If no God - What Meaning ?

If no God - What Meaning ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
20 Jan 14

Originally posted by Eladar
Let me see....

How many people have lived and died?

How many of these people do we even remember?

When we die do we expect to be any different?

If we simply no long exist after we die, then our lives are little more than sand castles waiting for the tide to wash it away.

Even if you are remembered for something, how would you know? How would you benefit?
If we simply no long exist after we die, then our lives are little more than sand castles waiting for the tide to wash it away.

Sorry that you don't like the fact that we are impermanent beings, but it's a fact nonetheless. Best to make peace with it.

Moves
20 Jan 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
To separate the wheat from the chaff, righteous from unrighteous, what else?
why? why does the wheat need separating from the chaff?

Moves
20 Jan 14

Originally posted by sonship
[b]we may have cross wires here. i dont accept that the biblical portrayal of jesus is real. if i at least accept that a man named jesus walked around making the claims that the biblical jesus did. then i would make the psychological claims that i did.

Whoever made up the character then, we need to see if they came up with any other ...[text shortened]... rationalize Jesus as a hoax will eventually end up to be a nonsensical bundle of contradictions.[/b]
can you explain why krishna was made up? can you explain why buddha was made up? can you explain why zeus was made up? did the guy who invented valhalla write any other short stories?

again, you love the bible, it floats your boat. so you are all 'its soooo amazing, if it was made up then id like to see the other books the author wrote!!!' even if we accept the bizarre childish logic, we still have the problem that there are other books, other mythologies that claim truth. how did they spring into existence??? i for one would rather read the iliad any day of the week. where is the author of the illiads other books???

Moves
20 Jan 14

[b]we may have cross wires here. i dont accept that the biblical portrayal of jesus is real. if i at least accept that a man named jesus walked around making the claims that the biblical jesus did. then i would make the psychological claims that i did.

Whoever made up the character then, we need to see if they came up with any other ...[text shortened]... rationalize Jesus as a hoax will eventually end up to be a nonsensical bundle of contradictions.[/b]
what meaning does a dogs life have?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Jan 14

Now I would really like to know what difference any kind of life makes if there is no God. I don't know to start a new thread. Maybe, I'll just ask it here.

Now if God does not exist then what difference does it make that anyone lived, anything existed, how we behaved, what we "lived" for ?

Honestly. What difference does it make ?
Isn't this the theme of eccesiasties?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 Jan 14

I don't know about Caligula, but the other three were judged.

Remember, I said [b]perfect
judgment.

Granted, in this life many people were judged by society or human laws.
Some were well judged.
Some were falsely judged.
Man is imperfect, knows some of the facts, can be mistaken, can even be bribed or misjudge, or under jud ...[text shortened]... orld in the atoning death on behalf of all sinners in the Son of God.

[ a very short post ][/b]
Actually, in the post to which I replied, you said "unjudged".

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
21 Jan 14

Now I would really like to know what difference any kind of life makes if there is no God. I don't know to start a new thread. Maybe, I'll just ask it here.
Now if God does not exist then what difference does it make that anyone lived, anything existed, how we behaved, what we "lived" for ?
Honestly. What difference does it make ?
You have stated the reasons for inventing god(s).

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Jan 14

Originally posted by stellspalfie
why? why does the wheat need separating from the chaff?
chaff (noun)

1: the seed coverings and other debris separated from the seed in threshing grain

2: something comparatively worthless

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chaff

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Jan 14

Originally posted by stellspalfie
can you explain why krishna was made up? can you explain why buddha was made up? can you explain why zeus was made up? did the guy who invented valhalla write any other short stories?

again, you love the bible, it floats your boat. so you are all 'its soooo amazing, if it was made up then id like to see the other books the author wrote!!!' even if ...[text shortened]... uld rather read the iliad any day of the week. where is the author of the illiads other books???
I see no further use in trying to explain anything to someone as obstinate and willingly ignorant as you are.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Jan 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
I see no further use in trying to explain anything to someone as obstinate and willingly ignorant as you are.
That's harsh coming from you!
(Because when it comes to ignorance you really do know what you are talking about!)

Ro

Moves
21 Jan 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
I see no further use in you trying to explain anything to someone as obstinate and willingly ignorant as I am.
Fixed

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jan 14

Originally posted by caissad4
You have stated the reasons for inventing god(s).
If I have why should there be a need to invent gods ?

You see, often a need somewhere implies that there is some solution for that need.

Atheist's don't invent gods ? Look on the internet and see all the idols.
The "greatest" movie.
The "greatest" rock group.
The "greatest" athlete.

So many people are exulting things, places, people, sins, gods, material and artistic and philosophic things to be the "greatest". This is just an idolatry of sorts and inventing gods.

Man is hungry to exult and honor something as very high.
It doesn't impress me that much to point out that people invent gods.

Tell me why there should be a need to do so in the first place.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Jan 14
1 edit

You see, often a need somewhere implies that there is some solution for that need.

The "greatest" movie.
The "greatest" athlete.

So many people are exulting things, places, peopl ...[text shortened]... out that people invent gods.

As early man, we had no idea what caused lightning, earthquakes, floods, volcanoes, so they invented an explanation: A god is angry. Of course, there then was a god of lightning, a god of floods, a god of volcanoes and so forth.

Christianity is just one of many just like that. Inventing a god to be an eternal referent point, "look upon that god we just made up as if it were real, we will do what we think such a god would be like'. Which explains why your god was made in man's image. Even though it is written the other way round, it in fact was made in man's image because a real god could be anything from a universe sized oyster to a bonobo, but certainly not just happen to be looking like a man.

That is pretty ridiculous on the face of it.

It SCREAMS man made.

We invented gods to be able to project what something superior would be like.

Then make up stories designed to back up that invention.

It looks like mankind is so weak minded as to forever need such a crutch.

You can grouse all you want about no god no future or whatever.

It is ultimately up to us to decide what is right and wrong.

Inventing gods is one way to do that.

Ro

Moves
21 Jan 14

The "greatest" movie.
The "greatest" athlete.

So many people are exulting things, places, peopl ...[text shortened]... out that people invent gods.

Just a quick bump on my earlier question.

---------------

Ok. Let's try another tack.

Supposed I said that I derive all meaning in my life from the fact that I am the parent of my son. Everything I do in my life is simply a means to provide for him so that he can live as happy and fulfilled a life as possible.

This is not true, of course, but let's keep this simple.

Please explain precisely, and briefly, why, in the absence of God, this is not sufficient to provide meaning to my life?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Jan 14

Originally posted by Rank outsider
Just a quick bump on my earlier question.

---------------

Ok. Let's try another tack.

Supposed I said that I derive all meaning in my life from the fact that I am the parent of my son. Everything I do in my life is simply a means to provide for him so that he can live as happy and fulfilled a life as possible.

This is not true, of course, ...[text shortened]... , and briefly, why, in the absence of God, this is not sufficient to provide meaning to my life?
Don't worry, he WILL come up with what he thinks is a rational.