1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 21:59
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Never heard of that one, will have to look into it (Alekhine-Chatard). Well...If you refuse to hear about the KG and don't play e4....I'd say use the QG, awesome d4 opening, I've even used it a few times (I don't think on RHP though), and as black against d4 use the Benko Gambit. Totally sound, totally awesome. White often declines, because if he accept ...[text shortened]... And if I'm not good enough for you...

www.chessgames.com

Or you could play the KG.
    LOL
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:101 edit
    Never heard of that one, will have to look into it (Alekhine-Chatard). Well...If you refuse to hear about the KG and don't play e4....I'd say use the QG, awesome d4 opening, I've even used it a few times (I don't think on RHP though), and as black against d4 use the Benko Gambit. Totally sound, totally awesome. White often declines, because if he accept And if I'm not good enough for you...

www.chessgames.com

1 e4 e6
    2 d4 d5
    3 Nc3 Nf6
    4 Bg5 Be7
    5 e5 Nfd6
    6 h4 Bxg5
    7 hxg5 Qxg5
    8 Nh3 etc. etc. with Qg4 and a strong kingside attack to follow.

I do use the Budapest against d4 particulary in OTB, but that rarely turns out to be a real gambit.
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:112 edits
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I play the Queen's gambit, but only because it is not really a gambit. There is no decent way for Black to defend the pawn
    The Queens Gambit is best declined and so does not become a gambit as no pawn is given up.

Try the Morra Gambit in response to c5
    1. e4 .. c5;
    2. d4 .. cXd
    3. c3 .. dxc
    4. Nxc3

or the Kings Gambit in response to e5
    1. e4 .. e5
    2. f4 .. exf

Look at some of my games (I play a lot of both). The principles are the same in both in that white gives up a pawn for a lead in development and open lines. In the case of the KG the f file and attacks on f7 by Bc4 and Nf3 - e5 (g5) and in the case of the MG open c and d files and again an attack on f7 by Bc4 and some dangerous pins on the d and e files along with the threat of getting a N to c7.

As I never play d4 I don't know the Q G and as black avoid it by playing the Benoni or Kings Indian or sometimes the Nimzo-Indian. There are Gambit lines against both the French (e6) and Caro Kann (c6) but I have not found one I really like as white (yet!).
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:171 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    To thy own self be true; if you're risk aversive, don't play gambits.

I don't like opening gambits myself on either side; they're usually extremely "booked" and require a lot of memorization. The Smith-Morra is an annoying one to face that I usually decline and turn into a c3 Sicilian (I'm a Sicilian player). I do like the Alekhine-Chatard Attack against the French though.
    Ok checked it out, not my style really, rather interesting though.

Chesskid, here's a more general idea on Gambits from my own point of view.

They're risky, usually too risky. First, and this is of the utmost importance, you HAVE to know what you're doing in almost every gambit line. I can think of only a few where this is untrue...Benko (I use it, and have done almost 0 reading on it, the pieces really slide into place) and maybe some others. I WAS going to say the King's Bishop Gambit, but that actually does require *some* theory, and more if you want to play it right. Really, you say your play is risk free, and you like it that way, but you think you're missing out on something. Yeah, I had this feeling once, and now my main opening is the KG. Basically I just found that playing wild games were more fun that positional games. In fact I'd say my transition from positional to wild is extreme. Back in April I played 1.c4 (see CMSMaster vs. Sun Tzu General or CMSMaster vs. WhiskeyJack), and one day decided to try out the KG for some fun. Two unrated FICS games, 2-0 score with a total of under 25 moves, and I found somebody on there they talked about it with me for a couple of hours. Since then I have (of course) been playing lots of gambits. Among them I've tried the KG, the BG, The Smith-Morra (Rarely, and I've since decided upon the Grand Prix Attack), the Reti Gambit (1.e4 e6 2.b3!? d5 3.Bb2!?), and others others very seldom. Honestly it's a risk, I like them, because to me, it's more fun. Not only that, but for a while I had no positional sense. Playing things like the English didn't always offer best results, especially OTB. There's one EXTREMELY important thing to remember though. Nobody is equal. (GG Founding Fathers) If you want to then you should play some gambits. But don't feel like your missing out if you don't. People that play gambits miss out on the slower more positional games. You can't have it all, it's one way or the other. I like gambits, despite how risky they can be. But, there was a time when I thought slowly choking the opponent in your positional grasp could be awesome. Honestly, asking people to tell you if you should or should not play gambits leaves them in a tough spot. Who are we to tell you if you should play gambits or not? You have to make that decision for yourself. If I created a thread asking "Should I play the King's Gambit?" And if it weren't for a handful of people (Me, Dragon Fire, Aging Blitzer, Northern Lad, Cludi, Bedlam, Tebb (used it OTB), Zebano...) I'm sure I'd get an overwhelming amount who say "No way, it's too risky." But I decided it was best for me to play it myself and see if it worked for me. Yeah, it does, and yes I use it.

That better answer your question.
  5. washington
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:19
    dragon fire i've always wonderd about the smith morra and it looks fun to play. do you have any games of it?
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:19
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    The Queens Gambit is best declined and so does not become a gambit as no pawn is given up.

Try the Morra Gambit
    1. e4 .. c5;
    2. d4 .. cXd
    3. c3 .. dxc
    4. Nxc3
    If black doesn't know his stuff this can become an awful mess for him.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:233 edits
    Originally posted by kmac27
    dragon fire i've always wonderd about the smith morra and it looks fun to play. do you have any games of it?
    Try Game 2381738; or
    Game 2266665 (won by time out but a win anyway); or
    Game 2211535

Typical examples of the dangers but beware the MG is harder for white to play than the KG.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:261 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Try Game 2381738; or
    Game 2266665 (won by time out but a win anyway)
    Second one is a Ruy Lopez.

EDIT:strange...now it isn't. Nevermind.
  9. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:26
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    A true gambit does not offer immediate material compensation, but rather offers compensation in space or time.

Some gambits on the otherhand are tactical in nature and are therefore described as dubious. If the one accepts these psudo-gambits, then ones pieces will be pulled off of their squares, the point being that they leave other pieces undefended ...[text shortened]... Whether your opponent decides to take the knight or defend his own he is still left a pawn down.
    What does Black get for the Latvian Gambit? Seems to me black is two moves behind and cannot get his Queen's Rook and or his Queen's Knight or Bishop into the game. White can get all of his men into the game. White has two Rooks to work with to Black's one. The Latvian Gambit is refuted but still some players really like the opening. I have a record of 2-0-0 vs the Latvian Gambit. It seems to me that one bad or inaccurate move form White may give Black strong chances to win.
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:31
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    yes there is
    I read that it is not a ture gambit as white can get the pawn back. I do not know who made that statement.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:39
    Never heard of that one, will have to look into it (Alekhine-Chatard). Well...If you refuse to hear about the KG and don't play e4....I'd say use the QG, awesome d4 opening, I've even used it a few times (I don't think on RHP though), and as black against d4 use the Benko Gambit. Totally sound, totally awesome. White often declines, because if he accept ...[text shortened]... And if I'm not good enough for you...

www.chessgames.com

I may be wrong but the game is not a true Benko Gambit. I think it is the Benko Gambit half accepted?
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:42
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I may be wrong but the game is not a true Benko Gambit. I think it is the Benko Gambit half accepted?
    Erm, yeah I think that's the proper term. Full accept is b5 cx5 a6 bxa6 g6 (Or Bxa6 immediately). Like I said, it's very rare to see that in modern games because it's hard for white to handle the pressure down the a and b files. But yes, this IS a Benko Gambit game.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 22:49
    Erm, yeah I think that's the proper term. Full accept is b5 cx5 a6 bxa6 g6 (Or Bxa6 immediately). Like I said, it's very rare to see that in modern games because it's hard for white to handle the pressure down the a and b files. But yes, this IS a Benko Gambit game.
    LMAO, sub-1300 hilarity.

I did in fact have a QG game on here....

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=1887431#

Game 1887431
  14. USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 23:00
    Ok checked it out, not my style really, rather interesting though.

Chesskid, here's a more general idea on Gambits from my own point of view.

They're risky, usually too risky. First, and this is of the utmost importance, you HAVE to know what you're doing in almost every gambit line. I can think of only a few where this is untrue...Benko (I use it, ...[text shortened]... Yeah, it does, and yes I use it.

That better answer your question.
    good advice
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 23:02
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    good advice
    If I had known your reply would be so short I might not have spent so much time typing it. Anyhow, glad you think so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree