1. Joined
    14 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 17:03
    I see that the Wales Flag and the Scotland flag can be taken in the profile member. My question is, why it is not the same with the Quebec flag? We are a distinct nation as I know, and we are trying since so many years to be separated of the imposed annexion of Canada (like Wales and Scotland). Even if Canada is a great country, for a majority of quebequers, we aren't canadian (not the same culture, language (french), political ideas, etc.). So if its possible to add the Quebec flag in this site, you'll make Quebequers chess players happy! Hoping that someone will read that...haha
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 18:01
    Quebec's a province, not a country.
    If you get one for Quebec, then I want one for my town/county too.
    And so will thousands of other people.....therefore I wouldn't think you have much of a chance.
  3. Joined
    14 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 21:28
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Quebec's a province, not a country.
    If you get one for Quebec, then I want one for my town/county too.
    And so will thousands of other people.....therefore I wouldn't think you have much of a chance.
    Yeah sure, it is still a province for the moment, like Wales and Scotland who have their own flags on this site. However, I don't want to debate here about the future of this nation, it's not the place. This is only a suggestion for helping the site in his democratization of the nations represented.
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 22:401 edit
    Surely the people who believe Quebec is a nation and not a province should have a suitable flag.
    Ditto the Basque country etc etc.
    It is just about giving people the option.
  5. Montréal
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 22:48
    I second that idea.
  6. The Great North
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 00:07
    Originally posted by sebistrike
    I see that the Wales Flag and the Scotland flag can be taken in the profile member. My question is, why it is not the same with the Quebec flag? We are a distinct nation as I know, and we are trying since so many years to be separated of the imposed annexion of Canada (like Wales and Scotland). Even if Canada is a great country, for a majority of quebeque ...[text shortened]... is site, you'll make Quebequers chess players happy! Hoping that someone will read that...haha
    1) Because You are clearly not distinct enough if your "country" has tried to seperate, oh..lets see...3 times is it now? and still ahvent found the guts to do it.
    2) the maritimes are just as distinct as Quebec and I feel that(from my experiencs) they speak more french then Quebec. They should get a flag 1st.
    3)Quebequers will never be happy.
  7. Montréal
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 00:252 edits
    Originally posted by AlpineXazax
    1) Because You are clearly not distinct enough if your "country" has tried to seperate, oh..lets see...3 times is it now? and still ahvent found the guts to do it.
    2) the maritimes are just as distinct as Quebec and I feel that(from my experiencs) they speak more french then Quebec. They should get a flag 1st.
    3)Quebequers will never be happy.
    Sorry, but I don't think you know what you're talking about here.

1) Quebec has tried to secede twice, the second time failing by less than 1% of the vote. While the question whether it would be best for Quebec to leave the federation or not is debatable, the fact that it is a completely different nation makes no doubt in my mind.

2) You obviously have had very little experiences. Over 80% of Quebecers learn French as their first language. Francophones in the maritimes represent a minority. With that said, however, I have a great deal of respect for people of Acadian descent.

3) Actually, for the time being, I'd be a very happy Quebecer if I could choose my flag on RHP.
  8. The Great North
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 00:46
    Originally posted by NostalJim
    Sorry, but I don't think you know what you're talking about here.

1) Quebec has tried to secede twice, the second time failing by less than 1% of the vote. While the question whether it would be best for Quebec to leave the federation or not is debatable, the fact that it is a completely different nation makes no doubt in my mind.

2) You obviously ha ...[text shortened]... Actually, for the time being, I'd be a very happy Quebecer if I could choose my flag on RHP.
    1) Ok fine, 2 times, but the fact that they failed 2 times still remains. A different nation...well, ok, maybe( Key word: "different" ), but it is still the same "Country" but that little difference in words makes all the difference in my mind.

2) Ok, I'll admitt, I may have overstated my claims there, but the maritimes have an equally different culture and an equally different way of life. That is no less different.(dont know how much that made sence).

3)It was just a bit of a joke, Your lucky you are around as much as you got now. Us English speakers rocked you french speakers a while back so be proud that you got whatcha got. And i would suspect that a real Quebequer would at least spell "Quebequer" right.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 00:53
    Originally posted by sebistrike
    I see that the Wales Flag and the Scotland flag can be taken in the profile member. My question is, why it is not the same with the Quebec flag? We are a distinct nation as I know, and we are trying since so many years to be separated of the imposed annexion of Canada (like Wales and Scotland). Even if Canada is a great country, for a majority of quebeque ...[text shortened]... is site, you'll make Quebequers chess players happy! Hoping that someone will read that...haha
    But Wales and Scotland are countries. 😕
  10. Montréal
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 01:091 edit
    Originally posted by AlpineXazax
    1) Ok fine, 2 times, but the fact that they failed 2 times still remains. A different nation...well, ok, maybe( Key word: "different" ), but it is still the same "Country" but that little difference in words makes all the difference in my mind.

2) Ok, I'll admitt, I may have overstated my claims there, but the maritimes have an equally different cultu ...[text shortened]... ha got. And i would suspect that a real Quebequer would at least spell "Quebequer" right.
    1) Let's clear that up. I'm not saying that we're a different country. I'm saying that we're a different nation. Wales and Scotland aren't countries, they are nations within the United Kingdom.

2) I disagree. Acadians might be able to make that claim, but the majority of maritimers share the same culture as the rest of Canada. Now, I admit that "Canadian culture" is pretty hard to define, but Quebec clearly stands out.

3) "Quebequer" doesn't exist. The english word is "Quebecer", but the "right" word would have to be Quebecois, though.
  11. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 03:571 edit
    If Quebec gets a flag then I think the United States of Texas should get one.🙄

When Hell freezes over.😛
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 04:493 edits
    Originally posted by NostalJim
    1) Let's clear that up. I'm not saying that we're a different country. I'm saying that we're a different nation. Wales and Scotland aren't countries, they are nations within the United Kingdom.

Wales and Scotland most definately ARE countries.

Geography is obviously not one of your strong points eh?.
  13. Joined
    14 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 07:56
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Wales and Scotland most definately ARE countries.

Geography is obviously not one of your strong points eh?.
    Sorry about that clever man but : United Kingdom country is Scotland, Wales, Isle of man, Nothern Ireland and England united togeter. For the principe, they still call them countries but in fact they aren't (as you can see in a world map or in any atlas). They are for a north american culture what is called a province.

It is not a test of " I'm clever and I know a thing or two about the quebecers so my opinion IS the awnser".

Let's talk face to face about my origins. Maybe after that you'll have an adequate reflexion who is suitable for a post here. There is no doubt here. If a province like Wales have his own flag on RHP (because of his history and his culture), It will be normal for a Quebecer chess player to be represented by his flag.

If you don't care about this, just close this window. If you agree, say it there!

Merci de votre aide! Thanks for your help!
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 09:59
    This debate brings nothing good out of it.

"If they have a flag so I want one too!"

My suggestion is that formulate a rule first and then apply it.
    One rule could be that every nation that is a member of UN. I.e. Let the UN decide.
    Another could be if the nation is a member of FIDE.
    Still another could be that everyone who wants a flag should design it and post it to Russ together with the nation name.

My country is Fabianland and has a yellow Smiley on dark blue background.

Now, I think, the flora of flags is way to large already.
  15. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 10:11
    I really don't think there is anything to be gained by semantic arguements about the difference between a nation, a country and a province etc (if such a difference even exists).

The fact is that there are a sizeable number of chess players who identify themselves as being from Quebec.

Whether or not Quebec is currently an independant nation or not shouldn't really come into it.

We've had the same arguement about Palestine, and the same reasoning applies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree