1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 16:33
    I've been brushed by death. Really. Due to personal reasons, I've spent months without end at a hospice ward, seeing people walking the last meters or actually passing, right next to me --I mean, in the next bed, in front of my eyes.

So, death has turned into a kind of non-subject for me, something which will happen with or without my consent, and a thing to be acknowledged calmly. Period. That is, until yesterday, when I had the terrible idea of watching actual footage of a police officer being shot. Nothing in camera, as the gun battle takes place outside the frame of the patrol's recorder, but you can hear the guy yelling in horror, feeling his eye has been gauged with a bullet, and you can then hear his last gasps.

Hair raising. I tell you. I have seen, smelled, heard and touched death before. However, for some reason, this particular video (a video!) shocked me profoundly. I don't know why. It's kind of confusing.

Has any of you experienced something like this? Thoughts?
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 19:17
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I've been brushed by death. Really. Due to personal reasons, I've spent months without end at a hospice ward, seeing people walking the last meters or actually passing, right next to me --I mean, in the next bed, in front of my eyes.

So, death has turned into a kind of non-subject for me, something which will happen with or without my consent, and a thing ...[text shortened]... t know why. It's kind of confusing.

My wife is a Dr. Med. They deal with death every day, but dealing with it is not actually part of their medical training. I don't think death and dying ever become routine for them. But they learn to distance themselves from it emotionally. It's the only way to survive in that profession; otherwise they'd be overwhelmed with grief.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 20:491 edit

So, death has turned into a kind of non-subject for me, something which will happen with or without my consent, and a thing ...[text shortened]... t know why. It's kind of confusing.

I've been close to death on a few occasions. Once I actually bled to death, and they brought me back. I won't get into what I experienced, but it changed my life. The other near deaths were sickness related and a different type of stress went with it. The first was sudden and drastic. The second type was prolonged and stress built up slowly.
    What gripes me is the way the health care system preps people for death or a loss like a limb, toe etc. They say you'll be okay etc and you can deal with it. I nearly lost a toe twice. I rejected the prep talk, told them BS! I don't fail at what I do, no matter what it is, and kept my toe PTL inspite of their considered opinion that it was too far gone to save.
  4. rebel city
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 20:541 edit

I have experienced death at the age of 24. I "died" for a few minutes, not sure how long. Wonderful feeling, can't explain but for someone like me who was never frightened of death before, that gave me confidence that the end is no end, on the contrary. πŸ™‚
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 21:07

This place has missed you Siete.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 21:49
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I doubt it, buddy, but appreciate your words.

After all, who can miss midget tranny chicano wrestlers? πŸ™‚
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 21:51

Very tall people. πŸ˜•
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 21:51
    Agree
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 12:511 edit
    Why do you call him "Seven"?

Seven what?

I mean it can't possibly be a typo, because most people at least try to have enough respect for a person to get their name right, even if it is just a nick on a website.
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 13:001 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Seven what?

I mean it can't possibly be a typo, because most people at least try to have enough respect for a person to get their name right, even if it is just a nick on a website.
    Seise must be outraged and sickened by such lack of respect.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 14:37

Last few years these forums have been completely boring and uneventful, tranny midget wrestler is just what the place needs πŸ˜€

big match tonight, hope Mexico can get the draw they need to advance... or a 5-0 win to top the group πŸ™‚
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 14:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Seven what?

Your uncultured ways are forgiven.
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 16:50
    Yeah! I am so looking forward to witnessing precisely that, mate. Viva football! πŸ™‚
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 16:50
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Seise must be outraged and sickened by such lack of respect.
    Indeed, I am surviving on Pepto Bismol since I read the comment 😡
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 01:08

I told my kids I'm not planning on attending my own funeral, so don't even think about turning it into any kind of expensive affair. Just remember that when you see me in an open casket, that's not really me... that's where I used to live, but I don't live there anymore.

And don't be sad about it for too long. It's never taken me a long time to get over someones death. It always make me stop and think about the reality of death, but death is something that happens to everyone no matter how much we jog or take vitamins or watch our weight or etc. etc. I've already lived longer than some of the people I've known who have never failed to take the opportunity to lecture me on the dangers of smoking and drinking coffee (coffee?) and eating meat and... the list goes on and on, and on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree