1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 18:051 edit
    Originally posted by SmittyTime
    Has anyone ever been banned for soemthing other than engine use? In my short time here I am only aware of bannings for this reason.
    I banned a man in Reno... just to see him cry.

Users here have been banned from the site for sending abusive messages, ranting too much, bad mouthing the site far too often (if you don't like it, go!), sharing personal information of others, linking to bad web pages / images, and being really stupid in a number of different ways.

As big a bunch of gerks those folks may have been, I respect them far more than a person who feels they need to use a chess engine for a fake rating on a chess web site.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 18:45
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Lol... go to GK to avoid engine use! That's like going to the beach to avoid the sand.
    Sweet!
  3. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 19:44
    WGM Anastasia Savina (4al0) got banned from this site......
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 20:03
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    Unless something drastic has changed, that right there ^ is pretty darn funny.
    Gameknot is a cesspool of chess lawnmowers above 2000 or so.
  5. Joined
    09 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 20:34
    It troubles me the fact that banned players are not given a chance to defend themselves...
    But frankly, I can't figure an alternative for the current system.
  6. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 20:472 edits
    Originally posted by jankrb
    WGM Anastasia Savina (4al0) got banned from this site......
    ...except it was never WGM Anastasia Savina. The person claiming to be her was found to be playing moves on RHP at exactly the same time as the real Anastasia Savina was playing, game in progress, in a tournament in Moscow.

Rule No. 1: never be suckered into believing what/who people claim to be. The bigger the claim, the more likely the lie (that's rule No. 2)

Remember DanVM 🙄
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 20:51
    Originally posted by smaia
    It troubles me the fact that banned players are not given a chance to defend themselves...
    What's to defend?

How can you defend yourself when you as a human are doing the equivalent of a machine that measures millions of positions a second throwing out moves that most humans who are great at chess make?

Engines and great humans make very different decisions in chess.

A million monkeys with typewriters would write Gone with The Wind sooner than a human would match engine play time and time again over most every game.

P-
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 20:55
    Originally posted by smaia
    Yeah, tough to think of a valid defense for somebody matching up to engines at a rate exponentially higher than the best chess players in the world.
  9. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 20:59
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

A million monkeys with typewriters would write Gone with The Wind sooner than a human would match engine play time and time again over most every game.
    No!
  10. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 21:02
    Originally posted by atticus2
    ...except it was never WGM Anastasia Savina. The person claiming to be her was found to be playing moves on RHP at exactly the same time as the real Anastasia Savina was playing, game in progress, in a tournament in Moscow.

Rule No. 1: never be suckered into believing what/who people claim to be. The bigger the claim, the more likely the lie (that's rule No. 2)

Remember DanVM 🙄
    Wow, a conspiracy theory is comping up now.....

After DanVM (Vladimir Montanu) got banned, I gave one of my emailaddresses to 4al0 and received shortly after that an email from DanVM. They knew each other.
    I had a regular email conversation with him about his OTB tournaments in Austria etc. and asked also about 4al0. Never got contact with her.
    Maybe those two were one and the same person ?!
  11. Joined
    07 Sep '03
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 21:14
    i would like to begin with the fact that I hate engine users and other types of cheaters.
    it makes me sick that they would even waste their time doing that.

im very familiar with engine play. i have dozens of engines and used them for years (not to do moves for me of course!). i even created one (no name of course).

i agree that when finding cheaters multiple games using multiple engines is probably the best way to find them. check the moves of the "player" vs engine and see the percentage of common or identical moves. the more the better.

there are some things I am curious about though...
    ive seen this site ban players because they were banned on other chess websites.
    what makes those other websites methods any better than what rhp has?
    i surely hope rhp used their methods to give further evidence of cheating in addition to just the above reason.
  12. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 21:15
    That answer is responsive to my querry.

I would be most obliged if you would elaborate and let us know what other ways exist to get banned from this place.
  13. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 21:16
    Darn.

This sounds like just the sort of thing this place needs.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 21:24
    Originally posted by SSJ4GogetaSSJ4
    i would like to begin with the fact that I hate engine users and other types of cheaters.
    it makes me sick that they would even waste their time doing that.

im very familiar with engine play. i have dozens of engines and used them for years (not to do moves for me of course!). i even created one (no name of course).

i agree that when finding c ...[text shortened]... used their methods to give further evidence of cheating in addition to just the above reason.
    RHP has NEVER banned a player just because they were banned at another site. The users probably just earned another ban based on the way RHP checks. RHP may not have even known they were banned at another site.

Again, RHP has never banned a player just because another site banned them.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Jan '11 23:06
    Originally posted by Krb3710
    I have recently rejoined this site after a long period of absence due to work commitments, and to my surprise when i checked the player tables 2 good friends of mine appear to have been banned. If anyone knows why the players Fantal and Alzheimer were banned please let me know.
    The reason I call these bannings unfair is that I know both of these players in ...[text shortened]... the other was my old chess teacher who was a strong correspondence and OTB player for many years
    What was your previous account? Why didn't you just use it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree