Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    02 Sep '17 09:02
    starts tomorrow
  2. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    02 Sep '17 12:30
    Originally posted by @ketchuplover
    starts tomorrow
    Is it being annotated anywhere e.g like a "game of the day" feature?
    I don't have the time to watch it live.
  3. 04 Sep '17 03:07 / 1 edit
    @venda I really like following this tournament, as it's the only strong chess knockout tournament I know of. I'm going to be writing a few blogs covering the tournament in the next few days (although I know I'm frequently inconsistent.) Other than that, here are a few resources I found useful/informative for following along.

    chessbase with annotations for several games: http://en.chessbase.com/post/world-cup-2017-35-decisive-games

    reddit recap with quicker descriptions: https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/6xuiaz/world_cup_day_1_summary_spoilers/

    wikipedia for results: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_World_Cup_2017

    HikaruShindo
  4. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    04 Sep '17 13:32
    Originally posted by @hikarushindo
    @venda I really like following this tournament, as it's the only strong chess knockout tournament I know of. I'm going to be writing a few blogs covering the tournament in the next few days (although I know I'm frequently inconsistent.) Other than that, here are a few resources I found useful/informative for following along.

    chessbase with annotatio ...[text shortened]... rs/

    wikipedia for results: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_World_Cup_2017

    HikaruShindo
    Thanks for that
  5. 04 Sep '17 14:32
    I forgot to mention this as I posted relatively late last night @venda but chess24.com also has good coverage of the event and is the main place where I follow along live.

    Here's their livestream: https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments

    And their recap for the first round: https://chess24.com/en/read/news/tbilisi-world-cup-1-1-wei-yi-shocker
  6. 04 Sep '17 19:51 / 1 edit
    I wish this tournament was a double elimination tournament. One bad game and they are in a must win situation. If there was a draw in the first game and they have a bad game the next, they don't get a second chance. It just seems a little too harsh.
  7. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    05 Sep '17 14:40
    looking forward to Yi vs. Rapport in round 2
  8. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    06 Sep '17 01:02
    Originally posted by @knightstalker47
    I wish this tournament was a double elimination tournament. One bad game and they are in a must win situation. If there was a draw in the first game and they have a bad game the next, they don't get a second chance. It just seems a little too harsh.
    That's what makes it exciting!
  9. Subscriber ogb
    06 Sep '17 11:32
    Originally posted by @knightstalker47
    I wish this tournament was a double elimination tournament. One bad game and they are in a must win situation. If there was a draw in the first game and they have a bad game the next, they don't get a second chance. It just seems a little too harsh.
    The tournament is 24 days long as is..I'm not good at maths, but double elimination would double the length ? Players couldnt afford the hotel stay !!
  10. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    06 Sep '17 16:21
    Down goes Anand!
  11. Subscriber ogb
    08 Sep '17 12:34
    Originally posted by @ketchuplover
    Down goes Anand!
    yes and M. Adams, Karjakin, Eljanov, too. Aronian vs. Yifan Hou three draws so far..!!!
  12. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    09 Sep '17 13:48
    Kovalyov apparently violated the dress code today
  13. Subscriber ogb
    10 Sep '17 13:51
    Originally posted by @ketchuplover
    Kovalyov apparently violated the dress code today
    what a numbskull..Even Ivanchuk can manage to arrive at the correct time and properly clad.
  14. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    10 Sep '17 14:39
    Originally posted by @ogb
    what a numbskull..Even Ivanchuk can manage to arrive at the correct time and properly clad.
    Not good planning for a chess player imo
  15. 10 Sep '17 16:47
    @ogb @ketchuplover

    Relevant wikipedia:
    Shortly before the third round game between Anton Kovalyov and Maxim Rodshtein was due to start, Kovalyov was instructed by the event organisers to change his shorts, the same pair he had worn in the first two rounds, as they violated the dress code. Kovalyov then left the venue and did not return, thus forfeiting the game.[10] Chess.com reported that when Kovalyov asked why he should change his attire, the chief organiser Zurab Azmaiparashvili replied: "Because you look like a gipsy!"[11] Kovalyov interpreted this as racial abuse.[12] In response, he checked out of his hotel and returned to Canada, abandoning the tournament.[11]

    It still seems like a bit of an overreaction, but much more understandable than just ignoring a possible violation.