Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 20 Feb '12 20:55
    and i mean good moves.
    how is it possible? in CC of course, not blitz
  2. 21 Feb '12 00:32
    I guess one has to be unemployed. (or retired)

I remember a guy on this site who had over 2000 games in progress. Must be sitting at the computer all day long.
  3. 21 Feb '12 00:48
    I don't think it's that hard (not that I play that many at the moment). Fifty moves is basically a game's worth, maybe two. That's not a ridiculous amount of chess to play in a day. You save a lot of time on familiar openings, won positions, or lines you've already calculated. Certainly if every move was in a complicated middlegame position against equal opposition then fifty moves would be a stretch, but usually that's not the case.
  4. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    21 Feb '12 01:13
    Originally posted by mikenay
    I don't think it's that hard (not that I play that many at the moment). Fifty moves is basically a game's worth, maybe two. That's not a ridiculous amount of chess to play in a day. You save a lot of time on familiar openings, won positions, or lines you've already calculated. Certainly if every move was in a complicated middlegame position against equal opposition then fifty moves would be a stretch, but usually that's not the case.
    Last summer I had over 300 games on the go at the same time. I was up through the night many times until 6 or 7 am. From now on I'm trying to keep it below 30 games. I've only signed up for one tournament in the last 4 months.

If the positions are in the opening that you are familiar with them then 50 moves a day is no trouble at all.
  5. 21 Feb '12 09:32
    @mikenay
    there's a big difference between 50 moves in 50 games and 50 moves in one game. the latter is obviously much easier

@kingshill
    you cannot possibly steer all games into pet opening lines. and even if, i would hate to (and fail miserably) be forced to make 50 moves in the middle and endgames
  6. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    21 Feb '12 10:24
    Originally posted by watchyourbackrank
    and i mean good moves.
    how is it possible? in CC of course, not blitz
    50 moves is nothing. User 198302 has averaged 758 moves a day since the beginning of Feb.

When my missus says i've been spending too long playing chess, i say 'No, THIS guy is spending too long playing chess!!' He makes more moves in a day than i will in a month.
  7. 21 Feb '12 11:04 / 1 edit
    I've figured it all out. User 198302

Six people on different parts parts of the planet all doing a 4 hour shift each.
    The guy who does the 8am - 12am shift is good, the 4pm - 8pm guy is a naff.
    There is no engine evidence so let it go. It's all good clean fun.

You get to play 6 different people at once and if you log on for the 4pm-8pm shift
    your two move traps will work.

(I bet the other 5 want to ditch him but he probably pays the sub). 🙂
  8. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    21 Feb '12 11:06
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Six people on different parts parts of the planet all doing a 4 hour shift each.

You get to play 6 different people at once and if you log on for the 4pm-8pm shif ...[text shortened]... ve traps will work.

Was this directed at me?

'There is no engine evidence so let it go. It's all good clean fun.'
  9. 21 Feb '12 11:25
    No.
  10. 21 Feb '12 12:53
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    50 moves is nothing. User 198302 has averaged 758 moves [b]a day since the beginning of Feb.

When my missus says i've been spending too long playing chess, i say 'No, THIS guy is spending too long playing chess!!' He makes more moves in a day than i will in a month.[/b]
    that user 198302 doesn't make good moves all the time. which was my point in the original post. how is it possible to maintain a, say 2200+ level, having to make 50 moves a day?
  11. 22 Feb '12 00:42
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    50 moves is nothing. User 198302 has averaged 758 moves [b]a day since the beginning of Feb.

When my missus says i've been spending too long playing chess, i say 'No, THIS guy is spending too long playing chess!!' He makes more moves in a day than i will in a month.[/b]
    That's an average of a move every two minutes, 24 hours a day.

How is it possible ?
  12. 22 Feb '12 00:47
    Originally posted by w0lver1ne
    That's an average of a move every two minutes, 24 hours a day.

How is it possible ?
    Because you can make many more moves in two minutes than just one.
  13. 22 Feb '12 00:56
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Because you can make many more moves in two minutes than just one.
    Not in a complicated middlegame against a strong player.

And still a guy must sleep, he cannot play 24 hours a day. So that makes more than a move every two minutes.
  14. 22 Feb '12 01:00
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

You get to play 6 different people at once and if you log on for the 4pm-8pm shif ...[text shortened]... ve traps will work.

"You get to play 6 different people at once and if you log on for the 4pm-8pm shift
    your two move traps will work. "

Is that California time?
  15. 22 Feb '12 01:06
    Originally posted by w0lver1ne
    Not in a complicated middlegame against a strong player.

And still a guy must sleep, he cannot play 24 hours a day. So that makes more than a move every two minutes.
    "Strong" depends on the perspecitve. Is a 2000 rated player "strong" compared to a 2500 player? No, but he is compared to a 1600 player.