1. Joined
    01 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 15:38
    ...I keep reading that "US" Top players dont contribute much to the forums in the way of games so i thought i would post a very recent game that gave me the point that i needed...This game shows what can be achieved from a simple But deadly plan...Its one of these Rook lift games Im White...

2. Standard memberKnightmail
    Sir Laughsalot
    On my trusty steed
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 15:52
    I've corrected your error PAWN RIOT. This should be what you're trying to do. 🙂

Hope this helps! KM🙂
  3. Joined
    01 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 16:08
    Cheers Mate For correcting...I forget to tick the check box worse still i forgot to add the game!
  4. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 16:47
    18..Rfd8 or Rfb8 gives black some life support...but white will still have a much better position.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 16:49
    Thanks for posting the game! With a Colle-style position out of the opening, it is right in the middle of the recent forum discussions!

I personally enjoyed see an "open-style" Caro Kann, as there is definitely more to the opening than it's reputation sometimes suggests, and more to play against it than simply 3. e5.

Paul
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 17:241 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Thanks for posting the game! With a Colle-style position out of the opening, it is right in the middle of the recent forum discussions!

I personally enjoyed see an "open-style" Caro Kann, as there is definitely more to the opening than it's reputation sometimes suggests, and more to play against it than simply 3. e5.

Paul
    Indeed a rather excellent example of a transposition, hopefully all the Colle haters shall think twice before badmouthing the venerable way! Congratulations to Pawn Riot and thankyou for posting a very instructive game!

Jesus wept and the Munchkins sing!
  7. gumtree
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 17:26
    Very nice. I almost considered going back to 1. e4 but then I noticed the annotation to move 12 "Still book". I am just too old to be pounding all that theory back into my poor old noggin.
  8. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 17:46
    thanks, loved to read it. i appreciate it a lot, when very good players write down their own thoughts... much to learn i have...
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 18:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Indeed a rather excellent example of a transposition, hopefully all the Colle haters shall think twice before badmouthing the venerable way! Congratulations to Pawn Riot and thankyou for posting a very instructive game!

Jesus wept and the Munchkins sing!
    I don't think it counts as a Colle Structure unless you still have a pawn on e3 which blocks in your dark square bishop, otherwise anything with pawns on d4 and c3 might as well be called a Colle, which is silly.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 19:133 edits
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I don't think it counts as a Colle Structure unless you still have a pawn on e3 which blocks in your dark square bishop, otherwise anything with pawns on d4 and c3 might as well be called a Colle, which is silly.
    I disagree, this structure is typical of many Colle games, in fact the absence of the e pawn and pawns on b2, c3 and d4 is practically a Colle for all intents and purposes, indeed this structure cannot be reached from any other d pawn opening other than perhaps a London. This indeed is why the Colle is so valuable to study for 1.e4 players. Have we not seem similar rook lifts in the other thread, all based at attacking the weak h file and in particular the h7 pawn, well then!
  11. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 20:27
    Lol, youz guys. PR's sacrificial success didn't have much to do with the fact that he played something you think looks like your pet opening.
  12. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 20:59
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    Lol, youz guys. PR's sacrificial success didn't have much to do with the fact that he played something you think looks like your pet opening.
    Agreed, it has a lot more to do with classic Bishop sacrifices and typical manuevers to attack the castled king.
  13. under your bed
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 21:18
    congrats on beating another 1500 - looks more like a 1 minute game...
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 21:232 edits
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    yes thats right, it just happened to resemble two games that were recently posted which featured the same pawn structure and the same rook lift idea and sacrifice by sheer coincidence. One only needs to ask which other queen pawn opening could the same structure arise from and it well, refutes the assertion. 😕
  15. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 21:55
    And after 15. Bg5 h6 (instead of the pointless ...a5), how 'far-sighted' is Re5 then?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree