Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 07 Jan '11 10:07
    I have recently rejoined this site after a long period of absence due to work commitments, and to my surprise when i checked the player tables 2 good friends of mine appear to have been banned. If anyone knows why the players Fantal and Alzheimer were banned please let me know.
    The reason I call these bannings unfair is that I know both of these players in reality, one is a very strong club player performing in excess of 200ECF this season and the other was my old chess teacher who was a strong correspondence and OTB player for many years
  2. Standard member gambit05
    Mad Murdock
    07 Jan '11 10:32
    Did you asked them?
  3. 07 Jan '11 12:59
    yes and they have both said it was for using engines, but neither of them have so I would like to know why RHP admins seem to keep get ridding of honest quality players
  4. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    07 Jan '11 13:10
    Originally posted by Krb3710
    honest quality players
    people lie online. cheating scumbags especially.
  5. Subscriber Ponderable On Vacation
    chemist
    07 Jan '11 13:15
    So you ask if anybody knew why they have been banned. Next post you know the "why" (engine use) but claim to know that it has not been fair.

    Two points:

    * NOBODY can claim that a given person here did never use an engine.

    * The heck which is made abot blatant cheats being banned only very slowly suggests that the admins here err on the side of the accusede rather than of the witch hunters.


    Apart from that please read up the various threads about cheating and finding cheats. It will take you some hours and maybe enlightens you. I don't think that there is much to be gained from beginning the discussion anew.
  6. 07 Jan '11 13:20
    my point is that these players have both been banned for a crime they have not commited, what is the point?
  7. 07 Jan '11 13:29
    Chill. I know of some guys who were convicted of a crime they didn't commit, and it worked out OK for them.

    http://tinyurl.com/32njanf
  8. 07 Jan '11 13:31 / 1 edit
    How did you meet them?

    How well did you know them?

    I mean, they've been banned for weeks and you just found it.

    It seems possible that they could have been cheating without your noticing.
  9. 07 Jan '11 13:35
    alzheimer i met when i first started playing club chess, known him for about 3 years now played a few tournaments and matches alongside him, a very talented player.
    Fantal I've known for about 6 years since he started running a chess club at my school, he was another very strong player who had got a result against korchnoi some years ago
  10. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    07 Jan '11 13:37
    Originally posted by Krb3710
    my point is that these players have both been banned for a crime they have not commited, what is the point?
    judging on past bannings, I'm sure they were more than blatant cheaters. rhp doesn't ban borderline cases, the margin of error allows for considerably stronger level than any GM past or present has been able to reach. obviously any claims of the existence of legitimate unknown players of that caliber are simply ludicrous.

    which leaves us the conclusion that amazingly enough, cheaters indeed do lie.
  11. 07 Jan '11 13:43
    Originally posted by wormwood
    judging on past bannings, I'm sure they were more than blatant cheaters. rhp doesn't ban borderline cases, the margin of error allows for considerably stronger level than any GM past or present has been able to reach. obviously any claims of the existence of legitimate unknown players of that caliber are simply ludicrous.

    which leaves us the conclusion that amazingly enough, cheaters indeed do lie.
    are you saying that my claim that these were indeed two very talented players is a lie?
  12. 07 Jan '11 13:47
    No. Clearly that is not stated or even implied. Read again.
    Have your friends actually assured you that they are not engine users, or are you simply making that assertion based on the fact that you know them to be good chess players?
  13. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    07 Jan '11 13:48
    Originally posted by Krb3710
    are you saying that my claim that these were indeed two very talented players is a lie?
    no. I'm saying they lied to you when they told you they weren't using engines.
  14. 07 Jan '11 13:49
    it is implied by the line "judging on past bannings, I'm sure they were more than blatant cheaters."
    i know they arent engine users because they are strong honest players, they also placed many attack on engine users on RHP and Fantal I think was close to moving to gameknot anyway to avoid those kind of people
  15. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    07 Jan '11 13:50
    Originally posted by Krb3710
    alzheimer i met when i first started playing club chess, known him for about 3 years now played a few tournaments and matches alongside him, a very talented player.
    you're english. alzhaimer is german.

    ?