1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 06:17
    I saw a story about how were failing to report sexual abuse of children to authorities and claiming that they had that right. :'(
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 06:43
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I saw a story about how were failing to report sexual abuse of children to authorities and claiming that they had that right. :'(
    I doubt that.
    Got a link?

I reckon every religious sect has its skeletons in the cupboard. Sexual abuse
    is virtually inevitable when you construct absolute power within groups. But
    I seriously doubt that the JWs (or anyone) would claim any right to withhold info.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 07:20
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I doubt that.
    Got a link?

I reckon every religious sect has its skeletons in the cupboard. Sexual abuse
    is virtually inevitable when you construct absolute power within groups. But
    I seriously doubt that the JWs (or anyone) would claim any right to withhold info.
    It was on the PBS here in the US. I am sure it would be found on their website. It ran on Feb 16, 2015. I watched it on TV.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 07:39
    This Thread 148246 was interesting; about page 13 onwards.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 08:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    This Thread 148246 was interesting; about page 13 onwards.
    perhaps you will also resonate with laughter at this accusation of child abuse as well.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 09:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    perhaps you will also resonate with laughter at this accusation of child abuse as well.
    The thread I gave a link to demonstrates the lengths to which a supporter or member of an organisation will resort to in order to defend or cover up the deeds of their organisation. If small fry members engage in such partisan behaviour unprompted, one wonders what managers and leaders will resort to if they feel their organisation is threatened.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 10:05
    It is not an accusation of child abuse (that that took place is established fact accepted by all parties). It is an accusation of covering up child abuse - and further, an accusation of claiming that they have a right to cover up child abuse.
    Many large organizations including religious and educational ones have been guilty of covering up child abuse in the past. The question is when is it acceptable to cover it up.
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 12:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    The thread I gave a link to demonstrates the lengths to which a supporter or member of an organisation will resort to in order to defend or cover up the deeds of their organisation. If small fry members engage in such partisan behaviour unprompted, one wonders what managers and leaders will resort to if they feel their organisation is threatened.
    Could this be a sub set of Cognitive Dissonance?
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 16:07
    Could you imagine the Lord's judgment on the people who weren't involved in the act but knew about it!
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 16:13
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Could you imagine the Lord's judgment on the people who weren't involved in the act but knew about it!
    Fortunately no such lord exists to bother humans so we can all breath a sigh of relief.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 17:21
    The Jehovah's Witness organisation (like other religious organisations) has a well documented history of child abuse and of giving the appearance covering it up.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 06:15
    It was on the PBS here in the US. I am sure it would be found on their website. It ran on Feb 16, 2015. I watched it on TV.
    I found the link for you.

The report is entitled "Did leaders of Jehovah’s Witnesses cover up child sex abuse?" in other words an accusation - not fact.

It's about a woman suing the JWs for covering up her abuse. Still in court.
    And presumably that will be a civil court where standards of guilt are far less.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 06:16
    No you didn't.

You saw a story about a woman who was claiming that.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 07:002 edits
    No you didn't.

You saw a story about a woman who was claiming that.
    The link you gave shows JW lawyers claiming first amendment rights to keep child abuse cases secret. So the OP is accurate.

It also shows a JW member stating that another JW member confessed to committing child abuse. He did not report it to the police - nor was the congregation told.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 07:10
    It's about a woman suing the JWs for covering up her abuse. Still in court.
    Watch the whole thing.
    The court case is over, and found in favor of the woman regarding covering up her abuse. On the other hand the court found in favor of the JW organization regarding not publicizing the previous incident.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree