1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 12:18
    Is it usual for the 3 pawns to win vs a knight or is it a draw? What about 3 pawns vs bishop or rook? And is it theoretically favoring 9 pawns vs a queen?
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 12:441 edit
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Is it usual for the 3 pawns to win vs a knight or is it a draw? What about 3 pawns vs bishop or rook? And is it theoretically favoring 9 pawns vs a queen?
    It depends on the position but 3 joined pawns supported by a king would have good winning chances against a lone Knight. A Bishop may be able to draw against 3 connected pawns but depending on the position of the stronger sides King and Rook a lone Rook should, in my opinion, have good winning chances.

A lone queen should win most positions against 8 pawns as it can usually pick off the pawns with check / gain of tempo 1 by 1.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 12:51
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    It depends on the position but 3 joined pawns supported by a king would have good winning chances against a lone Knight, whereas a Bishop may be able to draw and a Rook should win.

A lone queen should win most positions against 8 pawns as it can usually pick off the pawns with check / gain of tempo 1 by 1.
    A rook should win against three connected pawns? Cool, you learn something new everyday.

Ps: I just ran a knight v. 3 pawns in various positions (all from natural starting places) and every time it drew.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 13:032 edits
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    A rook should win against three connected pawns? Cool, you learn something new everyday.

Ps: I just ran a knight v. 3 pawns in various positions (all from natural starting places) and every time it drew.
    It always depends on the position although I actually I meant 3 connected pawns should win against a Knight and didn't necessarily mean connected against the Rook. A rook could have difficulty winning against 3 advanced and connected pawns but I believe should win if their king is in front of and can hold the pawns and the Rook is correctly placed (I must look this up tonight when I get home as I might just be talking a load of tripe). Against isolated pawns the Rook should win easily.

Black to move. Can he draw?

Put the white pieces bank a rank. Any difference?
    2 ranks back, what now?

Would you prefer to reposition the black knight? Put it anywhere with black still to move and show us the draw.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 13:151 edit
    White to move.
    Can he draw?

Will it make a difference if you move the pieces 1 rank forward?
    2 ranks?
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 13:36
    the reason i asked is because i have a game Game 3453491 and wondered if i was playing aimlessly.

I think I can win it with them being connected.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 13:381 edit
    the reason i asked is because i have a game Game 3453491 and wondered if i was playing aimlessly.

I think I can win it with them being connected.
    Don't you realise that you've effectively asked for (and received) advice about a game in progress? The honourable thing to do would be to resign the game, or at least offer a draw.
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 14:10
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Don't you realise that you've effectively asked for (and received) advice about a game in progress? The honourable thing to do would be to resign the game, or at least offer a draw.
    hmm...to be fair, I don't think this is really a breach of the TOS, seeing as they asked for general advice on N v 3p endgame, not about the exact position
  9. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 14:18
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Even if that was against the rules, the information in this thread didn't change my intentions in any way.
  10. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 14:33
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    hmm...to be fair, I don't think this is really a breach of the TOS, seeing as they asked for [b]general advice on N v 3p endgame, not about the exact position[/b]
    The main point is not whether the person is seeking general or specific advice, but rather just the fact that they are seeking any advice relating to a game in progress.

Initially the poster was wondering if he was playing aimlessly. And now he thinks he can win. So this thread changed the chances of him offering a draw and that's unfair to his opponent.

And if asking didn't help with his game... why ask at all?
  11. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 15:16
    I understand I was wrong. It would have helped if it was impossible. Because then I would have offered a draw instead of continuing as I planned. The advice given here is what I thought. I learned nothing except the 3 pawn vs rook
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 15:491 edit
    Is it usual for the 3 pawns to win vs a knight or is it a draw?
    Advice removed.

D
  13. Dublin
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 21:45
    And is it theoretically favoring 9 pawns vs a queen?
    Queen should win as opponent has been cheating. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree