1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 15:04
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    In really, the best study from the brilliant Czeck GM.
    I think I see what happens in the Reti one, I'll pm you to check I've got it right rather than spoil it.
  2. London
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 15:04
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    I don't think there is any point to make a puzzle with something like 35 moves long solution.
    Maybe, maybe not.

But this particular puzzle is a lot shorter than 35 moves.
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 15:07
    If white does not move his bishop, which I think is the case, then he must keep black king on the edge and mate him with two knights. That could be possible, given that there are some black pieces blocking possible escape squares.
    That was the part i was thinking about.. But i don't see how it could be done right away!
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 15:26
    TommyC mentionned that Lasker described the problem as being "close to the ideal". In chess problems the ideal is that there are no pieces or pawns on the board that are not relevant to the problem. I wonder what the purpose of the black pawn on b7 is.
  5. back in business
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 15:30
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    TommyC mentionned that Lasker described the problem as being "close to the ideal". In chess problems the ideal is that there are no pieces or pawns on the board that are not relevant to the problem. I wonder what the purpose of the black pawn on b7 is.
    you mean g7? I was wondering that too. Only explanation I could come up with was that its needed for spending tempos.
  6. London
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 15:59
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I read the Lasker quote in the fascinating Levitt & Friedgood book 'Secrets of Spectacular Chess', where I also found this position. As I recall (I don't have the book with me) the book also explained how Lasker had his own ideas about the ideal in studies which were quite philosophical. But I don't recall any more detail. Anyhow. The ideal you mention applies absolutely to the white army, as Lasker in fact noted. And without the g7 pawn, there would I believe be a dual on move 2, amongst other things.
  7. London
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 11:16

Alright, here's an easy one. But it's an easy one with a great story behind it, that Goran Urosevic of Chesslodge told me via my blog:

"It was two german players, champions of neigbhoring cities, that were playing the match. I can't remember the names now. The guy with white pieces had to hurry and catch up the last train to go home, and in this position he moved quickly Ne5. After his oponent took Bd1, he resigned and rushed to the station. On the way, he was still thinking about the "blunder" and then he found brilliant idea how to continue the game. He goes back to the caffe and resumes the game to deliever great combination. Of course, then he had quite a walk home."
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 12:121 edit
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    Ricardo Reti, 1921.

[fen]7K/8/k1P5/7p/8/8/8/8 w - - - 1[/fen]

White to move. Draw.
    White brings the king to f6 in 2 moves. If Black's 2 moves are:
    1..h4, 2..h3 -> 3.Ke6 and white queens straight after black.
    1..Kb6, 2..K*c6-> 3.Kg5 and captures black pawn
    1..h4, 2..Ka7 -> 3.Ke6 and queens before black
    1..h4, 2..Kb6 -> 3.Ke5. If 3..h3 -> 4.Kd6 and queens straight after black
    3..K*c6 -> 4.f6 and captures blacks pawn
    I think that works

EDIT: Very surprising though, im sure i would have resigned that position
  9. back in business
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 12:37
    Originally posted by TommyC
    [fen]r2q2kr/p1p2p1p/1p3p1B/2b1n3/P1ppN1b1/5N2/1PP2PPP/R2QR1K1 w - - 0 1 [/fen]
    Alright, here's an easy one. But it's an easy one with a great story behind it, that Goran Urosevic of Chesslodge told me via my blog:

"It was two german players, champions of neigbhoring cities, that were playing the match. I can't remember the names now. The guy with white pi ...[text shortened]... esumes the game to deliever great combination. Of course, then he had quite a walk home."
    easy but still pretty cool.

now back to "close to the ideal" one... I think no RHP member can solve it. How about revealing the solution? 😀
  10. London
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 13:17
    easy but still pretty cool.

now back to "close to the ideal" one... I think no RHP member can solve it. How about revealing the solution? 😀
    I think someone said they'd take a week to try to solve it!

So, maybe next week . . . Let's see how they do first 🙂
  11. Joined
    06 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 13:31
    Nd7! and black is DOOMED!
    After
    Be7, Nexf6+
    Bxf6, Rd8+
    Qxd8, Nxf6#

all other options are mate in less/same moves
  12. London
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 13:44
    Originally posted by hSilva
    Nd7! and black is DOOMED!
    After
    Be7, Nexf6+
    Bxf6, Rd8+
    Qxd8, Nxf6#

all other options are mate in less/same moves
    You garbled the notation but indeed have the right idea.

Alright, here's a rather more unusual one. I know chess players often look at these kinds of puzzles and think they're unrealistic, and therefore decide not to bother. But I think this is a mistake. There is a lot of fun to be had, even if the learning value might be low, with this kind of thing. And I'm not even sure the learning value is low.

A puzzle by the contemporary great Gregory Popov. White to play: and check mate black in 8 moves, and no more than that.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 14:20
    Originally posted by TommyC
    You garbled the notation but indeed have the right idea.

Alright, here's a rather more unusual one. I know chess players often look at these kinds of puzzles and think they're unrealistic, and therefore decide not to bother. But I think this is a mistake. There is a lot of fun to be had, even if the learning value might be low, with this kind of thing. And ...[text shortened]... y great Gregory Popov. White to play: and check mate black in 8 moves, and no more than that.
    1. Bg3 f5 2. Bxh2 Kxh2 3. Rxg1 f4 4. Qe1 Kh3 (4... d4 5. Qh4+
    Kxg1 6. Kd1 Kf1 7. Qe1🙄 5. Rh1+ gxh1=Q 6. Qxh1+ Kg3 7. Qg1+ Kh3 8. b4 d4 9.
    Kd1 Kh4 10. Qg4# 1-0

hmm....cant find it in 8 though....
  14. London
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 14:45
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    1. Bg3 f5 2. Bxh2 Kxh2 3. Rxg1 f4 4. Qe1 Kh3 (4... d4 5. Qh4+
    Kxg1 6. Kd1 Kf1 7. Qe1🙄 5. Rh1+ gxh1=Q 6. Qxh1+ Kg3 7. Qg1+ Kh3 8. b4 d4 9.
    Kd1 Kh4 10. Qg4# 1-0

hmm....cant find it in 8 though....
    That's what drove me up the wall when solving this one - so many mates not quite in 8. (There's one in 9 too.)
  15. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 18:04
    Ercole del Rio, 1750.

White moves. Draw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree