The Dangers of Following Theory.

The Dangers of Following Theory.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e4

Moves
04 Mar 15

Nice kick off from Assiac showing a Queen trap
that has caught a surpring number of RHP players.

Deep Thought joins us - and wishes he hadn't. 🙂

Him follow theory for 11 moves and then taking over is this week's lesson.

Plus the usual Horror Show from the RHP Vaults of Despair.

Blog 4

e4

Moves
05 Mar 15

Damn! forgot to say thanks to Deep Thought for supplying the inspiring game.

Thank you Deep Thought.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
05 Mar 15

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Damn! forgot to say thanks to Deep Thought for supplying the inspiring game.

Thank you Deep Thought.
Thanks for writing the blog - they're always good to read and and it's nice to know I'm not the first person to do that - except in the Odeh - Moloney game, it went 11. ... Be7 12. Bxf6 Bxf6 13. Qe4.

Credit to houthakker for spotting the problem, plenty of players would have let me off the hook.

I think the reason TheSlayer01 went wrong on 12 moves is that some of the online databases restrict openings to that depth for non-subscribers. So anyone using them for free becomes vulnerable at that stage.

e4

Moves
05 Mar 15

Hi Deep Thought

You may be onto to something there, if I recall chessgames.com stop after
so many moves and say 'that's it - now pay.'

It best to go to your local book shop and rip out the page you need!

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
14 Mar 15
1 edit

Nice kick off from Assiac showing a Queen trap
that has caught a surpring number of RHP players.

Deep Thought joins us - and wishes he hadn't. 🙂

Him follow theory for 11 moves and then taking over is this week's lesson.

Plus the usual Horror Show from the RHP Vaults of Despair.

Blog 4
And all this time I thought "Assiac" was someone obsessed with... never mind.

Edit: and I am not touching the "queen trap".

e4

Moves
15 Mar 15

Posted in the comments box.

White to play and save the game

rc

Moves
16 Mar 15

post the solution for this its driving me nuts

DF

Moves
16 Mar 15

I'll give you a clue:

A queen can't checkmate a king on its own

rc

Moves
16 Mar 15

Originally posted by Data Fly
I'll give you a clue: [hidden]A queen can't checkmate a king on its own[/hidden]
ok, i was looking at stalemate possibilities

Milwaukee, WI

Moves
16 Mar 15
1 edit

Posted in the comments box.

[fen]8/3pk3/4p1bB/4Pp2/p4Pp1/6P1/3[P1K1P/8[/fen]
White to play and save the game
Just glancing at it but what's to prevent Black from playing d6, followed by Kd7, then Be8 to keep a possible White passer under watch and then walking the King up to help mate?

i

Moves
16 Mar 15
2 edits

Originally posted by Bebop5
Just glancing at it but what's to prevent Black from playing d6, followed by Kd7, then Be8 to keep a possible White passer under watch and then walking the King up to help mate?
First white plays 1.Bg5+ so blacks king cant support a d6 push. Besides that, d6 ...exd6 opens up the diagonal so the bishop can stop the pawn. So black tries to queen first but white is just in time to push his pawn to d6 before black has a chance.

s

Moves
16 Mar 15

Houdini insists that wh is 9 up but doesn't realise its a =

DF

Moves
16 Mar 15

Originally posted by sigrun
Houdini insists that wh is 9 up but doesn't realise its a =
I've just mucked it up against an engine by accidentally moving my king between g2 and f2 - the engine played Qh1 and took my h-pawn! White needs to move his king to g2 and then waste moves with his bishop instead.

i

Moves
16 Mar 15
4 edits

Originally posted by Data Fly
I've just mucked it up against an engine by accidentally moving my king between g2 and f2 - the engine played Qh1 and took my h-pawn! White needs to move his king to g2 and then waste moves with his bishop instead.
Can't you just plop the bishop on h4 and let the king wander to his heart's content? Edit: well not too much to his content as black can sac the queen for the bishop. Edit2: but does that even work if whites king stays close enough? Wow more to this position than at first glance.

The engine would probably beat me if it played exd5 instead of letting the pawn make it to d6. I realize that lets the bishop stop the outside passer and is theoretically drawn but it's not so clear to how white immediately sets up a dark square blockade in my eyes. I'm also prone to seeing ghosts more often when playing against am engine.

DF

Moves
16 Mar 15

Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
Can't you just plop the bishop on h4 and let the king wander to his heart's content? Edit: well not too much to his content as black can sac the queen for the bishop. Edit2: but does that even work if whites king stays close enough? Wow more to this position than at first glance.
If White allows Black to sac his queen for the bishop then the win is trivial. e.g.