretation of the words 'every man'? Clearly for you it means 'some men'.[/b]

I know what it says Rajk999. And this thread is not about "Once Saved Always Saved" and its debates.

I am asking the atheists who say God does not exist.
    This is their turn to convince me that without God's existence there is meaning to life.

We'll see how many pages we get up to until an atheist admits that there is no meaning to anything if God does not exist.

But they may come up with some meaning to the existence of the universe and life after all.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 17:20
    [b]The Bible says over a dozen times in different ways that God or Christ will judge [b]every man according to his deeds/works. What is your interpretation of the words 'every man'? Clearly for you it means 'some men'.[/b]

I know what it says Rajk999. And this thread is not about "Once Saved Always Saved" and its debates.

I am ...[text shortened]...

But they may come up with some meaning to the existence of the universe and life after all.[/b]
    You did not read the question.

God is going to judge every man including atheists. Atheists will be rewarded according to their works.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 17:21
    I think he means if you believe there is no God.

Yes, every man will be judged, but few will make it to heaven.
    Do you think that God will judge atheists? If yes then what will be done with them if a. good and b. bad.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 17:28
    The time is distant, distant into the future. The stars have all died out. The galaxies have expanded into the black of a cold dead universe. Nothing left but black holes, ashes, darkness spreading out forever.

Earth is long gone. Man and whatever evolved after man is long gone. Nothing but the cold blackness of empty nothingness as the cosmos spreads ou ...[text shortened]... t difference does it make that you lived ?

What difference does it make how you lived ?
    [/b]
    We make our own meaning, and our lives are temporary. We only matter for a short time, and only to a few people who happen to be involved with us. This is reality. You can either bemoan it or learn to accept it and make good use of the time you have.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '14 17:466 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    We make our own meaning, and our lives are temporary. We only matter for a short time, and only to a few people who happen to be involved with us. This is reality. You can either bemoan it or learn to accept it and make good use of the time you have.

Yes, SwissGambit, in a Godless existence we strive to make our own meaning.

Adolf Eichmann too ?
    Vlad the Impaler too ?
    Joseph Stalin too ?
    Emperor Caligula too ?
    The Spanish Conquistadors too ? (you thought I leave it out?)

Rather than sit around and bemoan any emptiness of life they certainly made use of their few short years to make their existence have purpose.

In the Nuremberg trials the condemned Eichmann, I believe, scoffed at his death sentence. He said he would jump into his grave laughing at what he was able to get away with.

Sure, we all can just do something to make our lives have meaning - including the carrying out of our crimes against other humans.

What difference does it make that there was a Big Bang or not a Big Bang ? Pol Pot and Socrates both will melt into the infinite dark expanse. Hugh Hefner and Florence Nightingale both will dissolve into sub zero ashes of a dead universe.

What meaning ultimately your few short moments of forced significance for which no final judgment awaits anyone.

No God, SwissGambit. No God at all. No God who cares. No God who calls to account. No God with no plan with no purpose with no goal.

We're just machines to propagate DNA ? For WHAT ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree