1. USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:54
    I need some advice on gambits. I never play gambits because I'm not one of those "pawn for position" people. Like my personality, my play is generally risk free. I don't take risks, which is why I don't like gambits. Recently I realized that I am probably missing out on a lot by not playing gambits. Does anyone have any advice on gambits and how to make them successful? And I'm talking general ideas.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:58
    im no expert, really im pretty rubbish, but a gambit is often quickly recoverd, eg queens gambit (i think) which is 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxd4 but white will get the d4 pawn back because if black defends it black will lose out by a lot more than a pawn. i think
  3. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:00
    well the queens gambit can be more complicated, if black wants to keep the pawn, he can, but relinquishes the center.
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:05
    A true gambit does not offer immediate material compensation, but rather offers compensation in space or time.

Some gambits on the otherhand are tactical in nature and are therefore described as dubious. If the one accepts these psudo-gambits, then ones pieces will be pulled off of their squares, the point being that they leave other pieces undefended that can then be captured. These gambits can also conceal hidden attacks, for example a knight could take the head of a pawn chain, revealing a hidden attack on an undefended knight. Whether your opponent decides to take the knight or defend his own he is still left a pawn down.
  6. USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:09
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    im no expert, really im pretty rubbish, but a gambit is often quickly recoverd, eg queens gambit (i think) which is 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxd4 but white will get the d4 pawn back because if black defends it black will lose out by a lot more than a pawn. i think
    I play the Queen's gambit, but only because it is not really a gambit. There is no decent way for Black to defend the pawn
  7. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:09
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I play the Queen's gambit, but only because it is not really a gambit. There is no decent way for Black to defend the pawn
    yes there is
  8. USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:10
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Don't worry, CM Master will be along shortly to go on (and on) about the Kings Gambit...😉
    That's why I said general in my first post... don't need a KG lecture when I play d4 openings
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:15
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    yes there is
    1. d4 d5
    2. c4 dxc4
    3. Qa4+ wins the pawn back by force.

This is rarely played because both sides have an interest in maintaining tension, but black cannot hold the pawn...
  10. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:16
    Originally posted by Mister Meaner
    1. d4 d5
    2. c4 dxc4
    3. Qa4+ wins the pawn back by force.

This is rarely played because both sides have an interest in maintaining tension, but black cannot hold the pawn...
    okay then, im wrong, but thats not good for white, but it does get the pawn back🙂
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:23
    That's why I said general in my first post... don't need a KG lecture when I play d4 openings
    Exactly what gambits do you wish to talk about then?
    What do you play against 1.e4?
  12. washington
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:24
    as a general rule gambits arriving from e4 tend to attack the f7 square of black. gambits arrising from d4 pawn openings tend to have a longer build up before attacking. i prefer the scotch gambit e4 e5 Nc3 Nf6 d4 exd4 Bc4.
  13. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:25
    smith morra gambit is good for white, for black the marshall attack is very strong!!! it gives up a pawn for a strong attack
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:471 edit
    I need some advice on gambits. I never play gambits because I'm not one of those "pawn for position" people. Like my personality, my play is generally risk free. I don't take risks, which is why I don't like gambits. Recently I realized that I am probably missing out on a lot by not playing gambits. Does anyone have any advice on gambits and how to make them successful? And I'm talking general ideas.
    To thy own self be true; if you're risk aversive, don't play gambits.

I don't like opening gambits myself on either side; they're usually extremely "booked" and require a lot of memorization. The Smith-Morra is an annoying one to face that I usually decline and turn into a c3 Sicilian (I'm a Sicilian player). I do like the Alekhine-Chatard Attack against the French though.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    To thy own self be true; if you're risk aversive, don't play gambits.

I don't like opening gambits myself on either side; they're usually extremely "booked" and require a lot of memorization. The Smith-Morra is an annoying one to face that I usually decline and turn into a c3 Sicilian (I'm a Sicilian player). I do like the Alekhine-Chatard Attack against the French though.
    Never heard of that one, will have to look into it (Alekhine-Chatard). Well...If you refuse to hear about the KG and don't play e4....I'd say use the QG, awesome d4 opening, I've even used it a few times (I don't think on RHP though), and as black against d4 use the Benko Gambit. Totally sound, totally awesome. White often declines, because if he accepts he has to face massive Q-Side pressure from black. Beyond this black's position is so awesome that he will often have the better endgame despite giving up the pawn!

For example...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=

Game 2153910

That was my first ever BG game, and so there are a couple ehs in it, but overall not a horrible example. And if I'm not good enough for you...

www.chessgames.com

Or you could play the KG.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree