1. under your bed
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 21:16
    Am I right in thinking you "only" have to hit a TPR or Live rating of 2300 in a FIDE rated tournament to get an FM title? This would explain why there are some players around 2100 who are FMs yet have never been FIDE 2300.
  2. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 22:39
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    Am I right in thinking you "only" have to hit a TPR or Live rating of 2300 in a FIDE rated tournament to get an FM title? This would explain why there are some players around 2100 who are FMs yet have never been FIDE 2300.
    I'm sure someone can go into 'good detail' about the rate requirements, but don't forget also that certain international tournaments award titles through performances...hence you can find players with literally any rate being awarded the appropriately deemed title:

http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=58&view=article
  3. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 00:14
    You need a published grade of over 2300 ELO to get a FM title NOT a one tournament performance of 2300.

There are some rules which apply to IM titles where you can freeze your grade mid tournament. If this rule did not exist there is a danger of players dropping out of a tournament once they hit the required grade (3 Norms are also required for an IM title)
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 00:33
    If you offer enough money FIDE will probably award you FM regardless of your grade.

Some 17/1800 ought to try that 😀
  5. Milwaukee, WI
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 01:11
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I'm sure someone can go into 'good detail' about the rate requirements, but don't forget also that certain international tournaments award titles through performances...hence you can find players with literally any rate being awarded the appropriately deemed title:

http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=58&view=article
    I think that is correct that if one wins certain international tournaments you can gain the FM title without an established rating of 2300. Case in point (the World Youth Championships I believe) has awarded the FM title to players with ratings even in the 2000's. Of course with an expert rating at age 8 they most likely will become a GM if they keep at the game.
  6. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 16:29
    It's no longer the case but an IM title could be won with a good performance at one Olympiad without the need to get the required norms. Wales' top player Leighton Williams got his IM title that way.

This easier route to a IM title in no longer available.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree