1. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 08:24
    I am not a great soccer (football) enthusiast, but I do watch it from time to time. What I have noticed too often is that every other minute, there is a player down on the field with such agony and pain, until the referee makes the call.....and then amazingly, the injured player gets up, with no problem, and continues play. It is utterly disgusting.

In America, with the NBA, they have enforced anti-flopping rules to deter the grossly embarrassing play of purposely attracting the attention of refs, instead of actually playing real defense.

Is anyone else disgusted by watching these players drop to the grass every other minute with the hope of a ref calling foul play? I am asking on this forum because there are many countries represented here who may have something to contribute. It is sad, because while soccer players may be great athletes, they seem more concerned with faking an injury to a ref, than actually playing soccer, or defending.

Any thoughts?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 13:50
    Originally posted by chaney3
    I am not a great soccer (football) enthusiast, but I do watch it from time to time. What I have noticed too often is that every other minute, there is a player down on the field with such agony and pain, until the referee makes the call.....and then amazingly, the injured player gets up, with no problem, and continues play. It is utterly disgusting.

In ...[text shortened]... ned with faking an injury to a ref, than actually playing soccer, or defending.

Any thoughts?
    Yes, 'diving' is a real problem in football. (Sorry, can't bring myself to say soccer) although my pet hate is 'shirt tugging' especially in set pieces like corners.

It drives me to chocolate.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 14:061 edit

In ...[text shortened]... ned with faking an injury to a ref, than actually playing soccer, or defending.

Any thoughts?
    try this experiment...

step 1 - get a friend to put on some football boots.

step 2 - get friend to stand 10 metres away.

step 3 - get friend to sprint towards you.

step 4 - get friend to kick you in the ankle.

step 5 - try not to roll around on the floor like it really fkg hurts.

step 6 - time how long it takes before you can stand up and run around,
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 01:581 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    try this experiment...

step 1 - get a friend to put on some football boots.

step 2 - get friend to stand 10 metres away.

step 3 - get friend to sprint towards you.

step 4 - get friend to kick you in the ankle.

step 5 - try not to roll around on the floor like it really fkg hurts.

step 6 - time how long it takes before you can stand up and run around,
    I will refrain from calling you an a-hole for your sarcasm.....actually, I can do that still because it's not August yet. 😉

Listen, I understand that it must hurt badly to get kicked in the ankle...but, what I am referring to is the blatant 'flopping' or 'diving' when the numerous replays show that the player was not even touched. He is merely falling to the ground in hopes of getting the ref's attention. It is disgusting. They do it all the time, and your analysis of getting kicked in the ankle is somewhat ridiculous......a-hole. Lol. (Joke)

I have recently started to watch ice hockey, and these animals do nothing at ALL close to flopping, they thrive on playing the sport, and NEVER fake an injury to get a ref's call.

But....maybe you can enlighten me. From my perspective.....soccer/football players are girls who want a penalty called, and will shamefully fall to the ground without any contact whatsoever, and it is disgusting to watch. They all act like girls....which is a shame, because they are probably good athletes, but it is wasted on 'acting' for the ref.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 02:28
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Yes, 'diving' is a real problem in football. (Sorry, can't bring myself to say soccer) although my pet hate is 'shirt tugging' especially in set pieces like corners.

It drives me to chocolate.
    Hey Ghost. So, you agree that 'diving' is a real problem. I am not familiar with the 'shirt tugging'. Either way, when I watch any sport, any, I want to see the athletes compete. I do NOT want to see an acting show to get the refs attention, which is why the NBA created the 'no flopping' rule. It has made basketball much better to watch, and I think that soccer/football should do the same. End the charade of 'false injury'.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 03:07
    C'mon people.....chime in. This sports forum gets NO attention. I am interested in the views of the 'English' on this matter, because they love their football.....soccer.

Truth be told, the Americans can kick the English butts in soccer anyway, lol.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 06:46

Truth be told, the Americans can kick the English butts in soccer anyway, lol.
    Please provide examples.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 10:25
    I will refrain from calling you an a-hole for your sarcasm.....actually, I can do that still because it's not August yet. 😉

Listen, I understand that it must hurt badly to get kicked in the ankle...but, what I am referring to is the blatant 'flopping' or 'diving' when the numerous replays show that the player was not even touched. He is merely falling ...[text shortened]... h is a shame, because they are probably good athletes, but it is wasted on 'acting' for the ref.
    okay, ill give you a serious answer.....there is an issue with diving in football, however its nowhere near as common as you make out. depending on which league you are watching the levels will vary slightly. i would be surprised if witnessed more than one non-contact dive per game.
    as for dealing with the problem, referees have the power to issue yellow cards and even red (two yellows) for diving. this is enforced quite strongly in the english premier league.

"maybe you can enlighten me"

heres some enlightenment ..... its not cool to use such negative language about girls.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 17:49
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Please provide examples.
    Lol, lol. As always Ghost, very funny. I cannot provide examples, and was just taking a shot at the English. Busted, lol.

On a different note.....I have watched Wimbledon for over 30 years, and love the tournament. Why is it that your country cannot provide some players to have a real chance to win at Wimbledon? Andy Murray aside, your country just seems to have no chance of winning their OWN tournament. More than the other majors, I love the heritage of Wimbledon, and it would be nice to see that England make some effort to groom some players to at least give England a chance.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 17:54

Listen, I understand that it must hurt badly to get kicked in the ankle...but, what I am referring to is the blatant 'flopping' or 'diving' when the numerous replays show that the player was not even touched. He is merely falling ...[text shortened]... h is a shame, because they are probably good athletes, but it is wasted on 'acting' for the ref.
    Players dive in the NHL too, but since they made diving a penalty (unsportsmanlike conduct), it's much less common.

I did also notice that soccer players who look like they need a stretcher one minute are running full speed the next. And for what? All they get is a free kick, which is only marginally better than not having one. It's not like they're getting a power play. Maybe diving is just an efficient way to get a 30 second breather.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 17:56
    okay, ill give you a serious answer.....there is an issue with diving in football, however its nowhere near as common as you make out. depending on which league you are watching the levels will vary slightly. i would be surprised if witnessed more than one non-contact dive per game.
    as for dealing with the problem, referees have the power to issue yel ...[text shortened]... "

heres some enlightenment ..... its not cool to use such negative language about girls.[/b]
    I would not use negative language about girls or women. My comments about soccer/football players acting like girls was meant as a mock against the disgusting and feminine actions of male players who are more interested in acting for the refs, than actually playing the sport.

That aside, I was not aware that refs have the power to give yellow or red cards to these 'floppers/divers'. My question to you would be this: Do you think that over some time, that players will stop diving? As I brought up the NBA giving out fines of 5,000 dollars per flopping penalty, the act of flopping has pretty much disappeared in basketball, making it a good sport to watch again. The players actually play defense now, and don't try to be actors for the ref.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 18:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    Players dive in the NHL too, but since they made diving a penalty (unsportsmanlike conduct), it's much less common.

I did also notice that soccer players who look like they need a stretcher one minute are running full speed the next. And for what? All they get is a free kick, which is only marginally better than not having one. It's not like they're getting a power play. Maybe diving is just an efficient way to get a 30 second breather.
    Yes, that was my whole point of this thread. I must admit that I ONLY watch soccer when nothing, nothing else is on TV. And all I see is 'men' constantly on the ground, moaning is pain.....every other minute. Now.....I have been told that it hurts greatly to get kicked in the ankle, and I don't doubt that for a second. But, with instant replay these days, it is clear and evident, that most 'dives' involve NO contact whatsoever, and are shameful to watch.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 20:45
    I would not use negative language about girls or women. My comments about soccer/football players acting like girls was meant as a mock against the disgusting and feminine actions of male players who are more interested in acting for the refs, than actually playing the sport.

That aside, I was not aware that refs have the power to give yellow or red card ...[text shortened]... to watch again. The players actually play defense now, and don't try to be actors for the ref.
    its a little more complicated for football as there are so many different nations and cultures that each take a different approach to the game. in some countries diving, although against the rules is part of the culture, the tricky striker out whiting the defender and ref is applauded, just as the clever defender pulling shirts, leaving his studs in and elbowing the little striker is also applauded.
    to have a universal effect all countries would have to treat diving in the same way.

personally, although i dont like it when it happens i wouldnt want to completely see it gone, i enjoy the controversy, it creates drama, good guys and bad guys. i wouldnt want the game to become robotic. its why im against refs having the option to use cameras and replays. its all part of the game as far as im concerned.

what are the feminine actions of the male players?
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 20:511 edit
    Originally posted by sh76

It's not like they're getting a power play. Maybe diving is just an efficient way to get a 30 second breather.

its a good point, players will exaggerate a foul and dive to give the team a short breather. it can also be used to break momentum, if the opposition are on top and their game is flowing, breaking the play can help the game become disjointed and stop their momentum. something tennis players do in most games.

i dont know much about the nba but ive been told that there is a problem with players abusing the double dribble rule to their advantage.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 21:01
    its a little more complicated for football as there are so many different nations and cultures that each take a different approach to the game. in some countries diving, although against the rules is part of the culture, the tricky striker out whiting the defender and ref is applauded, just as the clever defender pulling shirts, leaving his studs in and ...[text shortened]... part of the game as far as im concerned.

what are the feminine actions of the male players?
    The male players of soccer/football act like feminine girls. They exist to merely to drop and fall with no contact and scream like a little girl to the ref, and play no defense.....or soccer. That is my point. Soccer players are feminine girls who spend hours to act hurt for the refs, than actually play soccer.

Why do I NOT watch soccer? Because it is disgusting to watch 'men' (gays) fall to the ground every other minute for a ref's call, instead of playing soccer. If they are athletes, it is SO LOST on their crying, and faking injury. Soccer is a disgusting sport to watch. They are gay men who would rather get ref's calls, then to play soccer. I have seen this in the English Premiere League as well. Fake injury, acting, and fake pain. These 'soccer players', are not athletes, just mere actors, and have NO respect from me. Soccer is disgusting to watch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree