1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:27
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The problem with an immediate Rb8 is 1. Rb8 Kxb8 2. Qb3/4/5 Kc8 3. Qb7+ Kd8 4. Qb8+ Qc8 and white isn't going to win. Since white has to prevent mate in one and Rb8 isn't the answer it must be:

1. Qe6+ Qxe6 2. Nd7 Qxd7 (black has to prevent Rb8🙄 3. Rb8+ Kxb8 4. cxd7 moves 5. d8=Q#
    Thanks to you and Jusuh. But i got the point partly myself so for now that's good for me.
  2. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:28
    no way to do it without checking right away, because white's kind of in a bind down there. I think you'll have to sack all 3 pieces (Q,R,N) before you can start winning back pieces and promoting a pawn. Neat how you can get out of such a pickle down in the corner there and pull out a win. Probably would've resigned this game. 🙂
  3. London
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:28
    Well everyone found that too easy, eh?

Ok, here is the hardest puzzle I ever encountered. I don't think it's especially beautiful, compared say to Andersen-Anonymous, but heh. That got complaints.

So this stumped two IM friends of mine for over a week. And Lasker called it 'close to the ideal', for a study. White to play. How should the game go?
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:32
    Originally posted by TommyC

Ok, here is the hardest puzzle I ever encountered. I don't think it's especially beautiful, compared say to Andersen-Anonymous, but heh. That got complaints.

So this stumped two IM friends of mine for over a week. And Lasker called it 'close to the ideal', for a study. White to play. How should the game go?
    [fen]8/b1p3p1/Bk6/4N3/8/8/8/N5K1 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    For this one i'll have to set the board! No doubt about it!
  5. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:32

let me mull it over....for about a week. I'll get back to you. For what it's worth, I liked that last one.
  6. London
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:36
    Originally posted by allostery
    let me mull it over....for about a week. I'll get back to you. For what it's worth, I liked that last one.
    Oh good. Maybe I should set another easier one in the mean-time?
  7. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:41
    Ricardo Reti, 1921.

White to move. Draw.
  8. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:48
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    Ricardo Reti, 1921.

White to move. Draw.
    With no mistakes from black?
  9. back in business
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:50

this puzzle is just sick. I have no endgame tablebases inserted into my brains, you know.
  10. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:51
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    With no mistakes from black?
    No, Adam. Really, it´s a hard study.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:52
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    No, Adam. Really, it´s a hard study.
    Very hard indeed. I'll set up the board for this one as well. As soon as I get home, that is.
  12. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:53
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    this puzzle is just sick. I have no endgame tablebases inserted into my brains, you know.
    I think we just have to set the board up for this one! At least i know I have to... 😞
  13. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:55
    Very hard indeed. I'll set up the board for this one as well. As soon as I get home, that is.
    In really, the best study from the brilliant Czeck GM.
  14. London
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 14:55
    I think we just have to set the board up for this one! At least i know I have to... 😞
    It's a classic, the Reti puzzle. The idea is simple - but believing it really might happen is the difficult part!
  15. back in business
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 15:00
    I dont think it helps. I mean, N+N+B vs. B is a draw (I guess). And if white moves his bishop then black can get his pieces alive with free tempo (check). 2Ps+B vs. 2Ns+B with well centralized black king should be a draw, and even if its not, I don't think there is any point to make a puzzle with something like 35 moves long solution.

If white does not move his bishop, which I think is the case, then he must keep black king on the edge and mate him with two knights. That could be possible, given that there are some black pieces blocking possible escape squares.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree