1. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 16:171 edit
    Hi all,

We have had a lot of feedback regarding the problem of players entering banded tournaments which are unsuited to their chess ability.

For example, a very good player may, wittingly or unwittingly, enter a lower-rated tournament band after their rating has fallen after a period of inactivity.

We also have the problem that newcomers to the site may enter a tournament band, but, by the time the tournament starts, their standard, as reflected by their rating, has proven to be too high for the tournament.

As a reminder, the current system of banded tournament entry is based solely on a player's highest rating in the last 30 days (not including provisional ratings).

Russ and I have been discussing the options for improving this situation this afternoon and would be interested to get your opinions before we start to change anything.

Naturally, if there are a number of mutually-exclusive solutions, we will put it to the vote.

-Chris
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 16:20
    Originally posted by Chris
    Hi all,

We have had a lot of feedback regarding the problem of players entering banded tournaments which are unsuited to their chess ability.

For example, a very good player may, wittingly or unwittingly, enter a lower-rated tournament band after their rating has fallen after a period of inactivity.

We also have the problem that newcomers to the site ...[text shortened]... y, if there are a number of mutually-exclusive solutions, we will put it to the vote.

-Chris
    Read this, and the following few posts, for what I think is the best solution(s).
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

D
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 16:28
    This is a difficult one.

1. I do think that once a tournament starts all entrants should remain until the end no matter what their rating (otherwise you will has a lot of tournaments won by "default" by the only player still in that band at the end. Players may move in and out of the band a number of timeduring the tournment so a player once excluded may again become eligible.

2. It is questionable whether a tournament should start with anyone in that is significantly outside the band at the off, say 50 or 100 rating points above or below the band. Once a player exceeds this tolerance he could be automatically evicted but may reapply if he again become ekigible before the off.

3. I don't think it would be fair not to allow a newbe to enter as neither he nor RHP knows what his rating should be so the tournament was entered into in good faith but he could be evicted by rule 2 above.

4. A player who has been significantly above the top rating bracket for a tournament in the past but has now dropped down should only be allowed to enter if it can be shown that his rise was unusual, eg. if he was previously in the tournaments rating bracket, his rating rose due to a good run of wins but then dropped back to his previous band should be allowed entry but a player who previously played at a lot higher level whose rating dropped due to say a series of time outs who is on the rise again should not be permitted to enter.
  4. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 18:38
    Hi all,

We also have the problem that newcomers to the site ...[text shortened]... y, if there are a number of mutually-exclusive solutions, we will put it to the vote.

-Chris
    Unfortunately, I don't see any reasonably solution for this problem.

In OTB chess, the tournaments have lenghts of some days. But, here in RHP, a tournament can, easily, last months. It's natural to assume, beyond those problems Chris has pointed out, that the player's rating can increase considerably during the tournament.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 18:47
    Hi all,

-Chris
    A better solution may be to base entry to banded tourneys on your average rating over say the last 100 days rather than just 30 days.

This would average out ratings slumps and peaks.

Just my 2p worth.
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 18:484 edits
    I know that this is probably a bad idea, and i know i'm no chess brain, but here goes.

I think that the bands a player should be able to enter, should include the rating that is 100 points below that players highest rating, after he stops being a provisional.

e.g My rating highest is 1450, there for, i can only enter tourneys like 1250-1350, or 1200-1400.

This is just an example of, maybe it should be 150 points below your highest, but i think it is a fair system.
  7. In your face
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 18:53
    Two suggestions.
    1. Lengthen period of highest rating from one to 2 or 3 months. This will deter people from resigning lot's of games to fit into a lower bracket. It will also show, perhaps, a better indication of their skill level due to timeouts, fuzzy periods etc.
    2. Take the average of the rating of them after every game they've played.

Any problems with these potential solutions anyone can see?
  8. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 19:04
    How about you simply base tournament entry on all time highest rating.

[whining]But I'm not really that good. It was just a lucky, winning streak. Etc.[/whining]

Everybody's gonna have peaks in their rating graph. And everybody's gonna get put into a band a little higher than their average (or perhaps current) rating would indicate. It averages out....
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 19:16
    Couldn't you exclude timeouts from the average rating over whatever length of time or number of games?
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 19:19
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    How about you simply base tournament entry on all time highest rating.

[whining]But I'm not really that good. It was just a lucky, winning streak. Etc.[/whining]

Everybody's gonna have peaks in their rating graph. And everybody's gonna get put into a band a little higher than their average (or perhaps current) rating would indicate. It averages out....
    All of the above suggestions have been mentioned, and improved (IMHO) in the thread I linked to above.

D
  11. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 19:33
    Hi all,

-Chris
    I think you should take the highest and lowest ratings a player has in a 30 day period and average them. This can be used to gage a player's average rating.

Also for inactive players, they should have to finish, say 15 games, to reestablish their ratings before joining a tournament that has ratings as a specification for the tournament.
  12. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 20:05
    I htought this thread was about the problem concerning the only tournaments that are being started are bandeds, but I'm just as happy with the actual topic 😛.

I'm good with anything you guys decide. I'm sure what ultimately gets put into place will be the best possible solution.
  13. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 20:11
    The current system is really no good. My proposel is to have a place to publicly shame people who enter tourn far below their level.

A system that combines average with max rating is what is needed. Give players a chance to request to have under-rated players removed before the tourenement starts.
    I am in several tournements that have players misusing the lowbanded tourns, and to tell you the truth it sucks for players in the band legitmatly.
  14. Subscriberstratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    Out of Lockdown
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 20:16
    One of the lures of subsribing to RHP is being able to enter tournaments, and many want to do this straight away. I see what may be a simple solution for one of the problems the RHP community faces, that is create small unbanded tournaments specifically for provisionals.
  15. Standard memberRookRAK
    Out of drinks
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 02:53
    I had several threads - don't have time to dig them up now - about solving some of these problems with a rating floor.

When I get a few minutes I'll find my earlier threads, or summarize my thoughts again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree