Moves
    20 Feb '12 20:55
    and i mean good moves.
    how is it possible? in CC of course, not blitz
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '12
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 00:32
    I guess one has to be unemployed. (or retired)

I remember a guy on this site who had over 2000 games in progress. Must be sitting at the computer all day long.
  3. Joined
    11 Aug '03
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 00:48
    I don't think it's that hard (not that I play that many at the moment). Fifty moves is basically a game's worth, maybe two. That's not a ridiculous amount of chess to play in a day. You save a lot of time on familiar openings, won positions, or lines you've already calculated. Certainly if every move was in a complicated middlegame position against equal opposition then fifty moves would be a stretch, but usually that's not the case.
  4. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 01:13
    Originally posted by mikenay
    I don't think it's that hard (not that I play that many at the moment). Fifty moves is basically a game's worth, maybe two. That's not a ridiculous amount of chess to play in a day. You save a lot of time on familiar openings, won positions, or lines you've already calculated. Certainly if every move was in a complicated middlegame position against equal opposition then fifty moves would be a stretch, but usually that's not the case.
    Last summer I had over 300 games on the go at the same time. I was up through the night many times until 6 or 7 am. From now on I'm trying to keep it below 30 games. I've only signed up for one tournament in the last 4 months.

If the positions are in the opening that you are familiar with them then 50 moves a day is no trouble at all.
  5. on your backrank!
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 09:32
    @mikenay
    there's a big difference between 50 moves in 50 games and 50 moves in one game. the latter is obviously much easier

@kingshill
    you cannot possibly steer all games into pet opening lines. and even if, i would hate to (and fail miserably) be forced to make 50 moves in the middle and endgames
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 10:24
    Originally posted by watchyourbackrank
    and i mean good moves.
    how is it possible? in CC of course, not blitz
    50 moves is nothing. User 198302 has averaged 758 moves a day since the beginning of Feb.

When my missus says i've been spending too long playing chess, i say 'No, THIS guy is spending too long playing chess!!' He makes more moves in a day than i will in a month.
  7. e4
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 11:041 edit
    I've figured it all out. User 198302

Six people on different parts parts of the planet all doing a 4 hour shift each.
    The guy who does the 8am - 12am shift is good, the 4pm - 8pm guy is a naff.
    There is no engine evidence so let it go. It's all good clean fun.

You get to play 6 different people at once and if you log on for the 4pm-8pm shift
    your two move traps will work.

(I bet the other 5 want to ditch him but he probably pays the sub). 🙂
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 11:06
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Six people on different parts parts of the planet all doing a 4 hour shift each.

You get to play 6 different people at once and if you log on for the 4pm-8pm shif ...[text shortened]... ve traps will work.

Was this directed at me?

'There is no engine evidence so let it go. It's all good clean fun.'
  9. e4
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 11:25
    No.
  10. on your backrank!
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 12:53
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    50 moves is nothing. User 198302 has averaged 758 moves [b]a day since the beginning of Feb.

When my missus says i've been spending too long playing chess, i say 'No, THIS guy is spending too long playing chess!!' He makes more moves in a day than i will in a month.[/b]
    that user 198302 doesn't make good moves all the time. which was my point in the original post. how is it possible to maintain a, say 2200+ level, having to make 50 moves a day?
  11. Joined
    01 Feb '12
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 00:42
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    50 moves is nothing. User 198302 has averaged 758 moves [b]a day since the beginning of Feb.

When my missus says i've been spending too long playing chess, i say 'No, THIS guy is spending too long playing chess!!' He makes more moves in a day than i will in a month.[/b]
    That's an average of a move every two minutes, 24 hours a day.

How is it possible ?
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 00:47
    Originally posted by w0lver1ne
    That's an average of a move every two minutes, 24 hours a day.

How is it possible ?
    Because you can make many more moves in two minutes than just one.
  13. Joined
    01 Feb '12
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 00:56
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Because you can make many more moves in two minutes than just one.
    Not in a complicated middlegame against a strong player.

And still a guy must sleep, he cannot play 24 hours a day. So that makes more than a move every two minutes.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 01:00
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

You get to play 6 different people at once and if you log on for the 4pm-8pm shif ...[text shortened]... ve traps will work.

"You get to play 6 different people at once and if you log on for the 4pm-8pm shift
    your two move traps will work. "

Is that California time?
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 01:06
    Originally posted by w0lver1ne
    Not in a complicated middlegame against a strong player.

And still a guy must sleep, he cannot play 24 hours a day. So that makes more than a move every two minutes.
    "Strong" depends on the perspecitve. Is a 2000 rated player "strong" compared to a 2500 player? No, but he is compared to a 1600 player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree