1. Joined
    14 Oct '01
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:48
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    I know Asa. Hes mostly hanging around the Marshall nowdays. Was that at the Liberty Park you saw him?
    Yes it was...I work on wall street and he was often around during lunch time speed games (for $)
  2. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:50
    This is difficult to say. But, the worst place for the bishop is right in the croner and he wasted two moves getting there. Surely there should be some way of exploiting the time he wastes?
  3. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:56
    Originally posted by hypermo2001
    Yes it was...I work on wall street and he was often around during lunch time speed games (for $)
    I've known asa for years. Is he still hustling down there?
    Sometimes hes at bryant park at 41st.
    Hes the one depicted in the movie searching for bobby fischer, as the nervous guy who says " i think i can win a pawn"
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 16:02
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    No he isn't.
    You are aware that after O-O-O, a rook winds up on d1?
  5. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 16:07
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You are aware that after O-O-O, a rook winds up on d1?
    Yes. I've addressed this several posts earlier.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 16:132 edits
    Yes. I've addressed this several posts earlier.
    I didn't see that, but so what?? Nxf3 certainly doesn't win; White sacs a pawn and gets an open g-file for attacking purposes. That's pretty routine when going after a fianchettoed position particulary an "empty" one.

EDIT: I found 4 games on the Chessbase database that had your mve order followed by 12 gxf3 Kxg7 13 h4 and the results were 2-2. So the line is certainly playable for White.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 16:22
    I know that when I'm attacking a fianchettoed bishop position, I try to trade off the bishop as quickly as possible. People have played this type of manuever against me and I think it's a good one, at least psychologically. If you're opponent likes to do something and you prevent it, I think that's in your favor. In the diagrammed position, Nc6 first may be better, but after that move White plays O-O-O and is still threatening Bh6.
    That's just it. I was stumped when he played that, and my king side attack pretty much ground to a halt. I'm not sure if that was just pscyhological or what...

D
  8. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 16:241 edit
    I didn't see that, but so what?? Nxf3 certainly doesn't win; White sacs a pawn and gets an open g-file for attacking purposes. That's pretty routine when going after a fianchettoed position particulary an "empty" one.
    The statistics and master play (or lack thereof ) say otherwise.
    (btw, Ng3ch is also sometimes played)

(edit: Nb3ch)
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 16:282 edits
    The statistics and master play (or lack thereof ) say otherwise.
    (btw, Ng3ch is also sometimes played)
    Show some statistics. I can give you tons of games where White sacs a pawn for attack down the g-file against a fianchettoed position and wins; I just played one on another site. BTW, after White castles Queenside Ng3 ain't check and I don't know what rules you're playing by, but I don't see any way for a Black Knight to get to g3 in the lines discussed.
  10. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 16:511 edit
    Show some statistics. I can give you tons of games where White sacs a pawn for attack down the g-file and wins; I just played one on another site. BTW, after White castles Queenside Ng3 ain't check and I don't know what rules you're playing by, but I don't see any way for a Black Knight to get to g3 in the lines discussed.
    lol, it's a typo. Nb3 ch.
    Like I said, I can't find master games. And as for amateur games, gamecolony has 2 black wins vs 1 white.
    Chesslive has at least equal if not more black wins. At any rate, far more black wins than is normal for dragons. So this white line is nothing to be feared.
  11. Joined
    14 Oct '01
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 16:59
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    I've known asa for years. Is he still hustling down there?
    Sometimes hes at bryant park at 41st.
    Hes the one depicted in the movie searching for bobby fischer, as the nervous guy who says " i think i can win a pawn"
    He only plays downtown during the summer since it's outside though last summer liberty park was under construction and the alternate location did not attract as many players...I think he looked elsewhere for a quick buck
  12. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 17:02
    Originally posted by hypermo2001
    He only plays downtown during the summer since it's outside though last summer liberty park was under construction and the alternate location did not attract as many players...I think he looked elsewhere for a quick buck
    Hes a character. If you play the fri rapids at the marshall, you might play him, as he likes to play when there are at least 9 players
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 17:36
    lol, it's a typo. Nb3 ch.
    Like I said, I can't find master games. And as for amateur games, gamecolony has 2 black wins vs 1 white.
    Chesslive has at least equal if not more black wins. At any rate, far more black wins than is normal for dragons. So this white line is nothing to be feared.
    When I start playing Grandmasters, I'll consider the line dubious. Until then, it looks like a typical attacking line against the Dragon to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree