1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 22:18
    Where are all of the English wussies to respond to this? Most Americans will agree that the English are inferior to the Americans.....but.....sheesh, I just want some soccer comments.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 07:04
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Where are all of the English wussies to respond to this? Most Americans will agree that the English are inferior to the Americans.....but.....sheesh, I just want some soccer comments.
    Perhaps tomorrow sir, when you have a clear head.

😉
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 13:33
    The male players of soccer/football act like feminine girls. They exist to merely to drop and fall with no contact and scream like a little girl to the ref, and play no defense.....or soccer. That is my point. Soccer players are feminine girls who spend hours to act hurt for the refs, than actually play soccer.

Why do I NOT watch soccer? Because it is ...[text shortened]... are not athletes, just mere actors, and have NO respect from me. Soccer is disgusting to watch.
    wow, homophobic and sexist. you sure seem like a nice guy.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 17:301 edit
    The male players of soccer/football act like feminine girls. They exist to merely to drop and fall with no contact and scream like a little girl to the ref, and play no defense.....or soccer. That is my point. Soccer players are feminine girls who spend hours to act hurt for the refs, than actually play soccer.

Why do I NOT watch soccer? Because it is ...[text shortened]... are not athletes, just mere actors, and have NO respect from me. Soccer is disgusting to watch.
    It sounds like you might be just trolling. But in case you're not:

Soccer is a tough sport to play and you have to be in amazing shape (unlike the American sports) to compete.

While I can't say I'm a huge fan, I'll watch the world cup and I did watch some premier league in the Spring on NBCSN and I found the drama interesting. (Paradoxically, I can't at all get into the American MLS for some reason - it just feels too much like the minor leagues.) I don't like that the premier league has no playoffs, however.

My biggest problem with soccer is that there's just not enough scoring to make every minute of the game compelling. Watching the action, you just know in the back of your mind that most of whatever is going on will amount to nothing. If they lick that problem, I'd be much more interested in the sport.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 18:17
    Originally posted by sh76

Soccer is a tough sport to play and you have to be in amazing shape (unlike the American sports) to compete.

While I can't say I'm a huge fan, I'll watch the world cup and I did watch some premier league in the Spring on NBCSN and I found the drama interesting. (Paradoxically, I can't at a ...[text shortened]... on will amount to nothing. If they lick that problem, I'd be much more interested in the sport.
    Do you mean play offs for relegation from the Premiership?

I suspect that many Americans struggle with 'soccer' as a lot of their own sports deliver instant gratification (by which i means lots of high action and scoring, such in basketball or ice hockey). Culturally, for example, they may struggle to enjoy a soccer game that ends 0-0, while someone brought up with soccer may still appreciate it for different reasons.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 21:11

While I can't say I'm a huge fan, I'll watch the world cup and I did watch some premier league in the Spring on NBCSN and I found the drama interesting. (Paradoxically, I can't at a ...[text shortened]... on will amount to nothing. If they lick that problem, I'd be much more interested in the sport.
    on average there are about 5 touchdowns per game. the premier league average is about 3 goals per game. not a huge difference. just as most moments in a soccer game do not amount to a goal, the same could be argued about a.football and ice hockey.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 21:24
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    on average there are about 5 touchdowns per game. the premier league average is about 3 goals per game. not a huge difference. just as most moments in a soccer game do not amount to a goal, the same could be argued about a.football and ice hockey.
    My point was not to criticize soccer/football for the amount of goals scored. If these 'men' played the entire game with the sole purpose of actually playing the sport, then.....the amount of goals scored is not a topic of discussion.

My issue is with these 'men' just flopping and diving around the field to get sympathy from the refs....which is disgusting.....and, a real football fan would NOT defend this action. If an Englishman started a thread about how the NBA players used to flop for the refs, as an American, I could only agree with you......and would not try to defend them.

I want to see these soccer/football players....actually play the entire game, without 'acting hurt' to the refs, and actually play the sport. Regardless of the score, or how many goals are scored, it would be nice to see a game where they actually play their hearts out, instead of acting hurt all the time.

It is really not that complicated, and I already see that Englishmen will try to defend these soccer players, even though their actions are wrong for the sport.
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 07:231 edit
    C'mon people.....chime in. This sports forum gets NO attention. I am interested in the views of the 'English' on this matter, because they love their football.....soccer.

Truth be told, the Americans can kick the English butts in soccer anyway, lol.
    To my European friends out there. I must once again apologize on behalf of my arrogant and misguided fellow American. Though I agree with his views regarding the unnecessary faking of injuries in soccer matches, his statement regarding American superiority in soccer is not only incorrect, but reflects an all to common poor attitude many American's display to others in the world. I do watch soccer on occasion, and found that English teams are generally superior to American teams, and (with the exception of the Williams sisters) the same can be said for tennis and golf as well. I assure you this arrogance is not the opinion of all American's, but it's clear that many of those in the USA have a great deal to learn about how to relate to others.🙂
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 11:29
    Originally posted by bill718
    To my European friends out there. I must once again apologize on behalf of my arrogant and misguided fellow American. Though I agree with his views regarding the unnecessary faking of injuries in soccer matches, his statement regarding American superiority in soccer is not only incorrect, but reflects an all to common poor attitude many American's display to ...[text shortened]... clear that many of those in the USA have a great deal to learn about how to relate to others.🙂
    Thanks Bill. You American chaps excel in many other sports. (And even in soccer have closed the gap significantly in the last few years).
  10. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 15:28
    I for one hope football ( soccer ) doesn't take off in the USA .
    You (the U,S) will try to turn it into a circus like all of your other silly games that none of the world are interested in .
    The English are inferior to Americans when it comes to who has the loudest mouth and the biggest head but hey, no one has captured are parliament and burnt it down while the army ran away to leave our prime minister's wife to gather what valuables she could.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 21:22
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Do you mean play offs for relegation from the Premiership?

I suspect that many Americans struggle with 'soccer' as a lot of their own sports deliver instant gratification (by which i means lots of high action and scoring, such in basketball or ice hockey). Culturally, for example, they may struggle to enjoy a soccer game that ends 0-0, while someone brought up with soccer may still appreciate it for different reasons.
    By playoffs, I mean a post season tournament to determine a champion. Maybe you have a different name for it. In the US, every major sport has one.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 21:361 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    Hockey has a similar issue to soccer, yes. But at least there's somewhat more scoring and there's much more action around the net. Action around the net is inherently more interesting than action in the middle of the pitch because the point of the game is to put the ball in the net.

Regarding the NFL, yes, there are not that many scores (though more than 5 per game, counting field goals), but every play is progress in one direction or another. Either you gain yards towards a first down or lose a down towards having to punt. It's much different than the goal sports wherein a play is essentially irrelevant in the grand scheme of things if the ball/puck doesn't end up in the net.

Another thing that's frustrating about hockey and soccer is watching a game in which your team is behind. Your team could be playing great, but it's so difficult to put the ball.puck in the net that there's just not as much anticipation. If you're down by a goal in the last minutes, everyone know you're probably going to lose. In the NFL, if your team has possession of the ball, your destiny is in your own hands. Unless they stop you on downs or through a turnover, your team will score. I know this is a subtle difference and maybe I'm not explaining it well, but that's why, though I'm a huge NHL fan, there's no way the last 2 minutes of an NHL game can be compared to the last 2 of an NFL game.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '15 01:59
    Hey....you guys are not gonna believe this. I just watched a match between Arsenal and Chelsea. Only 15 minutes into the game, there were guys pulling shirts, falling down unhurt, and some guys running around pinching the 'bums' of other players. It was unbelievable. I looked closer, and saw the ball near the middle of the field, untouched, and idle. Everybody was too busy acting hurt, or getting their 'bums' pinched.

When the refs finally cleared all this up, the game went on.....and after another 70 minutes or so....the game was tied at 0-0. Some players visited the medic after the game with bruises on their 'bottoms' from pinching. It was very bizarre!!!

Did anyone else see this game?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Aug '15 06:58
    Hey....you guys are not gonna believe this. I just watched a match between Arsenal and Chelsea. Only 15 minutes into the game, there were guys pulling shirts, falling down unhurt, and some guys running around pinching the 'bums' of other players. It was unbelievable. I looked closer, and saw the ball near the middle of the field, untouched, and idle. Ev ...[text shortened]... ises on their 'bottoms' from pinching. It was very bizarre!!!

Did anyone else see this game?
    Are you sure you didn't dream it?

(*Arsenal actually scored after 24 minutes and went on to win the game).
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Aug '15 07:00
    By playoffs, I mean a post season tournament to determine a champion. Maybe you have a different name for it. In the US, every major sport has one.
    The closest we have is the Community Shield. (Winner of the FA cup playing the winner of the Premiership).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree